Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Cheese Cake...
    #1956076 - 09/26/03 11:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post your success or failures..

Me, I followed a recipe once. It made a good cheese cake with ghram cracker crust and I made berry topping for it..

I baked it with a pan of water in the oven cuz thats what the recipe said and it turned out good but nothing like GREAT cheese cake....

So, my goal is to make the worlds best cheese cake... Wana help?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Cheese Cake... [Re: GabbaDj]
    #1957521 - 09/27/03 03:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

my mimi has a recipe for chocolate brownie cheesecake
where the crust is delicious chocolate brownie...

let me see if I can find it, that shit owns!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1960607 - 09/28/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

IMO, any recipe that calls for over 3 packages of cream cheese, then you might as well buy some bagels. One of my friends said that his sister made the best cheesecake. Got the recipe from her and made it. All I could taste was the cream cheese. Probably would have been better on a cinnamon raisin bagle. Make your own crust. Also always use a spring form pan.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/FOODCRAZY/Cheesecake/Butterscotch_Cheesecake_.html

I like this recipe, but if you want to put it in a water bath make sure the foil will block out all the water, or get a really big pan to hold the water in or it might overcook on the edges. After you mix the ingredients you should slam the base of the bowl on a table repeatedly or something to get out all the air bubbles, otherwise the cheesecake might crack. I have yet to find a good plain cheesecake recipe though.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Re: Cheese Cake... [Re: daussaulit]
    #1962821 - 09/29/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nothing beats Cheesecake... Its the KING of deserts.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
    #1969230 - 10/01/03 11:15 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Never made it but I just came across this recipe

VANILLA-BEAN CHEESECAKE WITH GUAVA TOPPING AND MANGO-LIME SALAD

Start preparing this two days before you plan to serve it. Toast the coconut in a 350?F oven until light golden in spots, stirring frequently, about ten minutes.

Crust
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream

Guava topping
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups guava nectar or guava juice

Mango-Lime Salad
Toasted sweetened flaked coconut

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350?F. Spray 8-inch-diameter springform pan with nonstick spray. Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in processor. Add melted butter; process until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan. Bake until crust is set and deep golden, about 12 minutes. Cool crust while making filling. Maintain oven temperature.

For filling:
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, then scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; beat until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each addition. Beat in sour cream.

Pour filling over crust. Bake cake until puffed, golden on top, and set around edges, and center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour (top may crack). Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate uncovered overnight. Using back of spoon, smooth any cracks on top of cake.

For guava topping:
Pour 2 tablespoons water into small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over; let stand until gelatin softens, about 10 minutes. Bring sugar and remaining 1/2 cup water to boil in medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 3 minutes. Add guava nectar to sugar syrup; stir over medium-low heat just until mixture is hot. Add gelatin mixture and stir just until gelatin dissolves. Place in freezer until gelatin begins to thicken slightly but is still pourable, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Spoon guava topping over cheesecake, spreading to edges of cake. Chill until topping sets, at least 8 hours or overnight.

Using small sharp knife, cut around sides of cake to loosen. Remove pan sides. Cut cake into wedges and transfer to plates. Spoon Mango-Lime Salad alongside. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Bon App?tit
September 2003
chef David Guas

--------------------

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
    #1993501 - 10/09/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have cooked in resturants on & off for 21 years, i found this receip for new york cheese cake in 1984 & have made it many times since. It is a good one........

First i will tell you about the trick to ending up with no cracks in the cake when finished.
Place a pan of water on a rack right under the cake pan in the oven, when the cooking time is up, prop the oven door open with a large spoon so it has about a 2 inch gap at the top of the oven door, now leave the cake in the oven after you turn it off at the end of the cooking time, just let the cake cool in there along with the oven for 3 hours, you should have no cracks.

make a crust out of grahm cracker crumbs, fine crumbs no chunks, mix with a lil sugar and melted butter, press mixture into a spring pan working it all along into a thin layer, leave the top half inch of the pan with out crust but grease it.

2 pounds cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs cornstarch
1 cup souar cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
soften the cream cheese, mix with the sugar
beat in the eggs, vanilla, & cornstarch ( only till thoroughtly mixed)
stir in sour cream
pour into crusted spring pan
Bake for 45 mins, allow to cool in oven as described above

This cake is kick ass, if you want to add a topping you can, or chocolate syrup, but it is fine to be served alone

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Cheese Cake... [Re: A3eyedfish]
    #1994350 - 10/09/03 05:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Your recipe is almost the exact same one that can be found on the back of a box of Keebler's Graham Cracker Crumbs. Your recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, the Keebler one calls for 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar.
If should taste nearly the same, but 4 packages of cream cheese is just too much IMO. It overpowers the entire cake.

Cooking directions are just a little different, but it still won't remove the strong creamcheese taste.

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

#1997742 - 10/10/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This recipe is from the book "The Joy Of cheese cake" written by Dana Bovbjerg & Jeremy Iggers, ( library of congress # 80-17014 )This recipe, "New York Cheese cake" is on page 82.
I am a professional cook, presently working the Garde Manger position at an upscale private dining club. my position involves desserts, i have tried several recipes from this book but people seem to like the new york one. I have owned this cook book for about 20 years & have even served this cake to my family at holliday time. So, no i am not some schmuck who jacked a cake recipe off a keebler box. If your personal taste is for a lighter cheese cake, i am sure the book holds recipes that are lighter, and you can seek this book at your local library. Or do a search at meals.com you can find anything there.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #1998177 - 10/10/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for that link to meals.com -- I've gone through much of the foodnetwork website and have found some nice recipies but it's always nice to have another place to go :cool:

So you're a professional chef?  How did you happen upon this profession?  What types of schooling, etc - I've thought of taking this path in the past, ideally to end up owning my own restaurant.. but it is just soo much work and commitment that I'm going to wait until I'm a bit older and have tried out some other avenues of revenue :grin:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

#1998709 - 10/10/03 09:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Kudos on the job but Ive got to give the link the  :thumbdown: because their is no recipe for a french dip sandwhich...

How can you have a recipe site without french dips?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#1999404 - 10/11/03 02:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I just wanted to point out that the cheesecake recipes are extremely similar, nothing else.

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

#2002586 - 10/12/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There is also a site named recipe.com

French Dip, that is about the simplest thing to make, it is nothing more than au jus that you soak thin sliced roast beef in & put on french bread, it is that simple.

I got involved in cullinary while in high school, i was bored, wasn't getting a thing from school, so i decided in the 8th grade that i would talk all my classes required for graduation in 9th & 10th grade & just chill in 11th and graduate that year, well then this vocational school came & gave a seminar & invited interested students to come & visit, i liked the slides of the food service program & went & checked it out. i went to vocational for half a day & regular school the other half, my senior year i got a job in a resturant that my mom did the books for, that was 1982. I moved on the a more upscale resturant in the hamptons, and at age 19 found myself pretty much running the kitchen. I felt exploited , as they would not pay me a decient wage, and after 2 years there i left. I, later in life moved to the south & eventually found a good job at a members only private club, it is more of a family there unlike most resturants, it is on an island that is a wealthy community, ( basically a shack is about a million bucks), the members are fairly cool, we get the ocasional jerk, but most don't shit where they eat.
I would not advise owning your own resturant, i have seen too many crasy over worked owners, who have no life, it is better to work at a place owned by a corperation make good money and go home at night with no worries.
One thing to add tho....is that servers make far more money than the cooks, there is a large misconception that cullinary employees make a killing, servers make a cooks week salery in 2 and a half days, thay own nice houses, drive new cars, while cooks ride bicycles or drive junkers if they drive at all. But it is good to see that you are abbitious.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2003951 - 10/12/03 10:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Check Allrecipes.com

By far my favorite cooking site.

~Peace

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#2004535 - 10/13/03 04:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Do Americans always cook cheesecakes?
Here cheesecakes are generally uncooked (both base and filling), but sometimes cooked base (uncooked filling) and very rarely all cooked.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals