Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Middleman]
    #2010480 - 10/15/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Tool- No.

Hendrix- No.

Bob Marley- No.

You all can think what you want, but these guys have way too much talent than any of us could imagine, and are in some cases underrated.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleObserver
Stranger

Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Middleman]
    #2010527 - 10/15/03 01:37 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

the beatles = corporate media puppets, not a band of Artists.

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: 

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Observer]
    #2010818 - 10/15/03 05:14 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Let's see here... Rush isn't overrated. Sure, some of their songs are.. iffy.. but they are pure talent. They are like perfect musicians, virtuosos on their instruments (Geddy Lee! fuck yeah!). I think they should have gotten a singer, though, cause Geddy should have stuck to bass...

KISS is only in it for the money. Gene will straight up tell you that. The music.. isn't all that great. It is good enough, I susposse, but I don't even listen to it anymore...

Aerosmith was once kick ass. Like up to Get a Grip, I susposse. Of course, all their last albums before they completely sold out were barely written by them..... but like Livin' On The Edge remains my favourite song of all time...

TOOL, overrated? Haha. If anything, they are underrated...

AC/DC isn't really overrated, either.. they keep it simple and easy on a purpose, and to continue in that vein for that long is sort of amazing.. I mean, the songs are pretty cool.

Now, it be time to bring up what will be the biggest difference in opinion here.

METALLICA. To consider Load and Reload overrated is bullshit. The songs are fucking amazing. Is it speed metal? No. Does that mean it isn't good? No. Have you ever heard the song The House that Jack Built?! Fucking amazing. It borders on psychadelic..

I mean, Load and Reload are pretty damned good, as long as people don't compare them to their earlier work. If they were interested in continuing in the vein of Master of Puppets and Master of Puppets, they fucking would have, and they would have eventually burnt out and died away.

And Jaymz's vocal work is simply stunning. The best fucking singer in metal, bar none.. (Maynard and Serj come close, of course).

Of course, I won't even get into St. Anger.. it is good enough, I susposse, but I consider it a transisition... if they don't put out a new album in the next two years, though, (it should only be one year before they put out a new one, of course), I will fucking disown them......

The next album will like decide METALLICA's fate. They can stick to being true musicians or they can follow the current trend and fuck it all up.. METALLICA needs to like seriously come back out of the desert, get their act together just like any other band, and kick some serious ass.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Blastrid]
    #2011223 - 10/15/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Blastrid said:

Bob Marley- No.

He isn't bad, but I'm tired of all these hippy stoner fucks(not that I have anything against them :tongue2:) telling me how he is the best thing to ever happen to music. 

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Harbinger]
    #2011553 - 10/15/03 02:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, there is a big difference between "bad" and "overrated"

I think Nirvana was overrated, but I don't think they were a bad band at all. Indeed, I own all their albumns.

having said that, I think the Grateful Dead is overrated, too.

90% of the people I know who chose to start listening to the dead did so for entirely social reasons. I appreaciate the culture that surrounds the band, but aesthetically, to me anyways, they are just another rock band from the 60's.

Some people listen to music because they like it, aesthetically. Others listen to music to fit in with some social circle, to get laid or get drugs. I find it hard to believe that these plastic hippie yuppie larvae kids really "get" what Jerry was trying to say.

"Saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac..."

"

Edited by DoctorJ (10/15/03 02:39 PM)

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2011786 - 10/15/03 03:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Grateful Dead.
Absolutley... they are not too bad, but WAAAAAY overrated.

Anonymous

Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: domite]
    #2011892 - 10/15/03 04:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i feel i must agree. phish as well. i'm not a fan of jam bands.

i'm not saying that these two are not good; they're just overrated in my opinion.

the original 7 i listed actually do suck though.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: ]
    #2011919 - 10/15/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, Who's Next is a great album

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2012828 - 10/15/03 08:56 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

fireworks, we'll have to agree to disagree.
I think James has nothing on Maynard, there's NO way....
Even Jason said his vocals are way too limited.
Maynard cannot be compared to James.

I think Kirk is a fucking AMAZING guitarist, but I still think they're overrated.

I also think you can't judge Bob Marley by the modern "hippies" that say he's a god. just like Jerry...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2012992 - 10/15/03 09:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"They invented the 3 minute pop song."

Is there anything wrong with that? First off, they didn't invent it, but they did create a new approach. They made some great pop music.

Pop music isn't inherantly evil or bad. There is lots of great pop music, it doesn't necessarily have the technical mastery of some artists, but sometimes it is far more passionate.

Take Nirvana, for example. They weren't necessarily the most revolutionary band, but they were excellent. Kurt Cobain had all the pain and passion of Robert Johnson.

Sure, great sprawling guitar solos can be amazing, but that doesn't mean that simple, three chord rock doesn't kick ass sometimes. There's more than one way to be a great musician.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Phluck]
    #2013609 - 10/16/03 01:45 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

there's only something wrong with pop music when it is created exploiting whatever talent the performer has for as much money as possible. Pop music just happens to be the perfect medium.
People don't have to like it, but they should at least know the difference between real artists who happen to play pop music, and sell-outs who play pop music. (not directed to anyone here specifically)

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: most overrated bands\artists of all time. [Re: Squid]
    #2013619 - 10/16/03 01:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Also so many people say Eddie van Halen is the greatest guitar player ever, I just don't get it. He seems too goofy and his playing just don't move at all."

Okay, fair enough, Eddie doesn't play blues based licks so his style may not be as purely "emotional" as some people would wish, however he was exceedingly innovative with the guitar(especially on the first 4 albums) and changed the way the instrument was approached, ask Hammett (sp?), Vai, Satriani and the rest of those monkees, they'll tell ya :grin:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #2013874 - 10/16/03 05:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I can't believe you said the Who. Listen to Live at Leeds and you'll hear simply the BEST LIVE ROCK N ROLL EVER. They were essentially a live band, they never worked as well in the studio.

That said, The Who Sell Out is one of my favourite albums of the sixties.

In my opinion, Endwhistle's the best bass player ever. Keith Moon's one of the best drummers. Townsheands up there as a guitarist, but think bout his composing. And give me Roger Daltrey over Robert Plant any day.

The Who over-rated??????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :crazy2: :crazy2: :nut: :nut: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2014363 - 10/16/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"People don't have to like it, but they should at least know the difference between real artists who happen to play pop music, and sell-outs who play pop music."

Yes, there are pop musicians, and pop performers.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2014467 - 10/16/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Blastrid said:
fireworks, we'll have to agree to disagree.
I think James has nothing on Maynard, there's NO way....
Even Jason said his vocals are way too limited.
Maynard cannot be compared to James.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree, because Jamyz' voice sounds so much fucking cooler.. they really can't be compared, though, because they both have something else going on.

And Jaymz has so much fucking control, it is amazing. Years and years of fucking Bob Rock riding his ass until he got everything perfect, I guess. And Jason can fuck off, cause he isn't all that limited; he has been working on his range for quite some time now.

I'm sorry, I just can't get over how great his voice sounds.. hehe.

Quote:

I think Kirk is a fucking AMAZING guitarist, but I still think they're overrated.

Yes, Kirk is one of the fucking best guitarists out there.. I consider METALLICA underated, at least for Load and Reload. I think everyone really rides their fucking asses about it, but they really don't sound that bad. I mean, it isn't fucking speed metal, and maybe it is just because I grew up with that METALLICA, but the sound is so fucking sweet... you can't get better than fucking The House that Jack Built, King Nothing, or fucking Until It Sleeps.. Ain't my Bitch! yeah!
:grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#2014519 - 10/16/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

^^^

all of my favorite mattalica songs featured mustaine on lead, or they were written by mustaine. Funny thing is, I decided I liked these songs best before I knew mustaine wrote/was involved with them.

Kirk Hammet sux, IMO.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2015218 - 10/16/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
^^^ 

all of my favorite mattalica songs featured mustaine on lead, or they were written by mustaine.  Funny thing is, I decided I liked these songs best before I knew mustaine wrote/was involved with them. 

Kirk Hammet sux, IMO. 

Are there actually any METALLICA songs featuring his playing? I know he has credit for like two songs, heh, but I don't think he actually played on them.. unless you have some bootlegs or something..

I actually dug up some demos they did back in '82! in original bassist's Ron Mc Govney's garage.. some pretty cool shit.

Kirk Hammett sucks? What makes you say that? :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2016102 - 10/16/03 07:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

fireworks god, this post is not directly towards you, I'm just lazy.

Are you guys serious? I don't think any of the bands anyone listed were bad, they all have their good points and bad points. Aren't we forgetting all those pop stars? Britney, Justin, Jennifer, blah, blah, tits, ass, etc. I think we can all agree they suck, but people are obviously buying their music, you hear their bullshit over the radio, on t.v. at work, and so forth. That's the real overrated garbage.

I for one think the Beatles are the greatest band ever. I think too many people equate them with the backstreet boys when this is WRONG! They all came together on their own accord for the music, which by the way was just beginning to get interesting around their time. They have been too BIG of an influence over the music genre to ever be considered bad or overrated. Almost every musician out there owes them a debt of gratitude.

...and I don't care what anyone says, Metallica can still rock.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#2016147 - 10/16/03 08:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Are there actually any METALLICA songs featuring his playing? I know he has credit for like two songs, heh, but I don't think he actually played on them.. unless you have some bootlegs or something..

A bunch of the stuff on Kill Em All was credited to Mustaine. I can't give you an exact list because my pothead ass lost the origional liner notes. I'm sure its online somewhere. I was also told he wrote "Call of Cthulu", however the fuck you spell that.

Quote:

Kirk Hammett sucks? What makes you say that?

his dependence on the pentatonic. His unwillingness to go minor. His integration of the blues into metal (I'm a neoclassical kinda guy myself). the predictable nature of his solos. His playing lacks edge, because he tends to stay in the safe territory. When he does use an exotic scale, he doesn't articulate it fully, and often plays it slowly.

I dunno, I'm sure he could blow ME away, I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, I just prefer to listen to others.

Anyway, its prolly good mettalica kicked mustaine out, because Megadeth kicks Mettalica's ass.

Oh, and I really dont mean to pick on your tastes or anything, but I think Hetfield sounds like a redneck jock motherfucker when he sings, definitely not something I want to hear mixed into metal.

Of course, Mustaine sounds like Oscar the Grouch, but I actually like that. It fits the tone of the music, and its very origional.

Offlinecatalyst777
soul searcher
Male User Gallery

#2016703 - 10/16/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ones that alot of people like, but i think totally blow. my list is:

1. kiss
2. van halen
3. rush
4. aerosmith
5. billy joel
6. bruce springsteen
7. the who

I agree. I would add:

AC DC
Rolling Stones
Elton John(He just irritates me)
Iron Maiden

--------------------
Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.

Aldous Huxley

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order