Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
TOO many primordia pins?
    #2005735 - 10/13/03 05:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

a foaf of mine has a giant cake of colonized koh samui about to pin. she has all the environmental conditions at optimal levels, and has done this sort of thing before.

one thing is a bit unusual, though, in my foaf's opinion. she says that there appear to be literally HUNDREDS of tiny pins (no head-formation, just the most primative form of the pin - very very small like speckled white dots) all over the cake. the only reason she is concerned is because she has never seen such overcrowding of the pinset. is this common for koh samui? obviously, with the literally hundreds of pins, there is going to be severe competition for resources - is she going to have to pick hundreds of aborts? has anyone else had a cake with so many pins covering it? thanks for the help. peace.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #2005920 - 10/13/03 07:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Not all hyphael knots will form into pins. Try casing if you are worried about rescources. Mycelia is amazing stuff, it will transfer nutrients through the hollow structure of the rhizomorphs to the certain spots that are best suited for mushroom formation. It is like the damn stuff can think!

Edited by THATS iT! (10/13/03 07:04 PM)

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: THATS iT!]
    #2006180 - 10/13/03 08:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

if too many pins form and your friend is worried about aborts just tell her to pick em off and eat em, for a nice snack.

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: ShroomyMcPot]
    #2006304 - 10/13/03 09:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Don't sweat it.

In fact, celebrate massive pinsets from this day forth.
That's the name of the game.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2006316 - 10/13/03 09:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Too many pins?! HAH! HAHAH! HAHAHAH! NEVER!

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: TheSlapnCapn]
    #2006913 - 10/14/03 12:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i know it sounds a little ridiculous, but it's just that my foaf has never seen such a phenomenon. if ALL the pins were to successfully develop, it would be a tangled mess of fruit. there are seriously at least 20 pins per square inch, ALL over the cake. that's just too much.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#2006915 - 10/14/03 12:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

you are in for a great flush my friend.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: thisone]
    #2006921 - 10/14/03 12:40 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

post a pic of this super cake.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: Hanky]
    #2006961 - 10/14/03 12:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

well this is really awesome.
my foaf was very concerned for a while because she had gone through a lot before arriving at this current supercake. unfortunately, she doesn't have a digital camera if i recall correctly...

this story is entirely optional, but if you're interested in this grow, please:

the original substrate was from 3 mycobags colonized with koh samui from the Hawk. they were left alone colonizing over the summer, very slowly as mycobags do. when they were fully colonized, it was too late in the summer to fruit them, so they had to sit for at least a month+ at full colonized status (my foaf was traveling elsewhere in september and was forced to take the bags with her if she wanted any chance at fruiting them). after being colonized for so long, she started noticing a weird yellowish/rusty liquid building up in the bag. she was freaking out because all the bags were looking a bit gross. she determined that it was just "mycelium piss." she then struggled to find materials to create a 60/40 coco/verm/oyster casing. after spending a ridiculous $35 online for the supplies, she was finally able to case the substrate, which by this time was becoming excessively dry and damaged. over a week later, there were no signs of the casing being colonized. she suspected contam, and shortly after, the casing reeked. she eliminated the casing (top and bottom) all together and decided to go cake-style and put it in a terrarium to fruit. the cake appeared very healthy after having had the time to recover in the comfort of the casing. a tiny patch was left uncolonized and a black fuzzy pea-sized contam was isolated on the cake; it was removed immediately. the cake then appeared to have no more problems, FINALLY. now it sits in a $3 awesome terrarium with perfect evironmental variables. it's been roughly a week since it was birthed from the botched casing mess. just recently, ALL these tiny white dots (the pins, of course) appeared. at first my foaf thought it was just a weird speckled pattern all over the cake. then she thought it might be a contam, but dismissed that idea after looking VERY closly. there are obviously HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of pins - this suprised her greatly. so, i suppose she will see what comes out of this long-surviving veteran of a koh samui supercake.... perhaps she'll post about it.

peace.

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
    #2007334 - 10/14/03 03:25 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A monkey at the zoo's first cake turned out this way also. He basically had 20-30 shrooms end up fruiting, but the harvest was only like 15.4 gram or something.

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: factory81]
    #2008018 - 10/14/03 12:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

TOO many pins? LMAO the white bumps your talking about are hyphal knots and not all of them will form, i get thousands of knots on each cake but not a thousand pins, maybe like 25 was the most ive ever seen on any of mine. I got a 3 cake casing tho and damnn yall gonna shit ur pants when this bithc is done, ull see the tru meaning of to many pins. I have never seen a more perfect pin set in my life. :lol:

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: TOO many primordia pins? [Re: DatDaNK420]
    #2008086 - 10/14/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

datdank420, i specifically said "pins," as i am NOT talking about hyphal knots - i know what a hyphal knot is... i am talking strictly about actual pins. they are all forming. please don't assume i don't know anything! peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation