Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

hehe playing with pop corn
    #2008434 - 10/14/03 03:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

let me start this post off by saying i have had more fun since i have found this site than i have had in a long time.....now to the goods.
Well i heeded all the advice, complanits and plee's and bought a PC(yea for me). I have inoculated a single myco bag of grain with some B+ spore's that i got wfrom the karo tek. I am still waiting to see some mycelia growth on the substrate itself but no sign yet. I figured while i wait i mine as well make some spawn with corn. I pc'ed the corn for 90 mins at 15psi I then let cool. after i got done letting cool i filled 6 half pint jars with the corn 2/3's full. I than remember reeading it is good to put a thin layer of verm on the top so thats what i did.i than put 2 cc's of lipa yai in each jar and covered the holes shut with tape. If/when these jars colinize i would like to try caseing them i think i am going to use a verm/coir mixture of 60/40. I hope i did not miss anything. If any one has any suggestions, thoughts, screams of insanity to shout at me please do so. As always thnx in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: hehe playing with pop corn [Re: littlejohn747]
    #2009211 - 10/14/03 08:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

wow no one has any thoughts on this?what i did wrong what i did right anything?

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

#2009464 - 10/14/03 09:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

SCREAM OF INSANITY!!!

just kidding, kind of.

if you want to grow popcorn spawn in half pints, then pc them in the half pints. no need to move them to that after pc'ing. very good way of inviting contams right on in.

also the dry verm layer is not needed with grain jars as the beauty of grain is that you can shake it. you could just let it sit there and the verm should keep out comtams, but it will slow things down. you need either a tyvek lid (recommended) or a polyfill stuffed hole, when doing grain jars. either filter well enough that the verm layer is not needed.

most importantly i am glad you are having fun with this hobby and these things are easily learned. just keep reading and you'll be fine.

good luck.

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: hehe playing with pop corn [Re: jumpship]
    #2010996 - 10/15/03 10:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ok i must have explained it wrong, i pc the jars full of corn with a thin layer of verm, not transfer them. Second you are saying that since i have a layer of verm on it i can open up the jars and let the sit their like that or should i just take the tape off the holes to give them air exchange.Also you said about the tyvek lid, with that i do not need the layer of verm and it will give me proper air exchange?

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #2011049 - 10/15/03 11:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

john....what tek did you use for the popcorn? you need to boil it and such BEFORE you pc it(water content)...also the verm will do very little for you as to speed colonization along its better to shake the jars when they are like 25% colonised...tyvek or coffee filters provide great air exchange, so yes take the tape off the holes. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES open the jars until they are fully colonized.

my 2 cents

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: hehe playing with pop corn [Re: GregHimself]
    #2011061 - 10/15/03 11:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yea i let the corn sit for 24 hours in water to soak up the water. the reason for the dry layer of verm was i thought it was supposed to keep contams out? I must have read someones post wrong. I will go out and get some tyvek. thnx for your help.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation