Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAttackgecko
Stranger
All the big questions answered.....
    #2010701 - 10/15/03 03:42 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ok here are the true and right answers to the really big questions (most of them...at least in my mind)
1. what is the meaning of life? A. The meaning of an individual's life is that meaning which the individual assigns to it. As for the ultimate funtion of reality, i can only guess at that, and say that i think it is just that god/the system whatever u wanna call it is trying to know itself completely, by exhausting all possiblilities, or by putting itself partly(us and stuff) or entirely in all possible situations (how else could u know yourself completely unless you had experienced everything that could be?)

2. Does god exist? A. Well depends on how you define god. IF you define god as the first cause or creator of everything then yes, because even if the system is self created, that means it is its own first cause, and by defualt the system is god. If you define god as some grey haired bearded gentleman who is all powerful then no he does not exist, though if there were such a gentleman, and he atleast believed he was all powerful truely and completely then for all intents and purposes that man would be god (in his own mind, but what other reality is there?)

3. What is the nature of being? A. Oneness...its all energy folks, just different colors, flavors,patterns, whatever, but its all energy, even you. Thus there is only one thing "You" or no thing "you". At best we are just ripples on a cosmic pond (and only probility waves at that). There is only "is" or "is not"

4. Do we have free will? A. No. True free will would mean that you made decisions randomly without any regard for circumstance. Even a system in which there is some degree of underlying randomness you still dont have then kind of free will that most peaple believe they have (or would like). the combination of your genetics, and evironment push you in all different ways and the strongest pusher in any instance will choose your path for you, the quantum effects will also be pushing and in an instance of complete indecision may be the deciding factor. Example: You go on a hunger strike to protest something, your body says eat, but your mind which is formed through a combination of your gentics, probably some randomness in neural connections and then environment in which your neural connections were formed says that you must not eat so that you can make your point. So you have your desire for food verses your desire to make your point, which ever is stronger will make your decision for you, And those desires will in turn be caused not by free will but by other previous forces. the free will we would all like is the kind that would let you decide not to eat even though you desired to eat more then you did to protest, that kind of free will doesnt exist, we may not always admit to ourselves that what ever action we took was motivated by the strongest desire, which was inturn caused by the strogest force or combination of forces pushing on us and so on, but that is the way it is. At best we have an element of chance and the fact that we are unable to predict the future with absolute accuracy, so will at least can cling to our illusion of free will. Everything is predermined by the initial conditions, or it is being determined by the initial conditions and an element of randomness, but no free will, atleast not the kind you want.

4. IF god is all powerful and perfect how can evil, or bad things exist/happen? A. assuming the premise of a perfect god is correct then there is no good or bad, just what we percieve to be one way or the other, also/or there are only three possible ways in which something can be truely perfect, first if it is "no thing/nothing" or if it is the only thing and it is completely the same throughout, or if it includes everything (including evil, if such a thing exists)Now here is a mind blower... The universe includes everything(so its perfect?) its is the same through out (on a basic level it is all energy) out side the universe there is nothing (can there be anything outside the universe? and if there is nothing, nothing is the same through out so it still meets the conditions of perfection)

5. Is there life after death? A. As Einstein said, there is atleast in so much that everything we are (energy/matter) cannot be destroyed. Even conscienceness is some form of energy thus that wave/waves will propigate through out the stystem for all time, and they will effect the state of the system constantly and for all time. Everything you are and everything you do lives on in one form or another forever.

6. What is the nature of time? A. Zeno's paradox (and the associated math) says you can never reach your destination because you will always have to traverse half the distance before you get there, but then half that distance, and so on and on and on, so you never get there, just very very close. This ofcourse does not jive with our reality. So there are two possiblities, our reality is an illusion, and there is no arrow of time, everything that ever was still is, everything that is has always been, and everything that will be is right now and always was. Or our math is wrong. Our math is wrong seems more plausible doesnt it? but if you read up you'll probably find that most of the evidence points to the other conclusion. If time occured in increments like a second hand ticking on a clock, zeno's pardox would hold true, so ok time flows constantly right? well is being debated, but it has recently been suggested that to actually have a perception of a constant flow of time, time would have to NOT exist. This was discussed in a recent and contriversial paper, i cant remember the details but the authors arguements for time not existing in order for us to be able to percieve what we call the arrow of time were fairly logical and convincing. Also its been proven that some subatomic particles seem to pop into the past, future and present, and that they can be essentially everywhere at once, and if i'm not mistaken its beginging to be believe that this is a fundmental part of our reality, that all things are everywhere at all times, bascially that everything exists as a wave of probability, and only be comes real by collapsing the wave function at a particulare "time" and "place" for lack of better words. We find what we're looking for when and where we look for it, and it isn't real till we observe it, untill then everything is held in a state of quantum superposition, meaning it is and is not at the same time, or its here and there at the same time, and thats how things really are.

7. Did i leave out any big questions? A. I dont know thats why i'm asking.

Ok so thats they way it is people, if these answers were not definative enough for you i'm sorry, but sometimes the only true answer is that we just dont know...completely, or yet.
Just another ripple on the cosmic pond,
Dave
p.s. Meditate!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: Attackgecko]
    #2010770 - 10/15/03 04:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You assume much my son...

Relatively interesting read. It makes me want to know more about quantum physics.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2010776 - 10/15/03 04:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Attackgecko said:
4. Do we have free will? A. No. True free will would mean that you made decisions randomly without any regard for circumstance. Even a system in which there is some degree of underlying randomness you still dont have then kind of free will that most peaple believe they have (or would like).

True free will does not mean you would make decisions randomly without any regard for circumstance. We have free will. At any given time, I can choose to go jump out of my window. That option is always there as long as there is a window and it is possible to jump through it.

Free will is not some magical thing that enables one to do anything they wish. People seem to not realize that..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2011186 - 10/15/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Attackgecko said:
6. What is the nature of time? A. Zeno's paradox... . This ofcourse does not jive with our reality. So there are two possiblities, our reality is an illusion, and there is no arrow of time, everything that ever was still is, everything that is has always been, and everything that will be is right now and always was. Or our math is wrong.

Another, even simpler answer: Zeno was wrong. To assume you can't get there because you have to pass half of half the distance and so on, is judging reality the wrong way. For his paradox to hold true would mean your speed halvens every time you increment the distance by half of the previous step. If you draw a function that has a limit out on graph paper, you'll notice the function's speed isn't regular, because speed is the differential of location. Hiking a distance at a regular speed isn't a function that has a limit.

So either Zeno didn't get mathematics, or he was just proving that logics and reality don't always go together.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineTheEggman
Mind-expandingStudent
Loc: Central California
Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2011499 - 10/15/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Bleh. We definitely have free will.

--------------------
Peace and love,
Tim.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: TheEggman]
    #2011508 - 10/15/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> We definitely have free will.

Prove it. Don't die... ever.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: Seuss]
    #2013891 - 10/16/03 05:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Prove it. Don't die... ever.

Ahh yes, I once remember replying to this very statement. I went and searched for my reply, and it turns out you were the one that said it as well...

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Hhm.. how will not dying ever prove anything about free will?

Free will isn't some magical power that grants you every wish. No genie here.

"Hi, welcome to Heavenly Ice Cream Shop. My name is Frank, I will be your server for today. We have available for your tastes today three flavours specially chosen by our manager. Would you like to sample either vanilla, chocalate, or strawberry?"

"Well, I have free will, so I do believe I will have to choose.... Golden Tropical Sherbert."

"Sir, I acknowledge that you have free will. But we only serve three flavours. You will have to use your free will to decide what to do with your available surroundings. You can either pick vanilla, chocalate, or strawberry, and of course, you are also faced with an infinite amount of other options, a few as examples: beat the hell out of me, go to a different stand that has something that more suits your tastes, and suicide. Now, do you wish to use your free will to buy one of the available flavours of ice cream?"

Well, I am now laughing my ass off, but yeah.
Peace.

Why is it taken that free will is some sort of magical power that enables someone to do anything that they wish with? I can't just decide to jump out my window and fly around the mountains. If I had the ability to fly, I could of course exercise my free will and jump out the window and fly around. But since I don't have the ability to do that, I of course could not do it, free will or not.

I could, however, at any time use my free will to jump out of the window. At any given moment, I can decide to go and jump out of it. While I wouldn't be able to magically not die when I impact, I still at any time can use my free will to jump out the fucker..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2013928 - 10/16/03 06:47 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, free will does not equal total freedom of choice or omnipotence.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2013971 - 10/16/03 07:37 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> Hhm.. how will not dying ever prove anything about free will?

Imagine a baby in a playpen. The baby has 'free will' to play with the toys in the play pen, to move around in the play pen, to take a nap, or whatever else. The baby cannot leave the play pen, however. I argue that this baby does not have free will because somebody else has imposed a bound upon where the baby can go or not go.

Why I say don't die, I mean the same thing. For whatever reason, we cannot choose to live forever. Just like the baby cannot leave the play pen. Free will? I think not, but rather an illusion of free will.

--------------------

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #2014060 - 10/16/03 09:04 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That just left me with more questions than i had before i read this thread.
You can be 100 years of age and still be 100 years too young to being close to the true answers. And even then the truth will have to experienced and not answered in words. MHO

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: Spokesman]
    #2014625 - 10/16/03 01:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Free will is the act of determining your own destiny within the limits of the carnal vessel. A baby can't determine it's own destiny, simply because it is dependant on its parents, and it hasn't learned to interact with its environment in a rational and goal-oriented way.

You could argue that society places its own bounds upon individuals. My answer is this: just because it's illegal to kill a person, you can't choose to? What about shrooming in a country where shrooms are illegal? What about killing yourself? Suicide is the ultimate act of free will, choosing when, where and how you die.

--------------------

- Aristotle

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

Loc: Second star on the right.
    #2014678 - 10/16/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ever thought about this:

If you were an evil god like thingy like satan or whatever, would you not trick the whole human race into thinking you were the forgiving joyous creator? I would. Hence my theory is the reason christian's seem to be so intolerant and evil is because they have been worshiping the evil deity all along under it's guise of being the good one.

So "Satan" is really a good creature who was betrayed and cast out of his throne, and he is all like, hey dude its ok to be gay, hey people be happy, and "God" then is like, kill in my name, I am wrathful, that other dude will roast you in a flame eternal, lake of fire, ect. Just so he has more people to worship him.

I mean, that would be if I believed in the Christian mythology.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2014704 - 10/16/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Simple answers....
1. what is the meaning of life?
-To be lived
2. Does god exist?
-Maybe. I believe there is an intelligent order which controls the universe, is it god ?
3. What is the nature of being?
-To live
4. Do we have free will?
-Maybe. How would you describe the freedom "YOU" want ?
5. Is there life after death?
-Maybe. I believe some of our energy might remain conscious after we die, can we call it life ?
6. What is the nature of time?
-To pass
7. Did i leave out any big questions?
-Maybe. Why is that, most big questions, question intangible subjects ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2014837 - 10/16/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Imagine a baby in a playpen.  The baby has 'free will' to play with the toys in the play pen, to move around in the play pen, to take a nap, or whatever else.  The baby cannot leave the play pen, however.  I argue that this baby does not have free will because somebody else has imposed a bound upon where the baby can go or not go.

Boundaries still do not take away the right to free will. The choices you might might are restricted by these boundaries, you might have less available options to choose from; however, that does not equate into free will being only an illusion.

I mean, ever been in jail before? Does being in jail, locked in a small room with nothing but a pad, some magazines, and some personal hygeine items take away ones free will? Not by any means.

Your options for what you can do with your free will are EXTREMELY limited, but alas, your free will is still there. I seriously started fucking tripping, walls were moving and everything, and shit.. I almost started flipping out because of how long I still had to be in there (about a day. heh). I seriously started looking around for ways to get out. "Hm.. look at that small crack underneath this steel door. If I could just squeeze my way through...". I'm dead serious.

By the way, I ended up using my free will to decide that I was being tested, that I was a political prisoner (was illegally searched with no reason other than they thought they saw a bowl in my pocket, and I had done nothing illegal to them, at least... they didn't exactly find out about my drinking or the line of coke I had just did or anything), and I might as well lay down and fucking mediate or something..

But yeah. By no means does limited options equal no free will. I just used my free will to look at my window, and I recoginzed by my own free will that I could use my free will to go and jump out of it.. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2014885 - 10/16/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm... perhaps it is a matter of perspective.  I am looking at free will from outside the box while you are looking at free will from inside the box.

You are saying that the box limits what I can do, but within the box I have free will.  I would agree with this as long as one doesn't view the larger picture... and since the larger picture may only exist in my mind...  :wink:

I am saying that the box limits what I can do, therefore I do not have free will, but only the illusion of free will.  As long as there is any boundry between me and my ability to do as I wish, then my free will is limited or an illusion.

> A baby can't determine it's own destiny, simply because it is dependant on its parents, and it hasn't learned to interact with its environment in a rational and goal-oriented way.

I would equate us to the baby in the example, and our creator to the babies parents.  We are given the illusion of free will, just as the baby is.  From the babies perspective, it can do whatever it likes.  The world outside the playpen doesn't exist.  From the parents perspective, the baby is confined to the playpen and doesn't have complete free will.  It can do what it wants within the confines of the pen, but it can't get out unless the parents take it out.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2014931 - 10/16/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I understand what you are saying totally. I am just saying that since we have to live with the limitations we have, and we always at any moment can do anything we choose with our available options, than therefore we have free will.

However:

Let's say that you were watching a friend. To us, we have no way of knowing whether or not he has free will. I mean, we absolutely no way of knowing if his actions are the result of him considering his options and then taking an action, or if he is simply following instinctual planning or something. I mean, what if your friend was under control of some evil guy?

We would have no way of knowing. I guess free will really is about perspective, eh? :grin:

But, for myself, I believe I have free will. As far as the flying thing goes, or any of Superman's other powers, I am trying to fix that limitation.. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#2014953 - 10/16/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
We are given the illusion of free will, just as the baby is. From the babies perspective, it can do whatever it likes. The world outside the playpen doesn't exist. From the parents perspective, the baby is confined to the playpen and doesn't have complete free will. It can do what it wants within the confines of the pen, but it can't get out unless the parents take it out.

Then we have the same opinion, but a different definition. Funny that's what most arguments are about... definitions.

--------------------

- Aristotle

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2017880 - 10/17/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Defining the answers to intangible questions such as these that Can Never be fully answered unless defined in their very state (is there life after death? well, have you died and found out?) is a dead end.

It's great that you seem to have given yourself answers to the universe, but I also feel bad for you.  Assuming you know the ins and outs of everything leaves you with an inherent false sense of truth, and nothing to search for in life.

Unless you are the Creator, by your own hands, you do not know these answers.
But then again, if everything that is- is God, then you are in some way the Creator, as am I.  But stating something you cannot prove as truth (especially regarding the nature of life, God, and Time) is only fooling yourself.

Look, this is my subjective reality, as is yours and the answers that apply to it.  Stating that these are all true for yourself is completely different than stating it is so for ALL.
Because this is my subjective reality, this is my subjective opinion, as is your post to you.

BTW, welcome to the Shroomery :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #2020442 - 10/18/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Attackgecko:

"1. what is the meaning of life? The meaning of an individual's life is that meaning which the individual assigns to it."
-----------------

I like your answer. 
===========

"2. Does god exist?"  ...  "...and by defualt the system is god."
----------------

We have AI at our scaling...  [well.. sort of..].  Surely there can be a larger system that can think as well.

There must have been a creator of the system too. 
Since the system is all around, conditions allowing its creation were agreed to. 

What goes on outside of the system is independant of what goes on within. 

I think it is the system, that which everyone now mistakes as "God"  the all powerful and perfect.  That is likely an error.

The King's name cannot be spoken with primitive tongue.
============

"3. What is the nature of being?"
------------------

For everyone to continue the transition from a humanBEING to a humanBECOMING.
============

"4. Do we have free will?"
------------------

Not yet.

Fireworks_god says:  "I could, however, at any time use my free will to jump out of the window. At any given moment, I can decide to go and jump out of it. While I wouldn't be able to magically not die when I impact, I still at any time can use my free will to jump out the fucker.."

>>>  Empty threats my friend.  You can think whatever you want..  What you really do in the end is another matter. <<<
============

"4. IF god is all powerful and perfect how can evil, or bad things exist/happen?"
-----------------

This is not the King's example.
============

"5. Is there life after death?"
------------------

When you die, it is like the raising of the anchor of your ship.

The "anchor" is your body... Supposedly firmly planted on the ground [Without a firm grip, you sway too much to the whims of the waves].

Once you raise the anchor, your ship can move.

There is a fleet of ships just waiting...  Patience: You will eventually see for yourself.
=============

"6. What is the nature of time? "
-------------------

Time, as the forward ticking thing, is nothing more than a flag concept used to identify specific  instances. 

It flags aging.  A sub-component of aging is change.

Change goes forward on the outside, but you can use the flags and look back on the inside: That is memory.

Time is a linear 2-D representation...  AKA a timeline.

Aging, dare I say, is a 4-D representation that illustrates change within a 3-D snapshot at a peculiar instance of time.

There is no "real"  time.
============

"7. Did i leave out any big questions?"
------------------

I have some:  "How can you be absolutely certain that the voice inside your head is really you?  You suppose that it is your free will, but since you have never heard the voice inside your head, it dosen't have a tone.  Without a tone to identify it with- as an individual that relates sounds with the identity of voice-  you cannot say that you really hear your inner voice.  Is that you then? Always? Are you certain?"

:eyemouth:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: All the big questions answered..... [Re: the universe]
    #2020727 - 10/18/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"You assume much my son..."
----------------------

So do you..  :lol:

:blush: 

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals