Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
purple/pink haze?
    #2003885 - 10/13/03 12:37 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

A FOAF recently whipped up some jars per the PF tek maximum fruiting formula.  It has been about 11 days since innoculation, and the surface area of the jars is pretty much colonized.  Just recently he began to notice some fairly faint purple color appearing at the innoculation sites of the vast majority of the jars. 

Also, the mycelium is not nearly as dense at the innoculation sites as the rest of the jar.  I did a few searches but I could not find any pictures that resembled what he is seeing. 

I did however find some frightening posts about a purple/pink contam that causes spinal meningitis.  Well, needless to say he really needs to find out what this is, if anything.  Here is a picture of the problem.  The purple color is quite faint.

If this is in fact a contam,  he is quite positive that the syringes he purchased were contaminated when he received them.  If anyone can offer any info about this he would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks...He's very worried...  :confused: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: purple/pink haze? [Re: kindadank]
    #2004193 - 10/13/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well, it certaily looks like a contamination to me, I
would toss those, but first await others responses as
I havent come across a purple contam yet myself.

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2004703 - 10/13/03 10:09 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have had a purple contam that looked exactly like yours.  It looks like a mixed culture, actually. . .there's definitely mycelium in there.
The best way to describe the difference between mold and mycelium [when they're both white] is a 'wispy'-ness look to the mold.  Remember that most molds, even Penicillium and Aspergillus start out white and only show their colors when they start forming fruiting structures.  How soon they do this varies.  Any sort of purpling is bad news, and if my guess is right, you will see it darkening over the next day or two.  Guesses at ID. . .impossible without a scope but the purple one I had ended up being Rhizopus sp.  Before you can be sure of the source, though, a negative control or two must be considered. 
Anyway, sorry to see a good BRF jar go to waste :frown: 

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: purple/pink haze? [Re: Suntzu]
    #2005668 - 10/13/03 05:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I knew there was mycelium growing in there.  The jars looked fine until a few days ago when I began to notice the discoloration.  What would you suggest I do in order to find out if the syringes were the cause of this? 

Is there any way this contam could have been introduced after innoculation?  If not, I see no way that the source of the problem could not be the syringe's sterility.
Do you guys think I should toss all the jars too and just buy new ones since this could be a potentially dangerous contam?  This is a sad day indeed, many jars wasted... :frown:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2005979 - 10/13/03 07:31 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You only should worry about contaminated jars. You can dispose the contaminated substrate but keep the jars, just clean them very well and dunk the jars inside a container with a strong bleach solution (1:100) for 12 hours, clean with tap water and they are ready to go.
About the contam, did it first show up at inoculation points ?
Anyway, you also have to think about your sterilization process and inoculation process, try to think if you did any other mistake.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: purple/pink haze? [Re: MAIA]
    #2006128 - 10/13/03 08:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Alright cool, I really didn't want to have to buy any more jars. In all the jars, every single one innoculated, the purple stuff showed up at the innoculation points. In jars where a little extra spore solution was shot, where it dripped all the way to the bottoms of the jar, the purple is there too. What I am saying is it is most definitely coming around the innoculation points.

It does not appear to be spreading very quickly so it is all centered around every innoculation point. Also, the needles were placed in alcohol and flame sterilized many times throughout the process. I can't figure out any errors I might have made at all. This just sucks. Thanks for everyone's help with this though.

Edited by kindadank (10/15/03 01:32 AM)

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#2006394 - 10/13/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It seems you did everything right. You should contact your vendor if you bought that syringe.
Well, don't use it anymore. It's your choice but actually you could make one test jar in your next batch, i mean, next time you try, use this syringe just in one jar and see if the same thing happens.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: purple/pink haze? [Re: MAIA]
    #2006403 - 10/13/03 10:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

... and be careful when disposing that stuff. Go outside, wear a mask and do it slowly inside the bag.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum