Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Quick Question
    #20034 - 06/06/00 10:00 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Here's the image of my possible setup. The main growing chamber is two stacked 18'x24' storage bins. The red circles will be holes drilled into the top of both bins and to the bottom of only the top bin. This will allow air movement throughout the entire setup. The white indicates the level of perlite that is to be added to the base of each bin. Perlite will not fall through the hole in the topmost bin due to a piece of tubing that will fit snuggly into the hole. The blue box to the left will be an ultra-sonic humidifier (2.8 gallons) and will most likely be set on a timer to go off at certain intervals. The other blue section which conects the u.a.h. to the setup will be simple collapsable tubing, like you see being used with exhaust systems for large hid lighting systems. Finally, the green indicates where the cakes will be. Obviously I can fit a lot more than four in these bins, but you get the idea. Hopefully this setup is something that's feasable. I'm going to try constructing it over the next few weeks.

:uploads/setup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #20035 - 06/07/00 08:58 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

1) you are incubating that jars, a incubator would be great, 86 degrees is idle temp.
2) 2inches perlite, 1:10 peroxide:water solution (1inch)

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Anonymous

#20036 - 06/07/00 09:14 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Uhhh... since when was perlite used during the colonization of the jars,

I think you are confused phrozendata, and 808, you don't use perlite on the bottom of your incubator, read the q. a little better im sure you'll see you missed his entire question ...

:smile:

Anonymous

#20037 - 06/07/00 09:33 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, this is what I'm gathering...I should inject the spores into the jars and put them in an incubator, but without keeping the humidity too high because the spores are colonizing, not fruiting. Once the entire jar is colonized, I keep them in the incubator but now make it humid. I plan on buying an ultra-sonic humidifier, so any suggestions with that would be greatly appreciated due to my inexperience with them. I'm also to understand that I should in fact put perlite at the base of my incubator to catch any excess water that may drip down the sides of the incubator. If I'm wrong at any point here, please let me know. I should also be able to post an image of what my setup will hopefully look like so you can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Anonymous

#20039 - 06/06/00 10:30 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

to answer your first question where to keep the jars full of colonizing substrate? you said you have an "incubator" but i think you ment "terrium" b/c the pic of your setup with the u.h. is where the fruiting will occur. like and egg, the jars are keep in a warm dark undisturbed place to incubate.

then once the jar is overtaken by the mycellium. you pop it out and either case it or put it into your terrium. im guessin your just gonna go with straight up cakes since up bought a u.h. but you have like a dual over-under type terrium with two fruiting chambers. im not to familiar with building exauhast ports and yak smak. i use a 14 gal rubber maid container with a light hole cut out of the top. aand only like 1 1/2 to 2 inches of perlite. the if your using a u.h and it can keep a constant hum of 90% skip the perlite. because with perlite alone there is enough hum. soak it down in a speggetti strainer then put into terruim. hope i helped but ill check back if still more ?'s

Anonymous

#20040 - 06/07/00 09:26 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I think I may just put in some perlite, add some water and maybe a few tap-lights. Also, if tap-lights don't generate much heat (and I don't think they do) then I can put down a 12x24 soil-heating mat (made for litely heating the rockwool marijuana seedlings grow in) under the perlite. Its waterproof so leaks into the mat wouldn't be an issue. And if it heats too much at once I can set the mat to go on and off via a timer. By the way, how many jars do you think I could fit into an 18x24 bin while they're in their fruiting period?

Anonymous

#20041 - 06/08/00 08:20 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Once you've birthed the cakes, you don't have to worry about keeping the temp.up. Just humidity, fresh air exchanges and room temps should suffice

------------------
Visit the Spore Lab at: http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Anonymous

#20042 - 06/09/00 08:00 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

i gots a 16x23 and i can fit a doz of 1/2 pints and 8 pints.

Anonymous

#20043 - 06/09/00 09:16 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

is a pint the same as an ounce? been looking online for jars and homecanning.com sells a dozen 8oz jars for like $11. this sound good or do i need bigger jars (like a 12oz)?

Anonymous

#20044 - 06/09/00 11:43 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

my friend found his jars at a hardware store (12 for $8). they were 1/2 pint (8 oz.) and tapered just like the MMGG calls for. check the grocery stores or walmart if you cant find 'em at a hardware store.

Offlinebomb
old hand
    #20045 - 06/09/00 01:34 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

808 I hope you got the point that you don't need to use perlite or worry about the humidity until you birth the cakes and put them in a grow chamber. Also judging by your questions I would stick with perlite as a humidity source. It is much simpiler as long as you don't have to leave the grow chamber unattended for a more than a day or so.

Anonymous

#20046 - 06/09/00 01:38 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

listen dude, is your closet a warm/dark place? if not, find one. pay more attention to details.
nice pic/diagram though, looks good.

------------------
Ic?KLe

Anonymous

#20047 - 06/09/00 03:42 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, i get what you're saying. i only questioned using perlite becuase i'd be using 20 jars at a time and i figured that due to the larger scale i may need a better source of humidity. however, most everyone has obviously told me otherwise, so i guess i'll just stick to using perlite. how often do you change the perlite though?

OfflineVorpal
old hand

Loc: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    #20048 - 06/09/00 03:47 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Here's what you do 808. Read the MMGG. It sounds like you haven't done that yet. You are asking a lot of silly questions. You don't ever need to change the perlite in your terrarium unless you drop a lot of crap into it and it turns into a big mess.

------------------
see me here:
www.geocities.com/vorpal_rd/justapic.html

Anonymous

#20049 - 06/09/00 05:29 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

i've actually read the mmgg and as good as it is, there are some aspects of growing that it doesn't bother to mention. i prefer to get the facts up front so i can get it right the first time instead of dicking around until i stumble across the best method. so sorry if i'm wasting your precious time but i'm not twisting your arm to answer my questions. in the future, you may try being a little kinder to beginners and a tad less inept.

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#20050 - 06/09/00 05:45 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry, but to quote you:

"Also, is perlite used for lining the base of your incubator?"

That pretty much tells me right there that you havent read anything thoroughly. I don't flame people often, but you really should read more before posting such stupid (yes, stupid) questions. Read some other teks too for a greater overall feel.

------------------
see me here:

Invisibleneverwhere
Fenway Faithful

Loc: Boston
    #20051 - 06/09/00 05:48 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

vorpal isn't inept. every time i ask a ?, whether it's stupid or not, he answers and it's always polite.....but anyway, i know the teks don't tell us everything,but the questions you ask ARE answered in teks. have fun, and good luck :smile:

--------------------
"The United States is nation of laws; badly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

"If the police ever come knocking, I'm hiding my lava lamp before I hide my piece"-elsd

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#20052 - 06/09/00 06:46 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

look at that, I don't even have to defend myself, other people do it for me. thanks neverwhere

------------------
see me here:

Anonymous

#20053 - 06/09/00 07:13 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

If you use perlite air exchange will be a pain with that stacked setup. If I were u I'd go with a cool mist. With perlite in the bottom chamber only. Make an exhaust holein the lower chamber for co2. And I'd read alot more.

Anonymous

#20054 - 06/09/00 09:02 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

is 65 degrees F too low for incubation of P.C. B+ spores? I'm using the MMGG tek. the jars are now in my closet at 75/F and it's the 5th day. theres not much sign of mycelium growth yet.

------------------
Turn on, tune in, bah, you know the rest...

"My god is better than your god"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract