Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIcelos
Wanderer
Loc: Ohio
First time growing, good idea?
    #2005152 - 10/13/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

im only donig 6 1/2 pint jars right now with the GT.. i was thinking about some trial/error methods since that is the best way to learn (imo).

but i was taking 2 of the jars, and was going to do a casing, then 2 just plain old regular nothing special, then the last 2 try the dunk/roll method.. or should i use dunk/roll for all of them..

btw, the jars were innoculated yesterday so..

--------------------
Split a wood and you'll find me.
Lift a stone and I'm there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: First time growing, good idea? [Re: Icelos]
    #2005163 - 10/13/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

read some faqs. you will be glad you did:)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: First time growing, good idea? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2005194 - 10/13/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

case some. anything else dunk,roll, and double end case.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: First time growing, good idea? [Re: thisone]
    #2005329 - 10/13/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i agree dunk and roll all the ones you want to fruit as cakes, then make a simple casing of the other 2. just plain verm or verm/coir is even better.

good luck

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2005917 - 10/13/03 04:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i was gonna flame you, but decided against it. you've read enough to have heard of simple cakes, rolled cakes, and cased cakes. all good places to start. try not to mess with them too much when it's time to do those things - spend the next 3 weeks making a nice delivery suite for them  :lol:

but you only knocked em up yesterday! do you have a specific query, or you just want advice on what-all to start with? that, my friend, is up to you to decide. the world is your oyster, north america is your whelk  :nut: 

--------------------
buh

Offlinebsta1n
mush++
    #2007011 - 10/13/03 11:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My distant friend was in a simular situation, not terribly long ago.
He suggests the following:

avoid rolling/end casing because of the added contamination
hazard during the first grow. Dunking really is simple, dunk after
the 2nd flush. If you botch it, at least you have something to show.

the reason for this is you really want visability, knowing what a healthy cake looks like and how it ages will help you identify contamination. Most of this can be gathered via reading, but nothing beats real experince.

2nd grow, try playing with double end casing, and rolling if you prefer. Vary it up a bit just to see how things play out.

But, its ultimately upto you.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time growing, good idea? [Re: bsta1n]
    #2007183 - 10/14/03 12:29 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If you succeed with the PF tek, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to pull off a dunk and roll or a casing. Since you're new, my only suggestion would be, "Don't put all of your cakes in one casing."

bsta1n gives some great advice as well, just dunk and you should get good results with minimal risk.

If you are birthing any to cakes, you realy should do the dunk and roll. Even if you screw up a cake or two, your yield should be better than without. If yield is of no concern, birth 'em however you want. They'll even fruit in the jar if you give 'em light.

Experimenting with a small casing is a great idea.

Like Shirley said, it is your choice. Do whatever feels right and let us know how it goes.

You should have plenty of time to study up before you birth.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: First time growing, good idea? [Re: Rose]
    #2007295 - 10/14/03 01:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

what I plan on doing for a first grow, is to do a mix of dunk/rolled cakes and some casings. I have 12 widemouth 1/2 pint jars, and 8 regular 1/2 pint jars, So i plan on making 2 casings consisting of 4 reg and 2 widemouth jars, and then dunk/rolling the other 8 widemouths. why do I have regualr and widemouth jars you ask? because the first time i went to go buy jars, i could only find the regulars. I may or may not decide to use a couple jars to try and spawn some straw/poo, because apparently its much better. But I think i will just wait until a second grow attempt. maybe an outdoor patch project in the spring.

P.S. almost all my jars are nearing 100% colonized, and I'm psyched!

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

OfflineIcelos
Wanderer
Loc: Ohio
    #2008014 - 10/14/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

well as a newbie, i wasnt sure what most newcommers start out with.. but i believe i might trying to be perhaps overdoing it or trying to take in too much info at once..
shirley - bascially i wanted to find out and made sure i just wasnt messing anything up and had my stuff somewhat right.. just the paranoia as a newbie always second guessing yourself..

but i was only going to take 2 colozined cakes and wait about 4-5 days after 100% colonized,then breakup and throw into a tray.. so the other 4 i will just do a dunk/roll with just plain verm or maybe even verm/coir .. btw does verm/coir have a noticablly difference compared to just plain verm?
and no, my yield size does not really matter, ofcourse we all would like a big yield, but im doing this more for the learning aspect

--------------------
Split a wood and you'll find me.
Lift a stone and I'm there.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies