Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
Syringe / Spore Print Questions
    #2010622 - 10/15/03 02:42 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

OK guys I have a few questions for the verterans of this forum.

1. When making a spore print what is the best material to print on? I've seen paper, and alumium foil. Any others?

2. When using a syringe, what is the best way of stopping contamination from spreading, I've been using a lighter to sterilize the needle point but I have hear of alcohol and a tissue being used? Any recommendations either way?

3. Lastly, I recently purchased some syringes because I want to create a back up supply in case I ever want to study these spores again. Has anyone used glass syringes?? I bought cheap B-D luer plastic ones but am thinking of taking the extra step and getting some glass ones, they seem like them would take more abuse when in times of turmoil. ie. moving, dropping.
p.s. I won't be throwing them around or anything, but I just wanted some feedback.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehexkrak
VisualDecintigrator

Re: Syringe / Spore Print Questions [Re: ShrooomKing]
    #2010712 - 10/15/03 03:50 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

1: Aluminum foil works very well, but so do overhead projector transparency's work the best in my experiance. If you choose to go with aluminum foil, choose a heavy thickness.

2: Alchahol wipe, then flame will give you more than adiquite results. For better protection look into building a glovebox, or using an oven as one(there are teks on this site, just take a look.)

3: I'd stick with the plastic, some of them get pretty fancy and most will take more abuse than glass, and if they do break they're far less expencive.

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.

--------------------

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them more. --Oscar Wilde

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #2010717 - 10/15/03 03:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

1. I use foil as I can wipe it clean with iso before printing, you want all the iso to evaporate before you starting printing.

2. Make sure the syringe is sterile before hand (20mins PC if reusing), I would flame the needle rather than wipe as that gets anything inside the needle too. I made myself a alchohol lamp out of a jam are and bit of rope, the flame is cleaner than a lighter, although that does not make much difference.

3. I would not bother with glass syringes, I would say they would take less abuse, the only problem I have with the PP ones is that the marks on the side come off after a while, but they are like the budgy (cheap). Plus I just love opening those little sterile packs, make a feel almost like a professional (a professional what I am not sure).

Edited by psilomonkey (10/15/03 03:55 AM)

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: Syringe / Spore Print Questions [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2011008 - 10/15/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

pc'ing plastic needles? you can do that...i mean doesn't it melt? what psi do you use for 20 mins?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #2011014 - 10/15/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i either use paper for printing lots at once (then cut up the prints and seal them folded in foil squares) or go directly onto foil. i've received prints on wax paper, glass slides, and plastic. most of the plastic ones were either really hard (practically impossible in some cases) to scrape the spores off, or the exact opposite, with shards of spores all in a corner of the baggie. for these latter cases, a tek in the faqs tells how to recover them assuming the baggie was clean. some people also print directly into a jar bottom, to make the syringes at the same time.

i use a flame til it's glowing red, then an alcohol wipe to cool it down. i have lots of needles, so i change needles often on the same syringe, if i have any doubt at all or if it has been sitting around.

good luck  :thumbup: :kiss:

--------------------
buh

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
Re: Syringe / Spore Print Questions [Re: shirley knott]
    #2011294 - 10/15/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for all the replys guys, you answered everything i was unsure of!

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Offlinedcx
Mic of theRoundTable
    #2011302 - 10/15/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'd have to say the best quality print I have ever had was on paper.. just follow it step by step and u can come up with some REALLY nice dark ones... Otherwise yes, plastic can be good or bad , and i've had the same problems that shirley talks about ;\ otherwise flame and alcohol and you'll be set bro.. give us some pics of those prints :wink:

Offlinelobster989
Re: Syringe / Spore Print Questions [Re: dcx]
    #2013153 - 10/15/03 10:44 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

There's a spore printing tek that describes using an index card and packing tape. I'm not sure why I chose this method, but I did. Seems to work well.

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Syringe / Spore Print Questions [Re: littlejohn747]
    #2013869 - 10/16/03 05:14 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, most plastic syringes are polypropylne (sp) or nylon, and can take 120c which is what 15psi is around. Heat sterilisation tends to be they way they were done in the first place. You can tell by looking at the pack, if it has is thermometer symbol or a PP symbol they can be heat sterilised. However if you let the touch the metal bottom of the PC they can melt a bit, so I put a small towel in the bottom.

Edited by psilomonkey (10/16/03 05:14 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder