Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
A couple of questions on Casing, etc ..
    #2009535 - 10/14/03 10:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I have a couple of questions that i have trouble to find good information on ..

1: How important is the humidity in the air after we put the casing on ? That means during the short incubation period, pinning and fruiting ? Because i put my casings in big rubbermaids and i put the lid on.. I fan my casings during the pinning and fruiting twice a day but the humidity is still around 100%.. I read a bunch of different opinions on the ideal humidity in the terrarium for a casing which goes from 82% to 100% .. So my question would be: does 100% is ok ? I know the condensation on the mycelium slows down a bit the pinning but if i try to lower the humidity by fanning more, my casings dries out.. And if 95% or whatever is better, what's a good way to lower the humidity without drying out the casings ??

2: Now i fanned a lot one of my casing to lower the humidity in the air for experimentation and i misted it just before the pinning. Now it seems to work good, i have primordias and i could even call that baby mushrooms.. But my casing still looks very dry and i'm worried the mushroms won't grow mature by lack of water.. I wanted to mist the casing but i'm affraid to hurt the mushrooms and i'm affraid they rot .. should I mist it ?

3: This is an easy question, that i think i already know the answer, but i just want to make sure before to put my casing in the garbage ! I think i have a casing contaminated, but i'm not 100% sure.. The thing is that usually contamination is blue, green, yellow or whatever color.. But now it's a nice and healthy white, juste like mycelium but a little bit lighter.. It seems to come from the top of the casing than from under..
I'm pretty sure it's contamination, i just want to hear opinions from other people please...

Thanks a lot for your help !

--------------------
The world becomes a smile !

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: A couple of questions on Casing, etc .. [Re: InfiniteAdam]
    #2009554 - 10/14/03 10:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The humidity should be enough so the casing doesn't dry out. Covering it should be sufficient, as long as you mixed the right amount of water in the casing in the first place.

You want the CO2 to be a bit higher when running the casing, but not too much. When the casing runs through (even spots of mycelium around the casing) you want to fruit -- air exchanges up and temp down, and the humidity could be increased a bit, but the casing should provide all the moisture needed, unless it dries out. Keep in mind the higher the humidity the greater chance for contamination. Just don't let the casing dry out.

If your casing is contaminated it's probably cobweb (high humidity is the leading cause for this) -- if it's cobweb it will be very strandy and very arial (coming high off the casing) and will grow VERY, VERY fast.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinedcx
Mic of theRoundTable
Re: A couple of questions on Casing, etc .. [Re: micro]
    #2010592 - 10/15/03 04:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

is your setup in such a way you can use something airtight to seal entire fruiting area? if so a spray bottle once or twice a day will take care of the humidity problem just fine :wink: just make sure it'll be able to hold some meaty shrooms if u know what i mean

Offlinedcx
Mic of theRoundTable
Re: A couple of questions on Casing, etc .. [Re: dcx]
    #2010597 - 10/15/03 04:27 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

oh never get rid of a casing u might think is contam.. u might try removing it and cleaning up with some h2o2 and burying it or if like u said its a nice healthy white, sounds like you might not have problems anymore and the mycaleum won the battle :wink: had a friend that threw some what he thought to be contam into a little hole , covered it with some coir .. some fatties.. I wonder if the fighting off of the contam made the mycaleum even stronger? heh just musing

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
    #2012091 - 10/15/03 07:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your replies !
Cobweb ! yep ! that was it !
And i didn't react fast enough so it covered almost all the surface, so i threw it down in the garbage..
But i must admit like DCX says, i should have tried to "recuperate" it.. Next time !

So dcx you say if i spray just a bit my casing the little mushrooms are not gonna be hurt ??  (yes my setup is sealed, and yes, i planned plenty of space!! :wink: )

--------------------

Offlinedcx
Mic of theRoundTable
Re: A couple of questions on Casing, etc .. [Re: InfiniteAdam]
    #2019729 - 10/18/03 03:45 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yah good results when everything seems to have a mist on it... whether that means misting it once a day or just whenever u see it drying up a little. nothing like particulated h20 for your shroomies :wink:

Offlinestara
addict

#2019818 - 10/18/03 04:50 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think water makes pinning mushrooms abort,am I wrong?I never let water fall on them when they are just pinning.peace.

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: A couple of questions on Casing, etc .. [Re: stara]
    #2020377 - 10/18/03 01:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I tried
just one mist each day because my casing was pretty dry
And the pinning started like a bomb and now i have mushrooms everywhere !!
Thankx Dcx

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology