Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Ether
Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) * 3
    #20115107 - 06/11/14 04:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So this is my tek on how to basically make filter discs for your monotub so you don't have to stuff anymore polyfil "puff balls" tightly into your bottom holes anymore.  It's 4 layers of polyfil roll (it's a 1/2 inch thick roll of polyfil) and iron them into a sheet to create filters.  Those are cut and used to cover the bottom holes of your monotubs.  I use 4 layers because it is sufficient in making a tightly breathable hole just like it would be if you were stuffing it.  Here's how I do it.

Here is what you'll need:

High loft quilter's polyester batting (polyfil roll)

Iron

drill with  1 1/2 inch hole saw drill bit

Measuring tape or ruler

Sharpie or marker

Scissors

Silicone (there are a few kinds, make sure they adhere specifically to material such as plastic)

Coarse sandpaper or a sanding block (I prefer coarse sandpaper now)

And of course a transparent tub with a transparent lid (I use 66 QT tubs)

I'd like to note that everything I use can easily be found @ Walmart.

First I start out by taking my measuring tape and measuring up 4" from the bottom of my mono tub and making a mark.  Then I measure out 4-6" from the outside and mark. 

I use these markings to know where to drill my 1.5" holes.

Do this for all 4 holes and drill them.  Use light pressure and let the drill do the work or you may end up cracking your tubs.  Take your time on this step!  Remember the holes are permanent. 

Continue until you've made all 4 of your bottom holes.  Once you're done drill 2 more holes near the top underneath the latches (1 under each latch).

Next you will want to sand around the holes on the outside of the tub so that the silicone will have little nooks and crannies to adhere to.  I use very coarse sand paper to make decent grooves to adhere to.  Trust me do not skip this step or your ironed polyfil SFD's may not adhere very well to the plastic.

After you've done this it's time to move on to ironing out some polyfil rolls to make your SFD's.

Start by cutting out a manageable rectangle of roll to work with.  Remember each cover is 2"x2" of 4 layers of roll.  Cut out enough to make as many as you will need.

Fold the rectangle in half once and begin ironing it on a setting similar to this.

If I set it to 100% it will and does melt the polyfil making a mess on your iron, don't want that!  Iron this until it is very flat and fold it in half again making 4 layers.  (If you put a big piece of foil over the polyfil as you're ironing it, you can crank the heat all the way up and it works great!)

Once again iron this until it is very flat again.

Even this was a bit thick for my liking so I ironed a bit longer.  The ironing is the longest process but if you have the patience it is well worth it in the end.

Once it is very flat I cut off the edges that seem like they don't have 4 layers sufficiently lined up.  Don't cut off the folded edge because it simply doesn't need it :wink:

Now I measure out 2"x2" squares so that I can cut them out.  If you prefer circular filters that would work just as well but I didn't have a good template to cut out circles so I use squares.  Get as creative as you want, you're the one that has to look @ them everyday :wink:

You may need to iron the individual filters again if they still have layers in them.  Usually I ironed them for a couple more minutes and they become very thin at this point and make one solid filter.

Now you will want to add silicone along the outer edge of your square.  Add very generously so that it will create a very good seal.  The amount added to my filters in the photos probably wasn't enough, I took the pics the first time I did it and had to go back and add a generous amount.  So don't be scared of the silicone!  (I went ahead and bought a caulk gun since I first posted this and it works very well.  I apply the caulk directly to the tub now around the 1.5" drilled hole and apply the filter once the caulk is already on the tub.  I can add it much more generously this way!)

After that adhere it to the outside of the tub over the hole the best you can.  Eye ball it centering it the best you can. 

Do this for all 4 bottom holes and it should look like this.

Here's what your finished product should look like.

That's all there is to it.  No more having to stuff polyfil into your holes and remove them everytime you need to remove your lined substrate to harvest your mushrooms.  No more mushies growing into your poly making a mess.  Easy removal of your lined substrates for harvest.  More room for your mushies to grow!  This is also a much cleaner look and will allow you to move your tubs without having to worry about the bottom poly falling out.  You will want to add very loose "puff balls" of polyfil to your top holes to allow FAE (this is done after your bulk substrate is 100% colonized and you've removed the tape from your holes to bring it to fruiting conditions).  I got this idea after I couldn't find SFD's in my area so I made my own SFD's out of polyfil for my QT jars.  Follow this link if you'd like to use these SFD's for your jars as well.  How Dialated makes his ironed out polyfil SFD's

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Update to the OP: This tek was made when I use to put the filters on the inside of the tub.  Since then I've found that they stay a lot cleaner on the outside and won't get wet during the spawn run because the tape will be covering the inside of the hole during colonization of the bulk substrate.  Also I've found that once you're done with the monotub and not using it anymore, it's easier to stack them inside one another with out ripping them off if you keep them on the outside.

Update:  Pics of pins and harvest.. tried and tested :wink:

Edited by Dilated (10/09/14 11:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Dilated]
    #20115213 - 06/11/14 04:38 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

your stuffing bottom holes:likeaboss:
don't forget to add some pics of some final product to solidify everything but good job on the write up

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: cronicr]
    #20115236 - 06/11/14 04:47 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
your stuffing bottom holes:likeaboss:
don't forget to add some pics of some final product to solidify everything but good job on the write up

Thanks bro.. My next spawn will be in these bad boys.. possibly as soon as tomorrow.

OfflineTheBeardedNerd
 User Gallery

#20115280 - 06/11/14 04:55 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I like this, a lot. Smart and innovative and helps the tubs look more "polished."

My question is, how many successful grows have you done with these?

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: TheBeardedNerd]
    #20115304 - 06/11/14 05:01 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TheBeardedNerd said:
I like this, a lot. Smart and innovative and helps the tubs look more "polished."

My question is, how many successful grows have you done with these?

Well I use these filters (only twice folded and ironed) as filter discs for my jars and have yet to have a contam yet.  I've probably done 60 or so spawn jars.  I will be using these tubs for the first time tomorrow and I will keep it updated on the progress.  I don't see why it would fail though.  Time shall tell for now.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20115347 - 06/11/14 05:10 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

It provides good gas exchange with 2 layers as represented in the above photo.  4 layers should be plenty to provide "tight" representation of stuffed polyfil for the holes.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20115354 - 06/11/14 05:10 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

stick sopme to your mouth and try and breathe through it:cool:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20115356 - 06/11/14 05:11 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
stick sopme to your mouth and try and breathe through it:cool:

Already done and it worked great :rockon:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20115503 - 06/11/14 05:52 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:eyeball::eyeball:

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20122291 - 06/12/14 11:24 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well I just spawned my first tub using my new and improved tubs.  Let's hope it's a smashing success and I won't have to worry about stuffing bottom holes again!  Wish me luck! :evil2:

OfflineTryptx
Stranger

#20122310 - 06/12/14 11:30 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Isn't this basically the same thing as ez felt

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Tryptx]
    #20122387 - 06/13/14 12:00 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tryptx said:

I couldn't find proper SFD's in my area and didn't want to order them online so... How I make my SFD's (for my jars) That should answer your question :smile:

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#20122737 - 06/13/14 03:33 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

Tryptx said:

I couldn't find proper SFD's in my area and didn't want to order them online so... How I make my SFD's (for my jars) That should answer your question :smile:

YOU SIR, are my hero!!!!!!
I've been browsing the net for ages to find SFD but either the companies don't ship to Belgium or it'll cost me an arm and leg. surely 10 SFD aren't that heavy and expensive to ship. I've been using these blankets they put in kitchen hoods to absorb grease as a polyfill source and it's cheap as. about 2,5 euro for a sq meter. I'm soooooo keen on trying this out as well as for my mono tubs and lids.

one more question though, what do you use for the top holes. do you stuff them very loose like Horrigan or could you just do 2 layers of Polyfill instead of the 4 down bottom...

--------------------
Ciao mamma, guarda come mi diverto

My grows :mushroom2: Outdoor patches

InvisibleSwampEyes
 User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown Flag
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Haywire]
    #20123193 - 06/13/14 07:29 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck!  i would love for this to work.  no more picking fluffy polyfil out of stipes!  :cool::thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTryptx
Stranger

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: SwampEyes]
    #20124548 - 06/13/14 01:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Lol I don't mean sfd's.  Ez felt or eco felt is ironed polyfil that you can buy for a buck at a craft store.  I've used em with as much success as sfd's

OfflineTryptx
Stranger

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) *DELETED* [Re: Tryptx]
    #20124557 - 06/13/14 01:29 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Tryptx

Reason for deletion: My bad

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Tryptx]
    #20124597 - 06/13/14 01:38 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Trypt, thank you for posting that entire post which I have read before............ Like I said if you had entered the link I gave you, you would know that I know what ez-felt is and that I couldn't find it around here.  I did my research first before making this tek.. it's for someone who doesn't have easy access to anything else.  Is ez-felt even thick enough to mimic stuffed holes?  Or does it iron together easily?  I'm very aware of ez-felts existence as I tried to explain to you before.  If you want to use ez-felt and iron it to make it thicker to make your mono's like mine be my guest.  Next time you should try reading my responses........

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20124599 - 06/13/14 01:39 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Or how about next time you just post a link instead of hijacking my thread.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20124619 - 06/13/14 01:46 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SwampEyes said:
Good luck!  i would love for this to work.  no more picking fluffy polyfil out of stipes!  :cool::thumbup:

Thanks I just spawned to this tub and I'll be adding a pic shortly to keep everyone updated on how well its working.
Quote:

Haywire said:
Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

Tryptx said:

YOU SIR, are my hero!!!!!!
I've been browsing the net for ages to find SFD but either the companies don't ship to Belgium or it'll cost me an arm and leg. surely 10 SFD aren't that heavy and expensive to ship. I've been using these blankets they put in kitchen hoods to absorb grease as a polyfill source and it's cheap as. about 2,5 euro for a sq meter. I'm soooooo keen on trying this out as well as for my mono tubs and lids.

one more question though, what do you use for the top holes. do you stuff them very loose like Horrigan or could you just do 2 layers of Polyfill instead of the 4 down bottom...

Hey man adaption is what makes the humans so great!  I stack my tubs sometimes so I like being able to stuff them very lightly, almost falling out like Frank does.  Sometimes you might want to remove them completely.  I figured I'd leave it up to the users if they'd like to add a permanent filter to the top holes or leave it open to stuff lightly.  The top holes aren't nearly a PITA like the bottom holes.  They don't get in the way of the mushies and they don't get in the way when you're trying to pull the substrate out.  I think I will add this info to the tek thanks!  I may also like to point out that these tubs are not made to be dunked in, I wouldn't recommend getting the polyfil wet.  If you're going to dunk you subs, I recommend pulling them out and doing it in a different tub.  I've never had to dunk a sub myself.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20124643 - 06/13/14 01:54 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Spawned it last night, hopefully in 3 days it should be ready to be cased.  :toast:

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Dilated] * 1
    #20124666 - 06/13/14 02:00 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

tryptx that was informative but i agree with the link idea. Now i'm just mad at myself for spending so much on sfd's.
Dialeted i wish you the best with the new mono design. great idea and love the home made sfds i guess if i can't find ez felt i'll go with them. thanks such a massive contribution can't wait for the results  :beercat:

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: tombosley8]
    #20124778 - 06/13/14 02:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tombosley8 said:
tryptx that was informative but i agree with the link idea. Now i'm just mad at myself for spending so much on sfd's.
Dialeted i wish you the best with the new mono design. great idea and love the home made sfds i guess if i can't find ez felt i'll go with them. thanks such a massive contribution can't wait for the results  :beercat:

Thanks I hope it works out great myself.  I just know that I had so much success with these filters with zero contams yet that it was time to see if it could be implemented into the use with the monotubs.  I'm excited to have poly-less mushies lol

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Dilated] * 1
    #20125436 - 06/13/14 04:58 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:mushroom2:  :mushroomtwirl:  :mushroomgrow:  :mushroom:  :pinkshroom:  :greenshroom:
and a :chugbeer: to second that notion

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: Dilated]
    #20127181 - 06/14/14 01:12 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

2nd tub spawned.. results coming soon!

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#20128738 - 06/14/14 11:55 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Do you think it would be possible to make home made spawn bags with ironed polyfill filters?

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20129224 - 06/14/14 01:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Because of server issues I re-uploaded this.. as stated it's the 2nd tub I spawned using my new filters for the tub.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20180068 - 06/24/14 04:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Alright well I put my first modified tub here into fruiting yesterday and so far so good.  It looks about normal as compared to stuffed bottom holes. 

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20180157 - 06/24/14 04:31 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:can't wait to see pinning and fruiting.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20200689 - 06/28/14 08:51 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
:thumbup:can't wait to see pinning and fruiting.

Alright so it's been an exciting time waiting for these to pin but I woke up to these today.  One step closer...  Stoked!

Up close and personal..

So far so good!

OfflineCubenthusiast
Squared
Male

#20200833 - 06/28/14 09:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Looks super healthy, I can tell those are going to get big, gj man :thumbup:

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: Cubenthusiast]
    #20217326 - 07/02/14 11:23 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well this has been tried and tested.. so far I'd say it's a great success.  Loving these monotubs! 

And this is right behind it

Even more excited about that pinset, looking super dense..

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20218841 - 07/03/14 10:04 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

nice. Stems seem a little long though. I will give this a try.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20219121 - 07/03/14 11:33 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
nice. Stems seem a little long though. I will give this a try.

Yeah those are the genetics of that batch.  I haven't used a clone or anything from agar yet.  Though they are right behind what I have going on now.  The pinset I have behind it are super dense and meaty though so I'm assuming with great genetics these tubs will do great.  Here's some eye candy of what I have coming next.

InvisibleSwampEyes
 User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown Flag
    #20219181 - 07/03/14 11:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

impressive pinset!:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#20219678 - 07/03/14 02:16 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Hey fellers !

I've been watching this thread with interest.  kudos to Dilated's thinking and innovation.

6 years ago there was monotub discussion, re: polyfill, micropore tape, tyvek.  This old thread is an example.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8206581#8206581

From personal experience I decided that polyfill was preferable (over micropore tape and tyvek) for my monotubs given my conditions.  I like lots of FAE. However,  I do have a problem with rats pulling my polyfill and climbing inside the tubs and chowing down! (one of the drawbacks of outdoor fruiting)

so ... I watched this thread with interest thinking it may be a nice solution to my rat problem.

A piece of tyvek duct taped over my monotub holes was nice as a rat barrier .. but the FAE suffered.

I have some EZFelt which I use for GE on jar lids.  I grabbed a sheet and blew through it.  Hey ! this may work like your ironed polyfill for the lower holes and be a good rat barrier.  Like you, I could feel the flow and warmth of my breath through it.

nice thread.  next experiment for me is Dialted's ironed polyfill and EZFelt for clean, RAT PROOF, hole filters.

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: uncle_rico]
    #20221691 - 07/03/14 11:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

uncle_rico said:
Hey fellers !

I've been watching this thread with interest.  kudos to Dilated's thinking and innovation.

6 years ago there was monotub discussion, re: polyfill, micropore tape, tyvek.  This old thread is an example.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8206581#8206581

From personal experience I decided that polyfill was preferable (over micropore tape and tyvek) for my monotubs given my conditions.  I like lots of FAE. However,  I do have a problem with rats pulling my polyfill and climbing inside the tubs and chowing down! (one of the drawbacks of outdoor fruiting)

so ... I watched this thread with interest thinking it may be a nice solution to my rat problem.

A piece of tyvek duct taped over my monotub holes was nice as a rat barrier .. but the FAE suffered.

I have some EZFelt which I use for GE on jar lids.  I grabbed a sheet and blew through it.  Hey ! this may work like your ironed polyfill for the lower holes and be a good rat barrier.  Like you, I could feel the flow and warmth of my breath through it.

nice thread.  next experiment for me is Dialted's ironed polyfill and EZFelt for clean, RAT PROOF, hole filters.

Hey that's awesome, FAE really is only coming from the top holes anyways.  The bottom holes should always be stuffed tightly.  You can even silicone the top holes with a very thin layer of the polyfil roll (it's very breathable) to the top holes to prevent it getting messed with.  Though a determined enough rat could get through just about anything.. even the plastic.....  I just saw a need and wanted to fill it.  If you're not growing you're dying :wink:

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Loc: Germany Flag
    #20222482 - 07/04/14 04:19 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Probably a stupid question, but what's the advantage against normal stuffed polyfill? And should the bottom holes always stuffed tightly and the top ones loosely? Thought both should more or less loosely stuffed? But I am just a beginner which wants to learn :wink:

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: Abshroom]
    #20222681 - 07/04/14 07:14 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Abshroom said:
Probably a stupid question, but what's the advantage against normal stuffed polyfill? And should the bottom holes always stuffed tightly and the top ones loosely? Thought both should more or less loosely stuffed? But I am just a beginner which wants to learn :wink:

Bottom holes should always be stuffed tightly and the tops loosely, yes.  This provides FAE (free air exchange) to enter through the top holes and push the CO2 out the bottom holes.  My bottom holes are there permanently and because they are flat, they don't get in the way of the mushies growing upwards.  It's a real pain the ass when they grow into it and you have to pick polyfil out of your beautiful mushies.  In most cases the mushies try not to even grow up under them which wastes precious area in your tub.  You don't have to worry about them falling out when you move your tubs.  You don't have to re-stuff them every time you make a new tub.  They look neater.  You can push tubs closer to each other if you have multiple tubs, with out worrying about knocking the polyfil out.  You can pull your lined substrate out of the tub with out knocking the polyfil out or having to wiggle it around it.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20222709 - 07/04/14 07:26 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

If it works well, and it seems to, then I like the neatness and not having to redo it every time.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20222797 - 07/04/14 07:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Once I have a good monoculture, I am going to put stuffed vs flat against each other and see the results.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
    #20222844 - 07/04/14 08:14 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

dialted...how come ur avatar doesn't flash that evil rabbit when it restricts anymore?

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

#20222955 - 07/04/14 08:40 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

Abshroom said:

Bottom holes should always be stuffed tightly and the tops loosely, yes.  This provides FAE (free air exchange) to enter through the top holes and push the CO2 out the bottom holes.  My bottom holes are there permanently and because they are flat, they don't get in the way of the mushies growing upwards.  It's a real pain the ass when they grow into it and you have to pick polyfil out of your beautiful mushies.  In most cases the mushies try not to even grow up under them which wastes precious area in your tub.  You don't have to worry about them falling out when you move your tubs.  You don't have to re-stuff them every time you make a new tub.  They look neater.  You can push tubs closer to each other if you have multiple tubs, with out worrying about knocking the polyfil out.  You can pull your lined substrate out of the tub with out knocking the polyfil out or having to wiggle it around it.

But if the bottom holes should be stuffed tightly (if use polyfill) wouldn't it be easy to just use micropore tape? I got some breathable micropore tape @home, couldn't I just use them for bottom holes (probably multiple layers if it isn't tight enough) and on the top ones less layers or polyfill?

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20223015 - 07/04/14 08:52 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

it would be too restrictive i'd think with micropore, even one layer.  ud have to add several holes, like fhatster does, to make it effective

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20223047 - 07/04/14 08:57 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
it would be too restrictive i'd think with micropore, even one layer.  ud have to add several holes, like fhatster does, to make it effective

do you have a link to fhatster 's monotub? can't find him in the user list?

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20223107 - 07/04/14 09:08 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

there's been many attempts to replace polyfil in monotub holes that have not worked well, including micropore tape.

I'm surprised and glad to see this working.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20223150 - 07/04/14 09:17 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#20223558 - 07/04/14 11:14 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Abshroom said:

Many growers were after a fruiting system that was 'set and forget' ... neglect.  I'm lazy too. I have had many monotubs that were done just right and worked great. The moisture content of the substrate, polyfill just right .... conditions around the tub just right ... and everything works great.

I've learned that if I can't get everything dialed perfectly (it is difficult outside where conditions change), I would rather have an abundance of fresh air. (you can always mist)  To me, stale, moist air is a much more serious problem than the drying caused by too much fresh air.

When I have a nice pinset and a thick forest of shrooms growing, I can't keep up with all the moisture that is present in the tub.  If I don't pull some of the polyfill and let the tub breathe, I'll get mold on the substrate in the center of the 'forest'.  Some guys pull all the polyfill.  Others offset the lid, etc. Depends on your conditions.

You've got to adapt and adjust.  I still dream of 'set and forget' and many times I achieve it.

This breathable, permanent lower hole filter is interesting and useful for me.  I'm sure I'll have to adjust when I need max. fresh air.

good luck.  adapt, based on your unique conditions.

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: uncle_rico]
    #20227971 - 07/05/14 12:15 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

uncle_rico said:
Quote:

Abshroom said:

Many growers were after a fruiting system that was 'set and forget' ... neglect.  I'm lazy too. I have had many monotubs that were done just right and worked great. The moisture content of the substrate, polyfill just right .... conditions around the tub just right ... and everything works great.

I've learned that if I can't get everything dialed perfectly (it is difficult outside where conditions change), I would rather have an abundance of fresh air. (you can always mist)  To me, stale, moist air is a much more serious problem than the drying caused by too much fresh air.

When I have a nice pinset and a thick forest of shrooms growing, I can't keep up with all the moisture that is present in the tub.  If I don't pull some of the polyfill and let the tub breathe, I'll get mold on the substrate in the center of the 'forest'.  Some guys pull all the polyfill.  Others offset the lid, etc. Depends on your conditions.

You've got to adapt and adjust.  I still dream of 'set and forget' and many times I achieve it.

This breathable, permanent lower hole filter is interesting and useful for me.  I'm sure I'll have to adjust when I need max. fresh air.

good luck.  adapt, based on your unique conditions.

Spoken very well and I agree 100%.  I'm constantly adjusting the top polyfil holes so I have to keep them adjustable.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20227978 - 07/05/14 12:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
dialted...how come ur avatar doesn't flash that evil rabbit when it restricts anymore?

I've had so much trouble with the avatar's.  My supporter account expired and when it did my avatar went back to regular size.  Well I went to re upload a new avatar and it wouldn't work.  I used that one and it finally worked.  Sorry BL :frown:

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20228420 - 07/05/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:  just wondering.  i guess one good thing is....I'm not as scared of ur posts anymore...bwa ha ha

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20237341 - 07/07/14 02:08 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
:lol:  just wondering.  i guess one good thing is....I'm not as scared of ur posts anymore...bwa ha ha

Haha well I have a lot of stuff in the works so get ready for more posts soon.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20237672 - 07/07/14 03:36 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well my B+ MS using these tubs did great here's some photos.  I'm pretty confident in these tubs now so I hope others can get on board and show their results as well.

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
    #20237737 - 07/07/14 03:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:ohokayigetit:

IF it works, it works!! :shrug: For me it works then :smile:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20237740 - 07/07/14 03:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:congrats:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: cronicr]
    #20237765 - 07/07/14 03:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

nice. :thumbup:

faht

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: fahtster]
    #20238151 - 07/07/14 05:09 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
    #20239229 - 07/07/14 08:18 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:radman:

OfflineAd_Astra
Strange
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: Asura]
    #20239412 - 07/07/14 08:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Great write-up, Dilated. And awesome harvests! I have only two questions: Is there any particular reason that you adhere the filters to the inside of the tub? And about how many layers of SFD are yours equivalent to, in your estimation?

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: Ad_Astra]
    #20239450 - 07/07/14 08:58 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ad_Astra said:
Great write-up, Dilated. And awesome harvests! I have only two questions: Is there any particular reason that you adhere the filters to the inside of the tub? And about how many layers of SFD are yours equivalent to, in your estimation?

I put it on the inside because you have to cover the other side with duct tape while it colonizes your bulk substrate.  That way you don't have to stick your hands into your tub anymore than needed. And if the filters are on the inside they will not be bumped into from the outside, you don't want your hard work getting ripped off the tub.  I would say it's personal preference however, if you want to put them on the outside I don't really see a problem with it!  Just remember it gets very damp inside your colonizing tub and if your tape gets wet enough it could fall off.  Silicone is water proof :wink:

OfflineCaptainpaps
Babaji NA MA AUM
Male User Gallery

#20239501 - 07/07/14 09:06 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:mygoditsfullofstars:

--------------------

OfflineAd_Astra
Strange
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20239518 - 07/07/14 09:10 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: Thanks!

OfflineAd_Astra
Strange
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20239530 - 07/07/14 09:13 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

And if I was a lazy person and wanted to substitute SFDs, how many layers would I have to use to get the same effect?

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20239614 - 07/07/14 09:39 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

SFD's are too thick to allow for proper FAE. People have tried them before.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineBentley
 User Gallery

#20240450 - 07/08/14 02:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm going to give it a try. I'll post results soon. Thanks for the idea.

OfflineSits
Shady Vagrant

Loc: Far Out
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Bentley]
    #20240682 - 07/08/14 03:52 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Great Tek! I'd like to use this for my first MT which is due to be spawned in the next couple days and I have a question. If I have a different brand of poly, say something that comes in a pillow-sized bag rather than a roll, how might I go about achieving the desired thickness? Or even better, how did you arrive at said thickness? I saw something about breathing though it. What's that about?

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Sits]
    #20241310 - 07/08/14 09:24 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah that's tough for me to answer because I use the roll for that exact reason.  I have "fluffy" poly too but I figured that would be too much of a pain in the ass.  I use 4 layers of 1/2 inch thickness poly.  I would assume you may need a lot of poly to achieve that amount of thickness.  You will need to experiment until you reach the desired thickness. 

The breath test is done to make sure you haven't just ironed a non breathable sheet together.  CO2 gas needs to be forced out of those filters so if the CO2 from your breath can pass, so can CO2 in your tub :smile:

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Bentley]
    #20241313 - 07/08/14 09:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bentley said:
I'm going to give it a try. I'll post results soon. Thanks for the idea.

Sweet I'd love to see how it works out!

OfflineCarlosDanger
Stranger

#20253973 - 07/10/14 04:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Dilated, very nice write! I'm thinking about trying it also. :thumbup:

I wanted to ask you what species is in the pic where they're being picked into a bowl?

Looks like your B+, only a more slender stem and smaller cap. I'm trying to get to a shroom of about that proportion.

Thanks man

Edited by CarlosDanger (07/10/14 06:30 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: CarlosDanger]
    #20255919 - 07/10/14 11:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well of course the species is cubensis but the variety is what I'm sure you are referring to is Costa Rican from a spore syringe.  However a cube is a cube is a cube.. The genetics were random so your results could vary.  I have a big fruit from a costa rican flush being cloned on agar right now so I'm sure the next flush I get from that may look totally different.  Good luck finding your favorite fruit, If I were you and you were looking for a specific fruit.. get into agar :cool:

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20256588 - 07/11/14 05:27 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well you convinced me to try this!  Very nice write up and grows. Good job sir.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Sockadin]
    #20258368 - 07/11/14 03:09 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sockadin said:
Well you convinced me to try this!  Very nice write up and grows. Good job sir.

Thanks please link me to your grow so I can follow along.  I'd love to see your results.  thanks!

OfflineViridis420
 User Gallery
    #20258818 - 07/11/14 05:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Nice tek, good job Dilated I'll try this out

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Viridis420]
    #20261085 - 07/12/14 01:20 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah me two, but it is easier for me to buy the 1/4" thick polyfil roll, can't find 1/2". I hope it will work as well.

OfflineXcWABc1
Becoming a Myco Pimp
 User Gallery
Loc: HELL Flag
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20273655 - 07/14/14 09:18 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

this is a good idea and simple enough to scrape off if you did get a contaminate. just hope one spots it 1st b4 following grow as it would be a real pain in the ass to loose their grow to previous ones issues.

they dont get all nasty from cleaning them out?

--------------------
My Grow Log

Edited by XcWABc1 (07/14/14 09:24 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: XcWABc1]
    #20273894 - 07/14/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XcWABc1 said:
this is a good idea and simple enough to scrape off if you did get a contaminate. just hope one spots it 1st b4 following grow as it would be a real pain in the ass to lose their grow to previous ones issues.

No I haven't had any problems like that.  But I highly recommend not letting these tubs "spore-ulate" too much as that shit can get really sticky and turn your filters black.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20273903 - 07/14/14 09:58 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

XcWABc1 said:
this is a good idea and simple enough to scrape off if you did get a contaminate. just hope one spots it 1st b4 following grow as it would be a real pain in the ass to lose their grow to previous ones issues.

No I haven't had any problems like that.  But I highly recommend not letting these tubs "spore-ulate" too much as that shit can get really sticky and turn your filters black.

If you are a little worried about that, get some bleach water in a squirt bottle and give your filters a little misting to kill anything that may have rested on it.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20296133 - 07/19/14 12:12 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a 2nd flush guys.  Just some more fruits to help settle some uneasy minds about my filter patches.  Enjoy :smile:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20296168 - 07/19/14 12:20 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

with such a remarkable 1st flush, I'm not surprised at the sparse 2nd flush.

My understanding is this is what we want. If conditions are right, our subs will be spent after the first flush; we've gotten everything we can on 1 flush. That's efficiency.

Nice job

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20296213 - 07/19/14 12:32 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
with such a remarkable 1st flush, I'm not surprised at the sparse 2nd flush.

My understanding is this is what we want. If conditions are right, our subs will be spent after the first flush; we've gotten everything we can on 1 flush. That's efficiency.

Nice job

Thank you sir

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20296229 - 07/19/14 12:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

What was the dry weight on that?

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20296338 - 07/19/14 01:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

I didn't weigh it I apologize.  Had a lot going on.  If I had to take a guess it was around 5 or 6 oz.

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
    #20296464 - 07/19/14 01:31 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

I didn't weigh it I apologize.  Had a lot going on.  If I had to take a guess it was around 5 or 6 oz.

:hatsoff:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20296497 - 07/19/14 01:40 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:sambergfive:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20313723 - 07/22/14 11:14 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a new tub to follow, the pin set is looking amazing.  You can even see the little rings around the SFD filters.  Brings a tear to my eye :wink:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20313726 - 07/22/14 11:15 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20314656 - 07/23/14 06:52 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:hellyeah:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
    #20314746 - 07/23/14 07:29 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:fuckyeahdance:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20316630 - 07/23/14 04:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Getting biggggeerrr :smile:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20317508 - 07/23/14 07:14 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I really like the streamlined look of it. I'm putting a link to this thread in my "The Basics" page

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (07/23/14 07:17 PM)

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20317702 - 07/23/14 07:40 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

sweet pin set... definitely something to be happy about! :thumbup:

:popcorn:

faht

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

#20317740 - 07/23/14 07:46 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Getting biggggeerrr :smile:

Dude!!! I definitely want that costa rica 'strain'. :ohboycomputer:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: fahtster]
    #20317743 - 07/23/14 07:46 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:firstladyofapproval:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleGhatti
Totally not a Federal Agent
 User Gallery
    #20324286 - 07/24/14 10:47 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm going to implement these on a few tubs soon but now that you've been using them for a little while, what issues and cons have you noticed from them so far? What can be tweaked and improved if anything?

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Ghatti]
    #20324711 - 07/25/14 12:20 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ghatti said:
I'm going to implement these on a few tubs soon but now that you've been using them for a little while, what issues and cons have you noticed from them so far? What can be tweaked and improved if anything?

I haven't had any cons yet that I can think of.  If I think of anything I'll let you know but so far these tubs kick ass.  I get plenty of FAE and the CO2 seems to get pumped out the filters no problem.  I'm never going back!

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20324718 - 07/25/14 12:22 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well here's what happened since I showed the pic of that tub yesterday.  Harvested and they are in the dehydrator as we speak.  I'll let you know the dry weight tomorrow.

OfflineSits
Shady Vagrant

Loc: Far Out
    #20324753 - 07/25/14 12:32 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Well here's what happened since I showed the pic of that tub yesterday.  Harvested and they are in the dehydrator as we speak.  I'll let you know the dry weight tomorrow.

Nice canopy! :mushroom2:

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #20324757 - 07/25/14 12:33 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sweet  :thumbup:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326112 - 07/25/14 09:51 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:hellyeah:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #20326233 - 07/25/14 10:21 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Dumb question here, but how are you guys getting those myc mats out of the tubs? Just lift using the plastic? Doing my first tubs now and havent thought of this aspect yet...
One of my tubs has no liner at all which I decided to do as an experiment to firsthand see the difference it does make. Ive heard quite a few people say that they are unnecessary and side pins are nothing to worry about so I figured I would try it. How will I get the sub out of that one? I take it is easiest to harvest outside of the tub....?

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #20326258 - 07/25/14 10:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

take the poly out of the holes (unless ur doing dialted's thing) and start cutting thru the bottom holes to clean a path for ur hand/scissors later

then after that annoying harvest, u will NEVER forget a liner again.

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326283 - 07/25/14 10:29 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cowsRmeat said:
Dumb question here, but how are you guys getting those myc mats out of the tubs? Just lift using the plastic? Doing my first tubs now and havent thought of this aspect yet...
One of my tubs has no liner at all which I decided to do as an experiment to firsthand see the difference it does make. Ive heard quite a few people say that they are unnecessary and side pins are nothing to worry about so I figured I would try it. How will I get the sub out of that one? I take it is easiest to harvest outside of the tub....?

I don't pull the substrate out using the liner, I try to get my hands underneath the entire substrate because it can be a bit delicate.  You need as much support underneath it before you pull it out as to not dismantle the substrate.  I pull them out because it is much easier to harvest them without the tub getting in the way.  And yes it prevents side pins which are especially a PITA during the first flush because the substrate is so close to the tub walls still.  Even more important is it prevents bottom pins which are an even more PITA because you have to flip the substrate to remove them.  I'd rather have them all growing off the top.  Another great reason for a liner is that during the colonization of the substrate, you're going to have 100% humidity inside that tub and it's going to get very wet on the walls of the tub and it will drip down all over the sub.  Well if you have a liner it will drip behind the liner preventing pooling on your substrate.  This is also nice during all phases of fruting.  You never want your substrate too wet, you will end up with a lot of metabolites and you're inviting bacteria on to your substrate.  Hope that helped.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20326291 - 07/25/14 10:31 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:whathesaid:

I've been pondering a substrate handle system for this reason. I'm thinkin along the lines of plastic laundry baskets cut up just the right way.

This may be a benefit of using a heavy duty liner so you can lift without it tearing.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326299 - 07/25/14 10:32 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
take the poly out of the holes (unless ur doing dialted's thing) and start cutting thru the bottom holes to clean a path for ur hand/scissors later

then after that annoying harvest, u will NEVER forget a liner again.

QFT

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326310 - 07/25/14 10:35 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

I've been pondering a substrate handle system for this reason. I'm thinkin along the lines of plastic laundry baskets cut up just the right way.

This may be a benefit of using a heavy duty liner so you can lift without it tearing.

I use a very heavy duty liner, the thicker the better :cool:

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326321 - 07/25/14 10:38 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

thats a cool idea with the basket.  i just leave two opposite corners longer when i trim the liner and pull it up that way.  don't forget ur prayer beads too :lol:

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326341 - 07/25/14 10:41 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisiblecowsRmeat
 User Gallery

#20326357 - 07/25/14 10:45 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice guys. Didnt mean to hijack the thread, thought it was somewhat relevant.  I guess I will be harvesting starting thru the holes...

Do I need to continue to get plain plastic sheeting or can I use trash bags cut open? And what about these Glad scented bags I already have? Idk but I really would guess the scented ones should be avoided, right?

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #20326365 - 07/25/14 10:47 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Use heavy duty thick plastic for your liner, not the thin bags.

I like contractor bags myself.

Offlinelevonskylark
chou chou
Male User Gallery

Loc: Big Green Amore
    #20326366 - 07/25/14 10:47 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: PussyFart]
    #20326409 - 07/25/14 10:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Use heavy duty thick plastic for your liner, not the thin bags.

I like contractor bags myself.

:whatshesaid: I use heavy duty painter plastic like Frank uses.

InvisibleGhatti
 User Gallery
    #20326448 - 07/25/14 11:06 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yep. Why not just get very thick mil plastic and reuse it so you don't have to cut and trim over and over?

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326456 - 07/25/14 11:08 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

its cheap :shrug: plus using an old liner...i dunno, i suppose its ok, but, don't u like the feeling of a nice, newly spawned tub?
u could just make a template and trim once

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleGhatti
 User Gallery
    #20326474 - 07/25/14 11:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I don't see how a liner would be any more dirty than reusing the tub. I do enjoy the template idea and the handle idea

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326482 - 07/25/14 11:16 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

its no different
Quote:

i suppose its ok

but after u trim it for the first tub, its so short, it would be hard to mix ur grain/sub in it.  we usually trim the liner after spawning and before putting the lid on.  even if u mix in a different container, and pour in, id think it would be hard not to get stuff in btw liner and tub with it being pre trimmed.
i dunno...i just like it to be neat and orderly.

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326503 - 07/25/14 11:22 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

yup. I leave my liner pretty high till I'm done spawning so stuff doesn't fall between the tub and liner.

I just wrap the outside of the tub in plastic, tape the corners, then stick it in the tub preformed.

I'll be posting a mono making with liner tek soon.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (07/25/14 11:23 AM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326505 - 07/25/14 11:22 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
its no different
Quote:

i suppose its ok

but after u trim it for the first tub, its so short, it would be hard to mix ur grain/sub in it.  we usually trim the liner after spawning and before putting the lid on.  even if u mix in a different container, and pour in, id think it would be hard not to get stuff in btw liner and tub with it being pre trimmed.
i dunno...i just like it to be neat and orderly.

I'm with you, I always use a new one so that I can get my hands in there and mix it nice and even with out having to worry about it going all over the tub.  I cut it down to with in .5" after I'm done spawning so that I can add a casing layer, which I promote and think highly of :smile:

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326510 - 07/25/14 11:23 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

yup yup!!  peat moss is my best friend:thumbup:

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326512 - 07/25/14 11:24 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
yup. I leave my liner pretty high till I'm done spawning so stuff doesn't fall between the tub and liner.

I just wrap the outside of the tub on plastic, tape the corners, then stick it in the tub preformed.

I'll be posting a mono making with liner tek soon.

Since my bottom holes are filtered and permanent I can't press the liner against the taped holes.  I just spawn it freehand without any extra help.  It's actually not to difficult, but then again my beautiful gf helps me :P

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326516 - 07/25/14 11:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
yup yup!!  peat moss is my best friend:thumbup:

Never used it, it HAS to be pasteurized correct?

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326521 - 07/25/14 11:26 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I meant ask you, how do you seal the bottom holes during colonization? Tape on the inside?

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326526 - 07/25/14 11:28 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

for cubes, yea pasteurization + lime buffer. bring it up to 9-10ph with hydrated lime.  i do 60% peat, 40% verm.  add lime to the water until it gets to the Ph u want, then use that water to bring the mix to field capacity.  a little lime goes a long way, add sparingly

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326531 - 07/25/14 11:29 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
I meant ask you, how do you seal the bottom holes during colonization? Tape on the inside?

The filters are on the inside for this reason.  I tape the outside of the hole just like anyone else would normally do.  Just be careful as to not shove the tape into the hole too much so it doesn't stick to the filter.  I've never ran into this problem and I don't worry about it too much while I tape it.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20326536 - 07/25/14 11:31 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326538 - 07/25/14 11:31 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
for cubes, yea pasteurization + lime buffer. bring it up to 9-10ph with hydrated lime.  i do 60% peat, 40% verm.  add lime to the water until it gets to the Ph u want, then use that water to bring the mix to field capacity.  a little lime goes a long way, add sparingly

I don't want to get too far off topic on my thread but I will definitely be asking some questions about this in the journals.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20326967 - 07/25/14 01:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:

So I ended up getting 114 happy grams from that first flush (B+).  Hopefully I can get another oz before putting it to rest.

OfflineViridis420
 User Gallery
    #20327037 - 07/25/14 01:48 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

114 G's Nice 1st flush

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20327732 - 07/25/14 04:45 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

So I ended up getting 114 happy grams from that first flush (B+).  Hopefully I can get another oz before putting it to rest.

cool idea. my question would be what if you get some green meanie all over the tub? do you change the SFD's you made then? i mean after you dump out that tub. often times, if i get a tub hit with contam, ill just rinse it out and scrub with dish soap. then let dry and put some more polyfil in it fresh and clean. do you re-sterilize the SFD's in a pressure cooker or something after flush wrapped in foil? i don't even know what the temps are that polyfil can withstand before it would melt.

didnt read if your using a casing layer? are you? have you tried dunking your subs after 1st flush? ill tend to do that between each flush and ill get 2nd flushes equal or or sometimes better than the first flush.

also, you should try burma strain with the exact same thing your doing. the yield will likely double. its an insane strain. its hard to stop the fruits from hitting the lids. even with a 2.5" deep substrate.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (07/25/14 05:20 PM)

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: eatyualive]
    #20328543 - 07/25/14 07:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

maybe use bleach and lightly scrub the sfd and rest of tub with soap and should be goood to go?

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20328922 - 07/25/14 08:12 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

Dilated said:

cool idea. my question would be what if you get some green meanie all over the tub? do you change the SFD's you made then? i mean after you dump out that tub. often times, if i get a tub hit with contam, ill just rinse it out and scrub with dish soap. then let dry and put some more polyfil in it fresh and clean. do you re-sterilize the SFD's in a pressure cooker or something after flush wrapped in foil? i don't even know what the temps are that polyfil can withstand before it would melt.

didnt read if your using a casing layer? are you? have you tried dunking your subs after 1st flush? ill tend to do that between each flush and ill get 2nd flushes equal or or sometimes better than the first flush.

also, you should try burma strain with the exact same thing your doing. the yield will likely double. its an insane strain. its hard to stop the fruits from hitting the lids. even with a 2.5" deep substrate.

I never sterilized loose polyfil before I stuffed it and I imagine that had plenty of contaminates all over them.  But since I use 100% colonized spawn and pasteurized bulk substrate (CVG) I don't worry about contaminates (not before the first few flushes anyways).

That being said I spray my filters with a bit of bleach water before I spawn a new tub just for the hell of it.

You all spawn your tubs in open air anyways so :shrug:

I'll just keep harvesting mushies with no polyfil in them or worrying about them falling out while moving them around :smile: and if I ever get that paranoid I have plenty of filters pre ironed and ready to rock if I need to replace them.  I'd rather take 1 minute and spray them with bleach or iso then spend countless time stuffing and restuffing poly.  To each it's own.. but I like not having to worry about my mushies growing up into the poly making a mess and having to pull poly out of my beautiful mushies.  These filters don't dry out your sub like stuffing them does, infact they don't dry out the sub @ all.  I should add that point to my tek.  I don't have to worry about knocking the poly out when I pull the liner out to harvest the 1st flush either.

PS.  I'd love a burma print, that sounds amazing.. where can I get one :wink:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20329261 - 07/25/14 09:10 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

lets say you tossed out your sub after a few flushes.

do you then reuse the filter you made on the next substrate tub? from your tek it looks like your gluing them on so i think your using these on multiple substrates even after you toss the substrate out. or do you make these filters anytime you start a new tub? im just wondering because i think it would be cool to be able to re use the filters. i iused to use tyvek like this but it wasn't very consistent for me. this is a very good idea your making your own filter ports lol. id want to wrap them in foil then pressure cook them at 15 psi for 30 minutes. i think ive used polyfil in a lid before and pressure cooked it for an hour and it didn't melt. so im hoping if the filters your making don't melt i could easily just pressure cook them between new tubs i would be about to spawn.

Quote:

These filters don't dry out your sub like stuffing them does, infact they don't dry out the sub @ all.  I should add that point to my tek

what do you mean? were you saying that polyfil holes dry out your substrate? or are you talking about something else?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (07/25/14 09:27 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20329308 - 07/25/14 09:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:

do you then reuse the filter you made on the next substrate tub? or do you make these filters anytime you start a new tub? im just wondering because i think it would be cool to be able to re use the filters. i iused to use tyvek like this but it wasn't very consistent for me.

Quote:

These filters don't dry out your sub like stuffing them does, infact they don't dry out the sub @ all.  I should add that point to my tek

what do you mean? were you saying that polyfil holes dry out your substrate? or are you talking about something else?

Yes sir, I definitely leave them as they be and just spray them with some diluted bleach before respawning to it.  I figure we spawn in open air anyways with millions of contaminates, I'm not scared of my filters making things any worse.  It hasn't happened yet.. if it does I definitely will be advising people of my woo's.

I noticed when I stuff my mono's, the sub near the bottom holes dries very quickly and leaving my sub very vulnerable to contaminates.  By the 3rd flush pins are never forming near the bottom holes and it looks like a barren wasteland near the holes (bit of an exaggeration but there's no longer any colonization near the holes).  I stuff them as tightly as possible but no one can be perfect every time stuffing those, they are gonna vary.  At least I have consistency with my filters.

I do have plenty of filters for replacing if I do need them however.

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20329343 - 07/25/14 09:31 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

eatyualive said:

do you then reuse the filter you made on the next substrate tub? or do you make these filters anytime you start a new tub? im just wondering because i think it would be cool to be able to re use the filters. i iused to use tyvek like this but it wasn't very consistent for me.

Quote:

Yes sir, I definitely leave them as they be and just spray them with some diluted bleach before respawning to it.  I figure we spawn in open air anyways with millions of contaminates, I'm not scared of my filters making things any worse.  It hasn't happened yet.. if it does I definitely will be advising people of my woo's.

I noticed when I stuff my mono's, the sub near the bottom holes dries very quickly and leaving my sub very vulnerable to contaminates.  By the 3rd flush pins are never forming near the bottom holes and it looks like a barren wasteland near the holes (bit of an exaggeration but there's no longer any colonization near the holes).  I stuff them as tightly as possible but no one can be perfect every time stuffing those, they are gonna vary.  At least I have consistency with my filters.

Yeah i mean that sounds good. yeah i even do multispore inoculation open air. hmm ive never had the issues with drying. but i also make sure i don't have any loose holes. ill probably try these guys out next go round when i get some free time to make the filters. should be fun. ill post when the time comes.

now are you setting your tubs in a room with a ceiling fan or is it standing air only?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20329353 - 07/25/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

eatyualive said:

Quote:

Yeah i mean that sounds good. yeah i even do multispore inoculation open air. hmm ive never had the issues with drying. but i also make sure i don't have any loose holes. ill probably try these guys out next go round when i get some free time to make the filters. should be fun. ill post when the time comes.

now are you setting your tubs in a room with a ceiling fan or is it standing air only?

I'd love to see your results, I have yet to see anyone else use this method.. I don't blame someone for being a bit skeptical.  Multispore open air isn't very scary as long as you're sterile enough. 

I set a fan pointed at the wall near my mono, the bottom holes near that fan are the ones that dry out a bit.  But I like all the FAE going into the top holes so it's a bit of a sacrifice I'm willing to take.  But it doesn't happen with my filters :shrug:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20329370 - 07/25/14 09:40 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

yes i used to point a fan directly at the tubs and if there was a little bit of looseness to any holes it may dry out. i now use a ceiling fan and it works very well. im not skeptical at all actually id like to try it out. looks easy enough to make them. when i spawn run i put the tubs in a dark area with no light or airflow other than what can get it through the cracks. then once colonized i put em in the light with the fan. do you keep the fan on the tubs when your running the spawn?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (07/25/14 09:41 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20329410 - 07/25/14 09:54 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
yes i used to point a fan directly at the tubs and if there was a little bit of looseness to any holes it may dry out. i now use a ceiling fan and it works very well. im not skeptical at all actually id like to try it out. looks easy enough to make them. when i spawn run i put the tubs in a dark area with no light or airflow other than what can get it through the cracks. then once colonized i put em in the light with the fan. do you keep the fan on the tubs when your running the spawn?

When referring to "spawn running" I'm sure you're referring to the substrate colonizing correct?  If you are, I just keep all the holes taped up and in a room with normal ambient light.  If it's in the low 70's in my house I cover them with a blanket to keep the CO2 at a maximum (they will colonize in less than 3 days no problem).

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20329441 - 07/25/14 09:59 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

eatyualive said:

When referring to "spawn running" I'm sure you're referring to the substrate colonizing correct?  If you are, I just keep all the holes taped up and in a room with normal ambient light.  If it's in the low 70's in my house I cover them with a blanket to keep the CO2 at a maximum (they will colonize in less than 3 days no problem).

yes exactly. thanks

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20329531 - 07/25/14 10:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

NP :cool:

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20329574 - 07/25/14 10:29 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Nice job man. I'm sorry I didn't find this thread sooner.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: MudaFuka]
    #20329656 - 07/25/14 10:51 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:

Ha better late then never.  Maybe you could give it a try

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#20331147 - 07/26/14 08:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice work man. After some much needed reflection on my growing, I'm keen to start again. I'm going to follow your teks to the tee. I already made my SFD from polyfill and will make the filters for the monotubs soon. Just wanted to know what your bulkrecipe is in these monotub?

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20331202 - 07/26/14 09:17 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

MudaFuka said:

Ha better late then never.  Maybe you could give it a try

I will I have 3 27qt PE monos, a 66qt reishi mono and a reishi dub tub that I'm going to be fruiting right away I'll try it out with them. If I like it I will also use it on the 3 cambo dubs I have decided to make as one last last active grow.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20337941 - 07/27/14 01:41 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

In an attempt to make Rube Goldberg proud, I just had an idea.

What if I applied my magnetic SAB arm-hole cover idea to your ironed poly idea?

Instead of sticking the poly to the tub, stick it to a piece of magnetic vent cover. Attach a piece of vent cover with a hole in it to the tub. While colonizing, just put a solid piece over the hole and switch when time to fruit. No more tape, reusable, easy to remove filter to wash.

Bonkers, right?

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (07/27/14 01:43 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20337974 - 07/27/14 01:46 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

genius actually:rockon:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20338701 - 07/27/14 04:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Instead of sticking the poly to the tub, stick it to a piece of magnetic vent cover. Attach a piece of vent cover with a hole in it to the tub. While colonizing, just put a solid piece over the hole and switch when time to fruit. No more tape, reusable, easy to remove filter to wash.

Bonkers, right?

That's an awesome idea, I'm going to have to read over your magnetic SAB better to full understand how you made it magnetic but yeah that's a really good idea.  :rockon:

InvisibleGhatti
 User Gallery
    #20339816 - 07/27/14 08:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hurry and write it up before I get to flattening out some poly

Offlinemoricz
Inky Cap Cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: Ghatti]
    #20347079 - 07/29/14 02:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:congrats::popcorn:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20348946 - 07/29/14 09:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Bonkers, right?

cool idea. so you can make a bunch of these ironed filters, then replace each time you spawn a new tub. or use bleach ect to clean. im going to attempt to pressure cook some of the filters when i get to this. i get real lazy and would like to  make a bunch from the get go, then re use them.

also dilated, my ceiling fan broke the other night. but i woke up at 4am and turned if off. i had to point a stand up fan directly at the tubs until about 7am that morning. the tubs were full of condensation. by morning, there was no condensation and i put the fan on medium. so i see what your talking about when your tubs dry out. although when i used a fan like that in the past i wouldn't point directly at the tubs, i would set a rotation so that the fan wasn't constantly pointing at the tubs. the ceiling fan works good for me. ill put it on the high setting and that circulation works really well. it doesn't dry the tubs out. but with this subtle airflow i am able to crack half my lid and reduce rh if i need to regulate anything for any reason. with some of these old cultures i am working with, they require a little more maintenance than wanted but trying to stretch it out as long as you can is the goal.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (07/29/14 09:41 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: eatyualive]
    #20350103 - 07/30/14 06:58 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Bonkers, right?

cool idea. so you can make a bunch of these ironed filters, then replace each time you spawn a new tub. or use bleach ect to clean. im going to attempt to pressure cook some of the filters when i get to this. i get real lazy and would like to  make a bunch from the get go, then re use them.

also dilated, my ceiling fan broke the other night. but i woke up at 4am and turned if off. i had to point a stand up fan directly at the tubs until about 7am that morning. the tubs were full of condensation. by morning, there was no condensation and i put the fan on medium. so i see what your talking about when your tubs dry out. although when i used a fan like that in the past i wouldn't point directly at the tubs, i would set a rotation so that the fan wasn't constantly pointing at the tubs. the ceiling fan works good for me. ill put it on the high setting and that circulation works really well. it doesn't dry the tubs out. but with this subtle airflow i am able to crack half my lid and reduce rh if i need to regulate anything for any reason. with some of these old cultures i am working with, they require a little more maintenance than wanted but trying to stretch it out as long as you can is the goal.

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Bonkers, right?

Yeah, seems simple enough to make several at once. That's how I roll too. I'm going to be on vacation from work for a few days and planning to play with it and write a tek. The hard part is going to be cutting all the holes in the magnets. Tiny hole s with scissors are a little tougher than one might think. I'll try my hole-saw first. A paddle bit might tear it.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20355481 - 07/31/14 12:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Just a typo. Should be 1 1/2 inch

Quote:

Dilated said:

drill with 1/2 inch hole saw drill bit

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20355879 - 07/31/14 02:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for catching that, it's been updated

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20359657 - 08/01/14 09:30 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry if I'm jacking your thread, but I got the tek written and posted. I linked your thread in it. The polymagnets are at the end of the tek. Thanks again for a creative idea.

Spitball's Monotub Tek

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20379369 - 08/05/14 05:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

have you tried making thinner filters maybe for more air exchange? have you actually figured out where the fine line is between too thin and drying out? im wondering bc i think i want to try these filters with ape and some pans.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes) [Re: eatyualive]
    #20379399 - 08/05/14 05:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to be trying some ez-felt in the near future

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20381080 - 08/06/14 12:57 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Seems perfect to me, I wouldn't change them a bit.  I haven't had an issue yet.

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20397165 - 08/09/14 08:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

ill be testing your filters very soon. almost there.

ape after 3 days before a shake.

ape after a shake

im going to be testing it with ape strain side by side. i want to do some with the polyfil bottom holes and with these ironed filters side by side.

ill post results in this thread as well. but ill probably update the albino thread below becuae you know its APEFEST 2014!
Apefest 2014

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/09/14 08:16 PM)

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

#20397199 - 08/09/14 08:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Bonkers, right?

I would love to see that jedi!!! nice idea!

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20400163 - 08/10/14 05:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

so i made my filters today. i really had a tough time doing this. after 3 hours of ironing ive given up halfway until after the test run. i figure if the bins i test out work well then ill finish making the other half of the filters. im hopeful that these 64 filters will be enough to last a lifetime. i think they can be sterilized in the pc after a flush so i  intend to reuse them every time.

i followed all the steps but here is where i hit a bump. when i got to the step where the poly folded two thick i ironed as flat as i could get it, but when i folded again to make the filters 4 thick i could not get the two 2 thick polyfil sheets to merge more than 2 layers at a time. i tried for about 1.5 hours to get it flatter but it wouldn't merge for me. it could be i have a really crappy iron or the polyfil i had was extremely thick. but i could tell when i turned the heat up the polyfil was starting to stick to the iron so i turned it down on a good setting.

so what i did was cut each square into 2"x2" pieces (each has two 2 thick pieces) and ironed each one individually. this was the only way i could get the 2 double pieces to merge together. i tried higher settings, lower settings you name it. anyway, it was a little more work than i expected but I think i had a 16"x16" sheet to make 64 filters. i did about 32. here are pics. this is about as thin as i could get them and even then i feel like they are very thick. ill try 2 tubs with 2 thick filters and 2 tubs with 4 thick filters. all i have is an ape what i believe to be multispore culture going from spore works.

i did notice as you iron the filters out you actually expand the sheet a little past the 16"x16" sheet so it gives you a little room for error when you go in later and trim up the filters with scissors.

i think i just need some practice is all. they are definitely not as clean as dilated's and i did mark them up with sharpie quite a bit but i don't really care what they look like if they work.

im also doing something different. i know alot of you incubate with tape on the holes. well ive never done this. so im just going to attach the filter to the tub at spawning, spawn. let spawn run then birth and see what happens.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20401786 - 08/11/14 12:33 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

that's great dude very nice.  I find it's much easier to iron together once they are in single squares as well.  And who cares what they look like as long as they WORK.  Can't wait to hear about your success!

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#20401825 - 08/11/14 12:46 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I've been having the same problems as eatyualive. but on second attempt I just folded the sheet in four layers and then started to iron. It seemed to me that that decreased the total ironing time.

I noticed that when I started my iron on high setting the polyfill would stick, but if I gradually increase the heat the polyfill wouldn't stick to the iron. just about to 90%. when I went full power it did stick nonetheles.

--------------------

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20402475 - 08/11/14 07:22 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Haywire said:
I've been having the same problems as eatyualive. but on second attempt I just folded the sheet in four layers and then started to iron.

That's what I did too

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#20402511 - 08/11/14 07:37 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I always have that kind of trouble.
I read the tek, I think 'hmm it doesn't get any easier than this'. I try it out and I fuck it up somehow or shit just doesn't work.
(I'm not implying it's the fault of the one who writes the tek)

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20404825 - 08/11/14 05:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
that's great dude very nice.  I find it's much easier to iron together once they are in single squares as well.  And who cares what they look like as long as they WORK.  Can't wait to hear about your success!

do those look good or do they look too thick?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20405884 - 08/11/14 09:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

They look just right to me

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20405887 - 08/11/14 09:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Haywire said:
I always have that kind of trouble.
I read the tek, I think 'hmm it doesn't get any easier than this'. I try it out and I fuck it up somehow or shit just doesn't work.
(I'm not implying it's the fault of the one who writes the tek)

Practice makes perfect :wink:

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20430607 - 08/16/14 11:56 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Just started one of these tubs. I'm pretty psyched because I gotta say...Dialated's flushes look pretty damn nice.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20431246 - 08/17/14 03:33 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I was going to try this but I could not find my sheets of quilting poly so I want to the craft store to buy some but I just ended up getting ez felt instead.:shrug:. I am going to try your melted plastic lid tek though.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20432845 - 08/17/14 01:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I also have ez felt ready for experimenting. When I try too blow through it, it seems about the same resistance as the ironed poly

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20433185 - 08/17/14 02:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

im doing up two tubs tonight with your filters. APE!

Uh oh. Well i didn't silicone the ports in but i used painters tape. i did one tub with 2 thick filters and one with 4 thick filters.

tubs are spawned and incubating now. Here is what they looked like.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/17/14 11:30 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20440086 - 08/18/14 10:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:likeaboss:

Just hope that tape keeps it nice and tight.  Don't want any FAE getting through the bottom holes.  Just C02 getting pushed out!

:like:

Can't wait to see your results

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20443866 - 08/19/14 05:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Amazing approach Dilated, the simpler the better:thumbup:. I just have one question. Have u try to use 1 layer of ironed-polysheet for the top holes instead of loose poly?

Edited by DeepHyphae (08/19/14 05:31 PM)

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: DeepHyphae]
    #20444723 - 08/19/14 08:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

day 2. the ape is a little slower than most strains. if you look closely you can see the filters in the background.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/19/14 08:03 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20444790 - 08/19/14 08:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:fuckinawesome:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20444862 - 08/19/14 08:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys, I just autoclaved two pieces of poly without being ironed to see if they can handle the 15 psi/120°C for 20 min and as u can see in the pics they still intact. Now Im going to make my filters :tongue2:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20444906 - 08/19/14 08:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hey man, is this you: Hyphae?

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20445016 - 08/19/14 08:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Nop im a different person

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20445249 - 08/19/14 09:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I've read some of your posts, if it means anything, I think you know what's up, lol...at least with aluminum foil

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20445296 - 08/19/14 09:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It means:thumbup: thks for ur support

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20449228 - 08/20/14 04:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hello, I have made my ironed 1/2" thick poly filters. It was really easy and take me no more than 2 min for each piece of 2"x2". My question is

1)The thickness of the filter after folding two times and ironing was 9 mm. Is that what u got for the bottom holes?

2)If I use a filter of 4-5 mm thickness can I put it in the upper holes?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20449329 - 08/20/14 05:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't put ironed out poly in the top holes. You want the poly on top to be so loos that its almost falling out. I leave my top holes completely open.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20449377 - 08/20/14 05:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I have read that but if u said there is even no need to use them in the upper ones I will give it a try. By the way

1)What is the %RH of the room/place outside of your monotub? I know the mono will build its own RH just want to be sure before I do it

2)I also have read that I should take them out when the mushrooms are elongating but not at the early beginning of the fruiting induction when primordia are setting.

Edited by DeepHyphae (08/20/14 05:15 PM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20449430 - 08/20/14 05:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I'm fanatical about FAE. MY monos aren't set and forget I have to mist them now and then but for me it's worth it for the extra fresh air. The RH in my house is really low in the winter (less than 20%). In the summer its higher but I'm not sure how high I stopped using hygrometers a long time ago.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineDeepHyphae
Experimenter
Male User Gallery

#20449621 - 08/20/14 05:56 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I see, could you tell me how often is watering "now and then"? and

can u roughly estimated the amount of water used on each watering?

thks

Edited by DeepHyphae (08/20/14 05:58 PM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20449660 - 08/20/14 06:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Fucked if I know.:shrug: I just mist when it looks dry until the surface of the sub glistens. Maybe once every day or two depending on how dry my house is.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20449794 - 08/20/14 06:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

day 3 in the tubs. usually the substrate is colonized by now with supercake in it. but the ape is slower than most strains. if it were burma it would be colonized.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/21/14 05:47 PM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20449820 - 08/20/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Do you always tape your liners to the side of your tubs?

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20450435 - 08/20/14 08:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I don't tape mine anymore since I have my new filters on them.  Can't tape them anymore.  IMO you don't need tape anyways unless you are doing it by yourself.  I usually have a close trusted friend pour while I scoop it out and mix it.

I don't want to use permanent filters for the top holes, as MF said, I adjust my poly a lot and I want the top poly almost falling out.  Sometimes, as MF stated, I take it completely out.  Especially when I see my shroomies are fuzzy footing.

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20450506 - 08/20/14 08:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I tape my liners when I mix my sub but then I take off the tape so the liner can move with the shrinking substrate. I just noticed eatyoualive still had his tape on and was wondering if he forgot to take it off.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #20450516 - 08/20/14 08:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, the liner becomes pointless if it's taped to the walls of the tub.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20450527 - 08/20/14 08:20 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Roger that sir, big 10-4

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20450537 - 08/20/14 08:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Yea, the liner becomes pointless if it's taped to the walls of the tub.

QFT

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20451062 - 08/20/14 09:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I use always "with wings" it has adhesive so the liner sticks in place.

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#20451076 - 08/20/14 09:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

yep. the liner needs to adhere and move with the shrinking substrate.

Eats must have forgotten to take that tape off.  or maybe he's got a technique he's not telling us about.  some evaporation and side pinning in that nice moist zone.

I use my liner to pull the substrate out of the tub for easier harvesting.

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: uncle_rico]
    #20451240 - 08/20/14 10:09 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i used to lay the subs in with the black plastic under it. i would not use tape at all. and when the tub would start to condensate, id stick the black plastic to the sides of the tub so that it would kinda stick to the sides. that was with a casing layer.

old example

now i dunk the subs between flushes. i use the liner for maintenance more. the tape is so that the liner doesn't come off or out of the tub when im dunking my substrate. after harvest, i get a sink spray hose with pressure. spray the surface of the substrate and kind of clean it off. ill kind of wrap the corners of the black plastic over the substrate surface then put the jugs on top. i fill the bin full of water with two or three big gallon jugs of water on the substrate.  the substrate is ausually under the water. so that the sub is fully submerged for more than 8-10 hours. by morning, the substrate is sometimes already touching the surface of the water level when it has redyrated. let it sit 8 to 10 hours. then i pour it off. when im pouring 6 tubs in a row off at an angle its easy to lose a sub into the bathtub. im usually doing it quickly due to time constraints. so, the tape really helps. most of the time when my subs go in for 2nd flush. the substrate is pulled away from the tub. i run my ecosystem different.

1st flush it looks like your pic rico. where the liner is sticking to the substrate. but i pretty much treat it like a big sponge. ill dunk then pour out, then just set it back in the room with the fan. fruiting will begin a few days later. i don't get side pinning at all. not at all.

here is an example of a 2nd flush thats been dunked

dunk like this.

the wheat grass/coir subs i use are like a sponge. it takes to water well and swells up between flushes. when the third flush begins generally is when the substrate will pull away from the sides for me.

also most of the time the plastic sticks to the sub like your saying, but at times, the dunk may cause this to come away. it doesn't deter the flushes in any way. the dunk gives so much extra moisture that it works out well.

im lazy man. i don't want to do shit once i put it all in there other than dunk between flushes. lol im not adding anything, im not spraying anything, i don't want to remove anything. i want to let it be...fly butterfly....fly...

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/20/14 10:25 PM)

InvisiblecowsRmeat
 User Gallery

#20451985 - 08/21/14 12:50 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Eatualive, what is that pe looking, black capped shroom strain? Is that APE? I have never seen APE in person so I wouldnt know im just curious. They look crazy awesome. They look like giant pe aborts or something.

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20452685 - 08/21/14 05:47 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cowsRmeat said:
Eatualive, what is that pe looking, black capped shroom strain? Is that APE? I have never seen APE in person so I wouldnt know im just curious. They look crazy awesome. They look like giant pe aborts or something.

yes APE. check this thread out if you like ape.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13082849/fpart/3/vc/1#13082849

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineFunguy1146
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #20454723 - 08/21/14 04:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I basically followed this Tek to a T including the monotub but when I was Ironing the polyfelt I was having trouble getting the iron to the right temp. It would either get too hot and start to stick/melt, or not hot enough. So I figured out a little trick that worked really well, if you use a sheet of aluminium foil shiny side down to the felt you can take a lot of the guess work out of finding the right temp.
Dilated, or anyone who uses this Tek should try using a sheet of aluminum foil. I was struggling with this a lot but I finally got it figured out.
Thanks for the Tek Dilated, very much appreciated.:sporedrop: :rockon:

--------------------
Words are uttered, but fail to enlighten.

Here is the link to my Journal (a work in progress)

Pathetically small trade list

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Funguy1146]
    #20455066 - 08/21/14 05:42 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

day 4:

almost there, a little slow but almost there.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

#20458988 - 08/22/14 12:09 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Funguy1146 said:

Dilated, or anyone who uses this Tek should try using a sheet of aluminum foil. I was struggling with this a lot but I finally got it figured out.

I'm definetely gonna try that out, dude!
This thread is epic! Someone writes a tek, people keep adding stuff to it. everybody keeps learning!
Just wanted to get that off my mind!

--------------------

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20460744 - 08/22/14 05:10 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Funguy1146 said:
I basically followed this Tek to a T including the monotub but when I was Ironing the polyfelt I was having trouble getting the iron to the right temp. It would either get too hot and start to stick/melt, or not hot enough. So I figured out a little trick that worked really well, if you use a sheet of aluminium foil shiny side down to the felt you can take a lot of the guess work out of finding the right temp.

Hey that's pretty cool, thanks for the information!

:like:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20460878 - 08/22/14 05:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Day 5:

incubating with the filters in with tape on the bag oh yeah. still working. this substrate and strain are extremely slow. it should be colonized already. well it was from a 5 year old spore syringe. then the pf jar was kept for 3 months in the fridge after full colonization prior to p2ging the pf jar to grain. so i guess this ape has an excuse as to why its so damn slow to colonize. i always add 2 weeks to everything when it comes to fruiting this strain. sometimes i feel like im waiting for weeks.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/22/14 05:47 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20460892 - 08/22/14 05:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Day 5:

incubating with the filters in with tape on the bag oh yeah. still working. this substrate and strain are extremely slow. it should be colonized already. well it was from a 5 year old spore syringe. then the pf jar was kept for 3 months in the fridge after full colonization prior to p2ging the pf jar to grain. so i guess this ape has an excuse as to why its so damn slow to colonize. i always add 2 weeks to everything when it comes to fruiting this strain. sometimes i feel like im waiting for weeks.

I'd say it's doing just fine.  Let's hope it doesn't have the bacteria bug :wink:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20461004 - 08/22/14 06:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dilated said:
Quote:

eatyualive said:
Day 5:

I'd say it's doing just fine.  Let's hope it doesn't have the bacteria bug :wink:

oh no what i mean is that the ape strain is slow to my tastes. the substrate looks great. im complaining that it should be colonized already because usually if i add supercake to my mix its around 3-4 days full colonization. its slower than most strains and i get impatient with it. but when it fruits. damn its worth the wait because it is so cool looking. can't wait to try the filters out for sure.

i might do as you do with the rtv but im wary because i dunk and really abuse my substates. so what i was planning on doing was pressure cooking them between each new substrate when im setting up the tub. ill just tape them back again. thats really the only reason im using tape.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/22/14 06:18 PM)

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20461765 - 08/22/14 08:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Here's one of mine (PE) Day 5

Edited by Asura (08/22/14 08:33 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: Asura]
    #20461805 - 08/22/14 08:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hell ya, I can't wait to see how well they fruit.. That's the true test

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20461812 - 08/22/14 08:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Those look like baby pins to me asura!  Not sure why it's doing that after 5 days though.. is that 5 days into fruiting?

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20461915 - 08/22/14 08:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I fruited somewhere on 8/17. I don't see any pins but I haven't looked too close.
I am hoping for tomorrow. The first pins get marked as cloning candidates.

I have high hopes for this tub (and the other 3 I have just like it).
I fucking love these filters! I know you aren't supposed to worry about
monotubs, but I worry about these even less. It's like it's just dialed
in perfectly.

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20461932 - 08/22/14 08:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I swear all those little white specs look like the beginnings of pins to me :shrug:.  I'll be spawning a few more of these tubs tomorrow :smile:

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20461937 - 08/22/14 08:56 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I hope you are right!

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20461955 - 08/22/14 08:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Asura said:
Here's one of mine (PE) Day 5

excellent. do you have the ironed filters on the inside of the tub?

it also looks like you are incubating with the filter in and no tape on the sides.

how long on average does it take for pe to colonize your bulk subs? i am almost 100% after 5 days with a spawn ratio of 1 quart spawn for every 4 quarts substrate. its 4 quarts spawn and 16 quarts substrate per tub.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/22/14 09:02 PM)

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20462054 - 08/22/14 09:16 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The ironed filters are on the inside of the tub because you need to tape the holes
on the outside during colonization.

I am not incubating. This tub has been fruiting since 8/17, so no tape.

I am really new to this. This is my first grow since 2012. I soaked the
grains before I spawned them per Frank Horrigan and they colonize fast as shit.

I am also using a ridiculous spawn ratio. Probably a little more than 1:1. The
mycellium is so thick it looks like it will bust through the tub.

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20462083 - 08/22/14 09:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Asura said:
The ironed filters are on the inside of the tub because you need to tape the holes
on the outside during colonization.

I am not incubating. This tub has been fruiting since 8/17, so no tape.

I am really new to this. This is my first grow since 2012. I soaked the
grains before I spawned them per Frank Horrigan and they colonize fast as shit.

I am also using a ridiculous spawn ratio. Probably a little more than 1:1. The
mycellium is so thick it looks like it will bust through the tub.

cool. but how long did the spawn run with the 1:1 ratio? or how long did it take to colonize the substrate?

thats ok it looks good. the pe varieties are usually slower than most cubensis. i was wondering if the ape were on average with say the pe your doing.

ive never taped holes during incubation and i have fat ass flushes no issues. im of the mind to do less to accomplish the same goals.

did you rtv the filters on the tub?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/22/14 09:25 PM)

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20462243 - 08/22/14 09:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Not long. 7 days :shrug: I am getting some phenomenal results right now.

The filters are put in place with silicon, which I like, because you can peel them
off if you have to. The top holes are very, very loose polyfill.

I colonize for 10 days minimum no matter what. I have 2 tubs right now that are fully colonized after 6 days, but I will go 10 days or even a little longer to consolidate.

PE is slower than shit on grain (IME). What you are looking at is an isolate after 6
transfers on agar. But for whatever reason, once I put the PE to the substrate
it colonizes fast as hell.

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20462277 - 08/22/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Here's another tub that's only been going for 6 days:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20462307 - 08/22/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Asura said:

The filters are put in place with silicon, which I like, because you can peel them

I colonize for 10 days minimum no matter what. I have 2 tubs right now that are fully colonized after 6 days, but I will go 10 days or even a little longer to consolidate.

PE is slower than shit on grain (IME). What you are looking at is an isolate after 6

yeah thats good time. yes its slower on grain than other cubensis. but also, i got my grain jars to colonize in 7 days. not bad for ape. i find it slower on bulk subs also. where i will probably have full colonization in 7 days. i would normally have full colonization a few days earlier with other strains. they are extremely slow to fruit for me. the slowest.

thanks for the info. sorry i think im off topic. sorry dilated. ill stick back on topic.

Edited by eatyualive (08/22/14 10:08 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20464704 - 08/23/14 01:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Quote:

Asura said:

yeah thats good time. yes its slower on grain than other cubensis. but also, i got my grain jars to colonize in 7 days. not bad for ape. i find it slower on bulk subs also. where i will probably have full colonization in 7 days. i would normally have full colonization a few days earlier with other strains. they are extremely slow to fruit for me. the slowest.

thanks for the info. sorry i think im off topic. sorry dilated. ill stick back on topic.

It's not off topic IMO.  I like reading about peoples experiences with these.  Good stuff guys

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20464728 - 08/23/14 01:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

asura here is another question for you. im looking at dilated's op. hes siliconing the filters to the outside. i see your doing to the inside.
were your poly filters added after you colonized the substrate?
or did you have the tape over the holes on the outside and you had already siliconed the filters on the inside prior to spawning the bulk substrate in the tub?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/23/14 02:00 PM)

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#20464791 - 08/23/14 02:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

SBJ's magnet tek will deal with these issues. or taping on the inside and gluing the filter on the outside

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20464965 - 08/23/14 02:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

today.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/23/14 03:02 PM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20464992 - 08/23/14 03:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20464995 - 08/23/14 03:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tombosley8 said:
SBJ's magnet tek will deal with these issues. or taping on the inside and gluing the filter on the outside

yeah im doing this next. i have the magnets, i just have not had the time to cut them yet. been busy doing other things. i will soon!

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20465118 - 08/23/14 03:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
asura here is another question for you. im looking at dilated's op. hes siliconing the filters to the outside. i see your doing to the inside.
were your poly filters added after you colonized the substrate?
or did you have the tape over the holes on the outside and you had already siliconed the filters on the inside prior to spawning the bulk substrate in the tub?

The filters were added when I built the tubs.

I wanted to tape the holes during colonization so I put them on the inside.
This is just a test run. If I get good results, I am going to combine this
with Spitball Jedi's magnet tek and make some proper tubs.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20465219 - 08/23/14 03:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
today.

:fuckinawesome:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20469335 - 08/24/14 10:45 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

day 7 with filters in during incubation. no issues. this will be birthed tomorrow. one tub has 2 ply ironed polyfil filters. the other tub has 4 ply filters.

if the results are the same and the 2 ply work just as good, ill make those from now on because it was a little less work for me.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20469362 - 08/24/14 10:51 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
day 7 with filters in during incubation. no issues. this will be birthed tomorrow. one tub has 2 ply ironed polyfil filters. the other tub has 4 ply filters.

if the results are the same and the 2 ply work just as good, ill make those from now on because it was a little less work for me.

Show us your dicks!

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20469439 - 08/24/14 11:09 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:

Being as you already have FAE during colonization because you don't have your holes taped, I don't know what you mean by "birthed". Can you explain what you are going to do tomorrow when you birth them?

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20469610 - 08/24/14 11:40 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

yes. by birthed, i am taking them out of my draft free incubation area. and yes my incubation is a dark steel storage cabinet with the doors closed. i am then placing them in the room with the fan. these are two separate areas. there will soon be a fan pushing air around the tubs. ive done it this way since this posted thread here in 2003. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3026085/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1=

never changed one thing im showing here as far as incubation. ive always used polyfil in all holes. then when ready to begin pinning i introduce the fanned air.

this whole idea of using tape is new to me. ive never done this ever.

also i never get any early pins or side pins or anything like that. once the conditions are changed, then pinning begins up to a week later.

Edited by eatyualive (08/24/14 12:23 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20469953 - 08/24/14 01:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the clarification. I've never done it without taping.:shrug: I do it because it's what I was told to do. May just be more evidence of my mindlessness.

The thing I don't like about you is you make me question myself :lol:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20470036 - 08/24/14 01:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:

Thanks for the clarification. I've never done it without taping.:shrug: I do it because it's what I was told to do. May just be more evidence of my mindlessness.

The thing I don't like about you is you make me question myself :lol:

there is nothing wrong with taping the holes. im not trying to insult anyone who does this. don't question yourself, do what works for you. different methods work for different people. just like i like dr pepper and other people like coca cola. there are ten ways to skin a cat. ill do it the easiest and fastest way i can. if i see something that makes sense to make things easier, hell yes ill use it. i don't care if everyone says it won't work. try it first before you deny it. ill test anything that looks interesting 8 times before i decide not to use it. even if it means i get some contams on the way there. but in the end if i learn to do the technique properly and it helps speed things up in the long run, why wouldn't i sacrifice a little hurt for more gain in the future?

personally, i feel i achieve the same results without using tape. in addition it is one more step to expose the substrate to open air. and at the same time taking pictures is as well lol. i don't usually have any issues if i make the area clean prior to doing this. but, if i can get the same results without taping anything, why tape it? i really don't want to touch that tub until its time to birth. when i birth i just pick the tubs up and put them in the room with the  fan. that is it. i don't want to take tape out and add filters here when i can do that at spawning ect.

also, people use different types of tubs. maybe that's the difference. i use 3 types. two different types of iris with clasping lids. those tend to get more moisture on the lids for me than the iris 66 quarts i use. the lids on these are a little looser. so they don't clasp quite as tight on the top. they have a snap in mechanism on both short sides of the tub. maybe people have issues because of the tub? i have no idea.

i think some people incubate in the same room that they are fruiting in. i see pictures like this quite often. im not doing that, so maybe thats the difference. i don't know.

things get lost in translation over the years you know. some of the older methods don't even clarify things like that. now, its a little easier to take lots of pictures and upload hundreds at a time. when i was first on this site. i had to upload each pic one by one. it got to the point that when i first made that post, i didn't even want to show anyone how i did it because it was difficult to upload the pictures to express it. it wasn't that i didn't want to share info, it was difficult at the time. now things are much easier and can be explained a little better. where now i can do it in hours, it would take me days to get things uploaded and put in the right place.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/24/14 01:32 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20470227 - 08/24/14 02:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, it is much easier to post pics and stuff for sure.

I was thinking the same thing you were about the tape. My colonizing tubs and fruiting tubs are in the same room. Based on what I've been told and not with personal experience, leaving the tape of would be too much FAE in my situation.

Putting your colonized tubs in a cabinet may be the big difference. I'll have to play with that concept.

I don't mind questioning myself, I was just being goofy. Questioning myself is the first step to opening my mind.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20470380 - 08/24/14 02:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Yeah, it is much easier to post pics and stuff for sure.

I was thinking the same thing you were about the tape. My colonizing tubs and fruiting tubs are in the same room. Based on what I've been told and not with personal experience, leaving the tape of would be too much FAE in my situation.

Putting your colonized tubs in a cabinet may be the big difference. I'll have to play with that concept.

I don't mind questioning myself, I was just being goofy. Questioning myself is the first step to opening my mind.

this makes perfect sense to me completely. if your using the same room as your incubation and your fruiting, this room likely has a fan running. in this case, i would tape the holes. i think thats exactly where the difference is here. its the circumstances of different grow rooms and setups.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20476137 - 08/25/14 06:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Day 8: birthed into fruiting conditions. dialed in the top holes. left the filters in the bottom holes. tubs are under a ceiling fan. these are two different tubs that are shown. one has 2 ply thick ironed filters, the 2nd has 4 ply thick ironed filters. i got tired and only did half the batch. so some of them were only two ply so i figured why not try them. hell, one day im hoping i can use these on all the holes. if i can get away with maybe a 1 ply on the top that would be great. but lets begin here.

ive tried many things over the years. micropore tape, press n seal ect ect. im hoping i can tweak these filters to the use i intend for each one.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/25/14 06:58 PM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20476224 - 08/25/14 06:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:jiggly:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20476652 - 08/25/14 08:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
Day 8: birthed into fruiting conditions. dialed in the top holes. left the filters in the bottom holes. tubs are under a ceiling fan. these are two different tubs that are shown. one has 2 ply thick ironed filters, the 2nd has 4 ply thick ironed filters. i got tired and only did half the batch. so some of them were only two ply so i figured why not try them. hell, one day im hoping i can use these on all the holes. if i can get away with maybe a 1 ply on the top that would be great. but lets begin here.

ive tried many things over the years. micropore tape, press n seal ect ect. im hoping i can tweak these filters to the use i intend for each one.

Those things look like they're ready to rock the fuck out. 

Can't wait to see your albino dicks!

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20476666 - 08/25/14 08:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

oh yeah. so far, the filters are working just fine! yeah i fed them shroom roids this time.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20476682 - 08/25/14 08:32 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
oh yeah. so far, the filters are working just fine! yeah i fed them shroom roids this time.

How many colonized jars was it again?  Gf asks "what are shroom roids" :laugh2:  I guess I'm curious too :smile:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20476700 - 08/25/14 08:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

there were 4 quarts of spawn used to 16 quarts of substrate per tub.

so a total of 8 quarts to 32 quarts of substrate. you know plus some water and shroom roids = supercake formula.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (08/25/14 08:38 PM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20476729 - 08/25/14 08:41 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Shroom roids?  Do you even lift brah?

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20480988 - 08/26/14 07:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

nah bra i let the mushies do the lifting lol... shocka brah shocka

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20481229 - 08/26/14 08:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
nah bra i let the mushies do the lifting lol... shocka brah shocka

:laugh2:

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #20481309 - 08/26/14 08:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

eatyualive, I am on the same schedule as you I think for my tubs.
But goddamn it, I have one tub fruiting right now with nothing but muties in it.

PE is some kind of inbred retard strain. I'm going to have to get
a good fruit and clone it I think.

OfflineXcWABc1
Becoming a Myco Pimp
 User Gallery
Loc: HELL Flag
    #20481546 - 08/26/14 09:22 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Damn I forgot about this thread. Has anyone thought to try velcro instead of silicone for the bottom holes to adhere the polyfil just a thought.

--------------------
My Grow Log

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

Re: Monotub Tek (Ironed polyfil filters for bottom holes!) [Re: XcWABc1]
    #20481549 - 08/26/14 09:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

XcWABc1 said:
Damn I forgot about this thread. Has anyone thought to try velcro instead of silicone for the bottom holes to adhere the polyfil just a thought.

Velcro wouldn't create a good enough seal IMO

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #20481855 - 08/26/14 10:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Why is a perfect seal needed?

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20481894 - 08/26/14 10:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:

Quote:

PussyFart said:

Well in theory, the bottom holes are suppose to be stuffed tightly with polyfil.  So that's why when I came up with this idea, I made sure the filter was covering the hole with 4 layers and used silicone to seal it firmly against the hole.  The idea is to only allow GE and not FAE. 

It would seem to me that if I was to use velcro, there would be FAE getting through the velcro counteracting the goals set out by the filters.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20482935 - 08/27/14 06:46 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

There is exactly 1 way to find out. Thx PF, i will pick up some velcro tonight and start some preliminary testing. My biggest concern is the velcro not sticking to the plastic very well.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (08/27/14 06:50 AM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20482970 - 08/27/14 07:08 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
There is exactly 1 way to find out. Thx PF, i will pick up some velcro tonight and start some preliminary testing. My biggest concern is the velcro not sticking to the plastic very well.

Hey I used velcro to stick that 4 foot light to my wall in my grow closet Jedi.  It should stick great, it's definitely worth trying.  I'd love to see the results as well.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20482977 - 08/27/14 07:11 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I'm on it, brother. I just have to wait for some more spawn. What brand velcro did you use?

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (08/27/14 07:12 AM)

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20482984 - 08/27/14 07:14 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
I'm on it, brother. I just have to wait for some more spawn. What brand velcro did you use?

That velcro is pretty expensive shit.  I paid $25 for the roll of it (it's 5 lb test velcro) they had 10 lb and 15 lb as well I believe.  They get more expensive of course.  But it would probably be enough to make you 20 tubs

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20482989 - 08/27/14 07:17 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The good stuff is expensive. I've used the two sided stuff for straps on my motorcycle.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineDilated
KB Cubensis Fanaticus

#20486959 - 08/28/14 12:33 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
The good stuff is expensive. I've used the two sided stuff for straps on my motorcycle.

Well damn that's pretty strong.  I'm gonna have to start velcro'ing everything to the walls :laugh2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals