Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Copes I Hopes....Please help me Id these Cyans.
    #2004496 - 10/13/03 05:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hi..these guys were just picked from florida field and I need an Id on them:

Theres the bunch (I hope this works this is the first time Im postin pics) The bigger ones towards the bottom are the ones in question. because they are not really brusing blue. As you work the way to the smaller ones on the top, I see a black-bluish bruise o of where I cut the stem.

Here is a close up of the bigger ones white stem non-brusing cyans:

And a closer look at the darker bruisng ones:

Sorry bout the shitty images but I could not get them squeezed into 400 kilobytes. The caps are a white-tanish color and gills are black-grey/tad dark blusish. Im really hopin to get the non-active pans knocked outta there so I can have a fully potent batch.

Thanks again, Orizon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Copes I Hopes....Please help me Id these Cyans. [Re: orizon]
    #2004512 - 10/13/03 05:56 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

they are a Panaeolus species from outward appearances, but if there is no bluing in any of them i can say they are not C. cyanescens.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Copes I Hopes....Please help me Id these Cyans. [Re: canid]
    #2004550 - 10/13/03 06:49 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

How bout the smaller ones on top.....do they look good?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2004559 - 10/13/03 06:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

they look tha part. if the prints are black and they bruise blue then you have them.

the large inactive ones won't do to bother keeping, so you should throw tem out.

i do assume you know to separate each collection [and keep them that way] as it will minimize the chances of accidental poinsoning in the case that you should end up with a toxic species in one of them.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

#2004581 - 10/13/03 07:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, toxicity with these pans is not a concern. If they are not the potent "blue Meanie" copes I am looking for than ingesting will simply leave a bad taste in my mouth. The only other species these pans might be is the Panaeolus antillarum. And quoted from mushroom john himself, "This species is not psychoactive...and is edible but does not taste worth eating." Panaeolus sphintrinus is another suspect, however this species falls in the same category as--non active/non toxic/bad tasting shroom. I would not be taking a chance with any other species that I could not definately ID. But I think Im just gonna make a little tea outta the ones that I am suspecting are non-active and see if anything happens...The Copes and antilarrums are almost Identical in appearance and I know first handinlgy that psychoactive mushrooms dont always blue so noticably as people claim. So I will be a guinea pig in this harmless experiment.

Check back for conclusion,
Peace Orizon

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

#2004584 - 10/13/03 07:35 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

And by the way......All 3 Pan species listed above have purple to jet black sporeprints. So that is not a credible form if ID'ing these species.

Just spreading knowledge
-Orizon

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2004586 - 10/13/03 07:39 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Actually, toxicity with these pans is not a concern.

no [manure]. on te other hand; accidental collection of a non pan species should be.

btw: are you even listening to me? if you're in north america, they bruise blue, they have black prints and they look like that, they are Pan. cyans. drop the attitude.

--------------------

Edited by concretefeet (10/13/03 07:59 AM)

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #2004595 - 10/13/03 07:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>no shit. on te other hand; accidental collection of a non pan species should be.

Indeed. Orizon broke one of the golden rules of making an ID thread. Here it is right from the stickies:

DO NOT PLACE A BUNCH OF MUSHROOMS IN A PILE, TAKE A PICTURE AND EXPECT US TO IDENTIFY THEM!

It's an easy way to get yourself poisoned.

If you did decide to eat your inactive Panaeolus mushrooms, don't come crying to us when you've got the shits and your stomach is all upset. We told you not to eat them in the first place.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Copes I Hopes....Please help me Id these Cyans. [Re: Gumby]
    #2004621 - 10/13/03 08:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Whos got attitude?!? Im not the pro here...all the info I posted on my reply was directly linked to very credible mushroom sites. If you at all think the pans in those pics are toxic then please enlighten me with the species but as far as I know from my hours of reserach on cyans.....they are either Blue meanies or a non-toxic-manure inhabiting cyan. And this post has NOTHING to do with non-Pan species. I made it very clear and know very well that you should never eat a shroom you are unsure of its identity but I am 100% sure that I have narrowed this species to 2-3 non-dangerous pans. If you think otherwise then please share the knowledge and dont get all nasty with me mkay. I was not criticizing your reply.....but rather informing you of what I know, to your opinion. And Im sorry if I broke the GOlden Rule of ID'ing. I thought taking an overview pic of my harvest would give you guys a good idea of what they exactly could be. Im not Expecting a definate reply from you guys..This isnt a school project..I was just wondering if you can help me out. So one spanking for me for breaking the shroom forum ID Golden Rule. I just want some feedback and please no more negativity.

Peace,Orizon

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2004639 - 10/13/03 08:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If you at all think the pans in those pics are toxic then please enlighten me with the species

i'm sorry but once more, you are not even comming close to listening. re-read my post if you would like any clarity. i do not speak in riddles.

i did not suggest that there was a toxic Panaeolus species you might have picked.

i did suggest that in the future you keep separate all collections as there is virtualy {b]always a possibility that a toxic mushroom species may accidently end up in a collection;. it is simply good field practice.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification