Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #20346159 - 07/29/14 10:30 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You're right, it doesn't really hurt to be a little extra cautious. Air sanitizers are not completely ineffectual, they're just not as useful as people think they are.

Even if they kill 99.99% of the contams, you still introduce more as everything settles. You bring them in when you come back into the room or put your hands in your SAB. Still air prevents the additional contams from getting in to your sterile work.

I can't remember the last time I bought an air sanitizer. Reducing your spore load is a good thing, but still air is more important. That's all the point I'm really trying to make.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20346297 - 07/29/14 11:16 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, even if you don't clean your SAB surfaces and air sanitise inside. you can get away with it.

Offlinejordano
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #20387725 - 08/07/14 12:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Is there any worries about the towel in the SAB? I know that towels are like contam traps and are usually loaded with bacteria, are they not? Does sterilizing the box kill all the bacteria?

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: jordano]
    #20387767 - 08/07/14 12:38 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sure You can sterilise a SAB, you just need your sab to be made of polypropylene plastic and you would need a steriliser big enough for get the SAB in.

Maybe you mean Sanitize?

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20388068 - 08/07/14 01:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, the towel is usually contaminated. But, since it's damp, contams get trapped. I fold the towel and can get a couple of uses out of it before I use a freshly laundered one.

The SAB does not need, nor is it, sterile. The air is just still.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Offlinejordano
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20400216 - 08/10/14 05:21 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the insights, makes more sense to me now. and sorry for using the wrong word mr sarcastic :tongue: :cool:

InvisibleMr. Alien
 User Gallery

Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: jordano]
    #20400319 - 08/10/14 05:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Hahaha just a healthy sarcastic joke :P. :hi:

Offlinecinderblock
Failed Conformist
    #20416098 - 08/14/14 12:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I had a few questions.

1) How do you insert the quart jars into your SAB? Do you just lift the tote and put everything in first? Or do you somehow angle it in through the arm holes?

2) Why do you need to cover the SAB when it's not in use? Don't you just have to spray it beforehand?

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: cinderblock]
    #20416103 - 08/14/14 01:04 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

1)i lift(my tote is upsidedown)
2)ocd:shrug:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20418770 - 08/14/14 05:03 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cinderblock said:
I had a few questions.

1) How do you insert the quart jars into your SAB? Do you just lift the tote and put everything in first? Or do you somehow angle it in through the arm holes?

2) Why do you need to cover the SAB when it's not in use? Don't you just have to spray it beforehand?

1) it depends. If I'm putting a few things in, I lift it. If I'm just grabbing 1 or two things, I stick it through the hole.

2) Sometimes I need a break from what I'm doing and leave the room. When If I need to go out of the room a few times, I just feel better knowing stuffs not blowing in. But, some OCD, but little effort for a lot of warm fuzzy feeling.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Offlinecinderblock
Failed Conformist
    #20419276 - 08/14/14 06:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Quote:

cinderblock said:
I had a few questions.

1) it depends. If I'm putting a few things in, I lift it. If I'm just grabbing 1 or two things, I stick it through the hole.

2) Sometimes I need a break from what I'm doing and leave the room. When If I need to go out of the room a few times, I just feel better knowing stuffs not blowing in. But, some OCD, but little effort for a lot of warm fuzzy feeling.

Thanks, will knock up for the first time later tonight. Hopefully it won't get contaminated.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20419377 - 08/14/14 07:01 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Don't get discouraged if it does. Some stuff takes a few tries. Just stick with what we know works and get the details ironed out.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
    #20839571 - 11/15/14 04:42 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bump.

The first page could use a good SAB tek, figured I'd send this one up there since I was reviewing this after I got myself a new SAB (happens to be the same one as you have, SBJ)

The specific reason I ran over the thread was because I was wondering about your towel under the SAB thing.  Have you done any experimenting with that that seems to confirm that having the towel there is definitely more effective than just working with a flat wet floor?

I'm also thinking about arm hole covers but I don't really want to do the magnetic ones.  At first I was enticed by the PVC plugs but now I don't know what I want to do.

I'm excited that I get to convert my old 19 gallon SAB into a mono now, though.

Hey Alien why do you hate your PVC arm holes?

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: Inocuole]
    #20840096 - 11/15/14 09:34 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I have noticed a positive difference since I started using a towel. I have never used hole covers of any kind and it hasn't been a problem for me.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: MudaFuka]
    #20840214 - 11/15/14 10:08 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thx for the bump.

I don't always use the covers and had none for a while. I haven't noticed any difference really in contam rates since they were added. I just think magnets are magical...lol. But,I honestly don't think covers of any kind are needed.

There is no empirical evidence that the towel has improved my contam rate. But, there is some solid logic and my experience to support it. My contam rate has drastically improved since I flipped the SAB upside down and I've always used the towel. (thx NH420)

Just using a wet tabletop would probably work. The rim of the tub is not perfect and will allow air in through the imperfect seal. If it is wet around the seal, I would think many contams would get trapped. Depending on what you use to wet the surface, a small amount of air flow may dry it out fast, thus no more trap. On the other hand, there really shouldn't be much, if any, air flow in a SAB.

Maybe I'm a super heater, but my hands and arms seam to produce enough heat in my SAB to get a thin layer of condensation on the SAB surface if I'm doing a lot of work. This is compounded when pouring warm agar. Although it's not much, I imagine it's enough to create some measurable amount of air circulation. I can't say it's enough to cause an issue with an imperfect seal or not.

My table started getting a bow in the middle and the towel wasn't enough to keep a seal. I discovered this while looking over my routine trying to identify the source of a contam. I know contams happen even when we do everything perfectly, but I bought a big old glass table top from the thrift store for $5 bucks and haven't had a contam since. Could be coincidence though.

I've thought about ditching the towel, too. But, I'm afraid because my SAB set-up has worked so well.

Try it without the towel and let us know. If it seems to work for you, I'll give it a shot too.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (11/15/14 10:09 AM)

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#20840506 - 11/15/14 11:18 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I've never used a towel and I've never had a contaminated spawn jar.

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20840520 - 11/15/14 11:23 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

What about plates?

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: MudaFuka]
    #20840558 - 11/15/14 11:32 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Only a few of my most recent B+ plates from an old print. It wasn't the most sterile print because I took it 3-4 years ago when I had no idea what I was doing, so that was the problem. I was able to get some good sectors though and have 5 oat jars with agar plates in them right now. :rockon:

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
    #20840799 - 11/15/14 12:26 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Well I don't have a hole saw so I may have to figure something out instead.  Someone mentioned using a soldering iron but I really actually have to use that to solder sometimes... I suppose I could just cut the circles out with a hot blade.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: Inocuole]
    #20840938 - 11/15/14 12:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I used an exacto blade to score the plastic then a pair of tin nips to cut it. You need to be pretty good with a pair of snips not to crack it though.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale