Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

Loc: Ya know... I don't know
hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour)
    #20027023 - 05/22/14 09:05 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I was just thinking... would it work? I haven't seen it anywhere even mentioned. If this catches on I want it called BG tek...lol
Here's my thing, I recently got a 50 lb bag of wheat bran for 15 bucks and I have 4 cubic feet of vermiculite for 26 bucks. You could make a shitload of cakes with all that for less than 50$ or you could do bags, jars, etc... and you don't have to grind up brown rice.
Any ideas for amendments or ways to modify it to make it more complete ?
I thought obviously use some weak coffee for the addition of water, some gypsum/caco3/lime/ etc for minerals but other than that which I would bet is not even necessary.... I think it would be a quick, cheap, easy way to make up cakes.
And what species would thrive on such a mix?
Feel free to move this around to whatever forum fits best, I just wanted to get some exposure/feedback quick

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Cultures: blue, pearl, phoenix and golden oysters-- wine cap -- shiitake(wild clone) -- black, yellow(white/common?) Morel -- reishi -- maitake.
Want list:
Cultures: lions mane -- stipticus -- shiitake night velvet -- enoki -- king oyster

I have kratom! Great prices, :pm: me
Problems drinking, depressed/anxious/angry? Ihope this is inspiring/helpful to someone out there, reishi/shiitake/maitake and kratom health benefits

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNebojsa
fungus junkie
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Outwalkin]
    #20027042 - 05/22/14 09:08 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

or you could just throw some brown rice in a blender if that doesnt work

Edited by Nebojsa (05/22/14 09:09 PM)

OfflineTheWiz
Happy Little Shroom
 User Gallery

Loc: Southern IL
Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Nebojsa]
    #20027234 - 05/22/14 09:52 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've tried it, it doesn't work better.  My guess would be that shrooms benefit from the extra starch in the rice that bran lacks.

--------------------
I'd hit it.

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Nebojsa]
    #20027284 - 05/22/14 10:01 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nebojsa said:

Really? Where did you hear that?

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Cultures: blue, pearl, phoenix and golden oysters-- wine cap -- shiitake(wild clone) -- black, yellow(white/common?) Morel -- reishi -- maitake.
Want list:
Cultures: lions mane -- stipticus -- shiitake night velvet -- enoki -- king oyster

Problems drinking, depressed/anxious/angry? Ihope this is inspiring/helpful to someone out there, reishi/shiitake/maitake and kratom health benefits

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Outwalkin]
    #20027688 - 05/22/14 11:41 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

It's pretty much SOP.  It's way cheaper than buying the stuff.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Psilicon]
    #20028242 - 05/23/14 02:00 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:

SOP ?

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
    #20028258 - 05/23/14 02:04 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

A coffee grinder is the go for making your own BRF... brown rice ruins your blender.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

OfflineJot
Male

Loc: East of the Cascades, Wa
Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Northerner]
    #20028354 - 05/23/14 02:49 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

If they can fruit on a phone book I don't see why they couldn't fruit on bran

--------------------
The goal of spiritual life is not altered states, but altered traits

OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: Jot]
    #20028381 - 05/23/14 03:02 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

try I!t make the BG tech

post results

Edited by ZEPH (05/23/14 03:04 AM)

Offlineaykaye47
Shroomerys Gangster

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: ZEPH]
    #20028407 - 05/23/14 03:22 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I think I heard someone say they use bran not sure if its wheat bran they use but they use it for king oysters

--------------------
"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me"

Offlineaykaye47
Shroomerys Gangster

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: aykaye47]
    #20028418 - 05/23/14 03:28 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Found out its rice bran and wheat bran and sawdust

--------------------
"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me"

OfflineTheApprentice
back at it
Male User Gallery

#20028545 - 05/23/14 05:29 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Outwalkin said:
Quote:

Nebojsa said:

Really? Where did you hear that?

That's how I used to do it.

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#20028770 - 05/23/14 07:12 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Outwalkin said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:

SOP ?

Standard operating procedure.  It means "the way things are done."  In the science world your SOP is the set of instructions you use to carry out a test or to get something done, and in the military world the SOP is the set of orders/instructions that allow your unit to function.  It's basically another way of saying "tek."

The reason you're going to run into trouble with your bran is that bran is nearly all cellulose and lignin.  This isn't a problem in itself, but the point of the PF tek is that you use a grain flour (BRF, WBS flour, or even wheat flour--but the latter two are not ideal) which is high in starch to provide a massive amount of energy for the fungus to use to make fruits.  Starch is more energy-rich than bran, and WBS is about 74% starch by weight, so when you have the whole formula put together it's actually about 37% starch by weight (the BRF weighs as much as the water and vermiculite combined).  When you try to replace BRF with bran, you're dropping the amount of energy available to the fungus down to nearly zero from this incredible amount.

BRF ground in a coffee grinder and sifted is ten times cheaper and fresher, and it gives you a better feel for the process and makes you feel more involved.  I couldn't recommend it more for those who choose to start with cakes.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #20030217 - 05/23/14 11:52 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Brans are superior to flours.  I've been recommending rice bran for brf tek for years. You can use just about any cereal bran or grain flour.  Lots of people grind rye or wheat berries for brf cakes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

#20031440 - 05/23/14 05:53 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:
Quote:

Outwalkin said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:

SOP ?

Standard operating procedure.  It means "the way things are done."  In the science world your SOP is the set of instructions you use to carry out a test or to get something done, and in the military world the SOP is the set of orders/instructions that allow your unit to function.  It's basically another way of saying "tek."

The reason you're going to run into trouble with your bran is that bran is nearly all cellulose and lignin.  This isn't a problem in itself, but the point of the PF tek is that you use a grain flour (BRF, WBS flour, or even wheat flour--but the latter two are not ideal) which is high in starch to provide a massive amount of energy for the fungus to use to make fruits.  Starch is more energy-rich than bran, and WBS is about 74% starch by weight, so when you have the whole formula put together it's actually about 37% starch by weight (the BRF weighs as much as the water and vermiculite combined).  When you try to replace BRF with bran, you're dropping the amount of energy available to the fungus down to nearly zero from this incredible amount.

BRF ground in a coffee grinder and sifted is ten times cheaper and fresher, and it gives you a better feel for the process and makes you feel more involved.  I couldn't recommend it more for those who choose to start with cakes.

I'm curious as to where you are getting your figures for starch content and how after the addition of verm and water you end up with 37%?
Bran is more nutrient dense than brown rice, its got 1% more carbs, more protein, more fats and more minerals and 3g sugars compared to brown rice which has only .35%
I'm interested.

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #20031461 - 05/23/14 05:58 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Brans are superior to flours.  I've been recommending rice bran for brf tek for years. You can use just about any cereal bran or grain flour.  Lots of people grind rye or wheat berries for brf cakes.
RR

Lol, well I didn't find squat on it RR.
Its gonna be BG tek, I called it man :grin:
I am glad you chimed in though thank you, I did my homework and was astonished that people go though all the trouble with brown rice when bran is ready to go and cheap.
Now that you're here, any trouble or amendments other than what I've already suggested that you can think of?

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

Re: hey! idea! wheat bran substituted for brf (brown rice flour) [Re: ZEPH]
    #20031467 - 05/23/14 06:00 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ZEPH said:
try I!t make the BG tech

post results

Thank you sir, I think I will.
However I don't have any cubensis, I have just about every edible there is though.

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

#20031475 - 05/23/14 06:02 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, what would be a good replacement for cubensis as far as similar growth? The fact that most cakes are for cubes makes it so I want to be as pertinent to people who would want to use this tek as possible.

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20031495 - 05/23/14 06:09 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

bran is more nutritioius then brf but thats not a problem, the recipe is already plenty nutritious which is why we need to let them consolidate but anywhole grain even ground wbs will do just fine you just need to play with the water content a little bit till your happy, some mixes are more sticky then others but wbs is a great place to start

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#20031533 - 05/23/14 06:18 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Outwalkin said:

I'm curious as to where you are getting your figures for starch content and how after the addition of verm and water you end up with 37%?
Bran is more nutrient dense than brown rice, its got 1% more carbs, more protein, more fats and more minerals and 3g sugars compared to brown rice which has only .35%
I'm interested.

Looks like I was off quite a bit this morning, so it's good that you asked.  I look like an idiot, but that's what I get for doing math and research hastily and before coffee.  :lol:

Here is the nutritional info for whole brown rice.  As you can see, it's 77g carbohydrates per 100g, minus 3% dietary fiber (lignin and cellulose). So 74% starch.

1/2 cup of BRF (ground brown rice) weighs 80 grams.  1/2 cup water is 118mL or 118g.  A cup of vermiculite is only 46 grams (weighed myself, because I couldn't find any sources I trusted).

74% of the 80g of BRF is 59.2g of starch in the recipe, which will weigh a total of 244g (80+118+46).  This amounts to the recipe being 24% (not 37%!) starch.  So thanks for calling me out on that. :thumbup:

--------------------
Oat Prep Tek

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
    #20031553 - 05/23/14 06:23 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

fuck bro, I have no where near that amount of fingers and toes to add up and take away. :loldongs:

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

#20031573 - 05/23/14 06:29 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:
Quote:

Outwalkin said:

I'm interested.

Looks like I was off quite a bit this morning, so it's good that you asked.  I look like an idiot, but that's what I get for doing math and research hastily and before coffee.  :lol:

Here is the nutritional info for whole brown rice.  As you can see, it's 77g carbohydrates per 100g, minus 3% dietary fiber (lignin and cellulose). So 74% starch.

1/2 cup of BRF (ground brown rice) weighs 80 grams.  1/2 cup water is 118mL or 118g.  A cup of vermiculite is only 46 grams (weighed myself, because I couldn't find any sources I trusted).

74% of the 80g of BRF is 59.2g of starch in the recipe, which will weigh a total of 244g (80+118+46).  This amounts to the recipe being 24% (not 37%!) starch.  So thanks for calling me out on that. :thumbup:

Aw man, I didn't mean to call ya out its not like that at all, I was just interested, Google didn't give me those figures when I searched and the sources I seen ( http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/rice-brown-cooked-regular?portionid=53193&portionamount=100.000) ; said it was 22g carbs per 100g... natural variability?
In any case I just want ya to know I was just inquisitive... not try in to be a douche
Thank you for the update though.

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#20031614 - 05/23/14 06:42 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:  Once again, it's my fault for trying to do math before coffee.  Not yours!

It isn't because of natural variability, though--it's because you're looking at the figures for cooked brown rice, which has a lot of water diluting the nutrients.  I just looked at Google's dietary info, and a cup of uncooked BR has 3.16 times the number of calories a cup of cooked calories.  Applying this factor of 3.16 to your 22% brings us to 69.5%, which is much closer to the figure I cited.  And of course, you use uncooked BR for making the BRF, rather than cooked.  :wink:

--------------------
Oat Prep Tek

OfflineOutwalkin
 User Gallery

#20070571 - 06/01/14 06:28 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Here's my findings...its gets a little gummy... probably would work if you really didn't have anything else and NEEDED THEM RIGHT NOW but otherwise-dont bother.
Made a decent soil amendment though...lol

--------------------
Lets go OUTWALKIN !
  My haves list is :
Want list:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale