Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

entheogens and chanting
    #10675068 - 07/14/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i understand that the natives of the amazonian river basin chant to produce scenes while under the influence of tryptamines. since many of you take them not simply for the pretty colors and swirly patterns, but to gain truth about yourself and this universe i thought someone here might be able to share some advice on the matter. though i understand non of you are shamans from south america, i can't see why a 'westerner' wouldn't be able to learn and implement these practices. although it's never talked about in this forum as far as i know.

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: dummy]
    #10675137 - 07/14/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the ayahuasca icaros taught to shamans by spirits are generally only taught after many months of sexual abstinence, or disciplined dieta. Those icaros have very specific and individual effects, in contrast to "OM". Personally I have learned singing methods from psychedelic aid, and songs that some may consider "power songs", but they are my own, and have the effect I am striving for them to have, as opposed to ayahuasca icaros which have varied specific functions in ayahuasca ceremonies.

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

OfflineProject_Exo
Stranger
Male

Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: the bizzle]
    #10675387 - 07/14/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I make all sorts of strange chanting spontaneously when I trip hard. The only chant or mantra that I consciously recite is the OM mantra. something that I often repeat is that chant from the alex gray movie COSM that is playing at the beginning of the ying yang tree of life painting. another notable chant that I can remember is eM,and,eM,and,eM I had a trip where I kept repeating this like mad, at the time I had no idea what it meant, only that it was important. I occasionally receive tunes that at the time seem to have extreme significance, but sadly it has been like trying to hold on to sand, so I cant recite them.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: Project_Exo]
    #10675549 - 07/14/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Do you guys think that chanting in the language one normally speaks is at least just as good as chanting in any other way?

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: lines]
    #10675583 - 07/14/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

though i'm just sort of guessing; i don't think the language matters... it's what's behind the words.

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

InvisibleShad0w
In trouble again.
Male

#10675616 - 07/14/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that chanting, if all other things are equal, IS just as good in english as any other language.

Like, If you chant something that you know the meaning....... it wouldnt matter what langauge it was in.......... You know the meaning and it may evoke certain feelings.

But, if we are talking like primal sound type chanting..... then any vocalization will count.

Or maybe you just say OM cuz all the cool kids do... in which case you might as well say WA...... :smile:

" CCCCCAAAAAAALLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMM, ssshhh-O-NUFF! Ssshhh-O-NUFF! CCCCCCAAAAAAALLLLLLLMMMMMM." < good english chant, empasize the 'nuff' in sho-nuff. :grin:

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
    #10675617 - 07/14/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
Do you guys think that chanting in the language one normally speaks is at least just as good as chanting in any other way?

it depends on the intent. Like I said, there are icaros with specific functions, to inspire very specific visions/experiences or things like that, and there is the general balancing effect of OM, but a Doors song for example also has its place in catalyzing something powerful. I think "OM" is meant to make you focus on harmonizing the energies in your body, that is why it is kept so simple, but something like a sort of psychedelic prayer/power-song type thing is immeasurably valuable in its own right, and in fact essentially the focus of my life. It's all about intent. OM is to clear your mind, and give meditative balance, much like a didgeridoo or other monotonous yet harmonious tones can be used, and songs are to inspire passion. Both can be used to drive away negative energies, but I hope you can see what I mean by this.

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (07/14/09 02:19 PM)

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10675749 - 07/14/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

It seems to me that chanting(and even singing) is done as a way of hypnotizing ones self.

Edited by lines (07/14/09 02:43 PM)

Invisiblejoemolloy
DMT is Bullshit

#10676752 - 07/14/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Terence Mckenna always talked about attending ayahuasca ceremonies and people would sing and chant.  Eventually their words would become visible and they would be able to see language actually turn into something tangible.  Words would acquire colors, they would vibrate.  Mckenna said different voices would swirl through the air and mingle with the other sounds.

--------------------
Don't PM me with bullshit.  I don't sell or trade cactus and I don't know where you can get any, other than your mother's ass.

InvisibleFleshCap
FleshCap
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali Underground Flag
Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: joemolloy]
    #10679095 - 07/15/09 12:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The Peruvian natives sing songs during the Ayahuasca journey. They called these songs "Icaros" or medicine songs. I have always been a lover of music, but I never truly understood the power of sounds until I experienced the power of the Icaros.

It's not that these songs have special powers, but they do have the power to transport you and carry you to that place beyond this world.

If you're interested in visiting a Peruvian Family that delivers the full experience with the ceremony, including live music, visit this link.

Ayahuasca Wasi-Peruvian Retreat

--------------------

Offlineakb112211
Stranger

Loc: UKUSANetherlands
Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: Shad0w]
    #10679840 - 07/15/09 04:24 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shad0w said:
I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that chanting, if all other things are equal, IS just as good in english as any other language.

Like, If you chant something that you know the meaning....... it wouldnt matter what langauge it was in.......... You know the meaning and it may evoke certain feelings.

But, if we are talking like primal sound type chanting..... then any vocalization will count.

Or maybe you just say OM cuz all the cool kids do... in which case you might as well say WA...... :smile:

" CCCCCAAAAAAALLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMM, ssshhh-O-NUFF! Ssshhh-O-NUFF! CCCCCCAAAAAAALLLLLLLMMMMMM." < good english chant, empasize the 'nuff' in sho-nuff. :grin:

:lol:
tis true though.

--------------------
"There never was and never will be,
Nor is there now,
The wholly criticized
Or the wholly approved"

OfflineGopal
Strange

Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: akb112211]
    #10681784 - 07/15/09 12:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I feel that chanting is a powerful and wonderful practice with or without psychedelics.  When using psychedelics it can really take the experience to a deep level.  I have had some very powerful visions while chanting on mushrooms.

I personally like to chant mantras, the vibrations are ancient and have been chanted by people for thousands of years, I feel this gives them a lot of power based on that cumulative vibration.  Also the meaning and intention behind the words is one of spiritual growth and discovery.  That being said, chanting in english would still be nice, just pay attention to the intention of the words you are chanting.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: Gopal]
    #10684134 - 07/15/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What do people chant? Are icaros sentences they repeat? Are they telling stories with a bunch of sentences? Is it one word or about three words? Are the chants stories? Are the chants affirmations(a declaration of intent)?

Offlineleftfoot
Stranger
    #10685127 - 07/15/09 10:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think the reason for the chanting of specific sounds such as "OM" and others are because they produce specific vibrations that vibrate throughout your whole body, every cell. I also read about some specific sounds being for vibrating specific chakras so it also has a direct connection with your soul/consciousness.

I do however believe that chanting your own language serves it's own purpose, just another purpose, which I don't know much about.

--------------------
[quote]all the world really needs is farmers, and how everything else amounts to coping with a situation of artificial usefulness, addictions, and coveting all the empty stuff that everybody else gets involved with, like sex, cigarettes and coca cola [/quote]

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: leftfoot]
    #10685665 - 07/16/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

In icaros are they using words that they have made-up? Is it made-up words mixed with words in established languages? I am having trouble finding this information.

OfflinebeforeIgetold
Stranger

Re: entheogens and chanting [Re: leftfoot]
    #20083250 - 06/04/14 01:42 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

leftfoot said:
I think the reason for the chanting of specific sounds such as "OM" and others are because they produce specific vibrations that vibrate throughout your whole body, every cell. I also read about some specific sounds being for vibrating specific chakras so it also has a direct connection with your soul/consciousness.

I do however believe that chanting your own language serves it's own purpose, just another purpose, which I don't know much about.

^ this... The purpose of aom fx is to hit a large frequenzy range that will vibrate throughout... Pay attention to do it right. Ive seen it described a couple of timed as the A coming from the stomach, the
O comes from the throat and the M finishes at the lips.
108 times starting frooooom now.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder