Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Bulk on Bulk Question
    #2005749 - 10/13/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just read 8Ball's Urban Bulk Poo/Straw Tek Pictorial and have some questions on turning those casings into something that will possibly last longer.

At Meijer (walmart) they have 18 Gallon/68 Liter Black Sterlite storage bins on sale for $4.44. Now, Since the entire container is black, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to turn the entire Tub into one HUGE deep casing instead of using the kitty litter boxes? It is possible to incubate it if you use the fairly standard 2 bin + fully submergable fishtank heater style incubator... The Depth of the substrate could be approximately 1.5 feet! I may be wrong, But i think that I read that the depth of the substrate is directly proportional to the number and size of flushes one will yield. Is this true? Does anyone see any problems with using this method? Would there be any more cause for contamination in this waY? How many flushes do you think it would yield and how long do you think it would take to colonize with grain spawn? Thanks for the help...

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: Innernaut]
    #2005771 - 10/13/03 06:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

you could most certainly do that, but the disadvantage would be that if you get contam... you're screwed. IT will take a very long time to fully colonize also. Using trays gives you the advantage of not "putting your eggs into one basket".

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #2005922 - 10/13/03 07:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

there must be a point of diminishing returns when it comes to depth of substrate. one would think that 1 and a half feet is overkill. not to mention that that would take a hell of a lot of spawn.

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: jumpship]
    #2005972 - 10/13/03 07:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

your link doesn't work, or maybe my computer doesnt work.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: aje]
    #2005978 - 10/13/03 07:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've read that 6" is about as deep as you want to get. I can't remember where I read it or who posted it.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2006050 - 10/13/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

your better off doing a 2 shelf system using thinner trays. Outdoors it may ba a good idea so you can get a good yeild for years but eventualy all the water from rehydrating will bring all the nutes down into the soil and settle at the bottom.

--------------------
My YouTube channel
Items i use and recommend https://kit.com/MyersMushrooms

OfflineInnernaut

Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2007805 - 10/14/03 10:03 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If 6 inches is about as deep as you want to get, that sounds good to me. Although, does anyone have experience with casing that is 6 inches deep? What are the benefits and downfalls? I am aware that you are in a sense putting all of your eggs in one basket, although, my friend has alot of eggs and has never had a problem with contamination.. ever (knock on wood). How many flushes could one expect? How much longer for colonization? Would fruitbody size increase?

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2007938 - 10/14/03 11:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Joshua did a lot of experimentation with substrate depth a while back (spring time) and his conclusion seemed to be around 6 inches was ideal.  I think the problem with a 1.5 foot substrate is that the inside of it will have problems with anearobic conditions and will start to compost on itself.  I think i read that somewhere, mmm maybe I'm full of shit though. :tongue:
Peace

--------------------

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: @cro]
    #2008041 - 10/14/03 12:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

no need to incubate. Anything more than 10 inches is overkill. Make sure you have plenty of spawn to beat the contams. Good luck!

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

OfflineInnernaut

Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: thisone]
    #2008430 - 10/14/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

okay.. so far I have 2 people saying 6 inch in optimum and then thisone, whom I've only heard good info from says 10 inches is optimum... which one? And once again, does anyone know the benefits or downfalls (besides eggs in one basket) of deeper substrate?

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2008553 - 10/14/03 04:41 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think this is what you are looking for:
Substrate depth

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2008913 - 10/14/03 06:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You will have colonisation problems at the bottom of your substrate when it is too deep. Read through the thread link @cro provided for my thoughts, from experience.

As the substrate gets deeper, the bottom gets more compacted from the weight above. Also the bottom lacks proper oxygen balance, which can lead to anaerobic microorganism growth. I have found that substrates much over 6 inches begin to have problems at the bottom due to these reasons. If you are to make your substrate depth deeper than about 6 inches I would suggest you address these concerns.

Bulk growers have several techniques they use to prevent these problems. Here is one idea. A perforated pvc pipe is arranged parallel to the substrate about half way down in the fruiting container. The pipe is supprted by the container itself. On each end of the tube is some sort of filter. The holes allow for aeriation of the substrate. The pipe offes structural reinforcement for the substrate, as the top layer is resting on the pipe, thereby preventing it from compacting the bottom layer.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Bulk on Bulk Question [Re: Joshua]
    #2008946 - 10/14/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

that is a good solution joshua. I would say 7 inches is optimum with minimal extra effort. 6-7 anyway. Check out some of Joshua's picks if you want to see that in action.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation