Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Outdoor Garden Watering System
    #2001010 - 10/11/03 07:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm planning on starting a garden my backyard this spring, the thing is I'm usually gone for a week to two weeks at a time during the summer on road trips and what not. This wouln't be an issue if it weren't for the fact that summer in texas can get quite dry and this is when gardens need the most watering and attention. So I was thinking about designing an automated watering system to water the garden while I was away. This is the basic diagram I put togeather:

I know the picture quality is poor and it lost even more clarity in the conversion from bmp to jpg but you get the idea. Here's what everythign is:

(A) - the gutters
(B) - a large water tank
(C) - a water pump
(D) - PVC pipes over garden carrying water to spiggettes
(E) - spigettes to disperse water

The idea is that the gutters (A) would collect all rainwater from the roof and funnel to a holding tank (B) that would hold the water when not in use. Then the pump (C) would be turned on and off by a timer and pump the water to PVC pipes above the garden. The water would then flow through the pipes and out spigettes spraying the garden with water. I was planning on setting it up so the timer would turn the pump on for fifteen minutes in the morning and fifteen minutes in the evening so that the garden would get sufficient water.

Does this sound like a workable concept? Am I not thinking of some crucial element? How much do you guys think this plan would cost over all? What kind of pump, spigettes, what guage of pipe, and basically what kind of specifics do you think would be necissary? I'm reasonably sure I could assemble this and get it to work but I would like to have some feedback from you guys.

Peace and Much Love

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Outdoor Garden Watering System [Re: Hooty]
    #2001133 - 10/11/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You said yourself it can get quite dry. If you didn't have any rain, you'd have to manaully fill that water tank, but I'm sure it would work.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Outdoor Garden Watering System [Re: TinMan]
    #2001263 - 10/11/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yeah that was kind of the plan, the tank would fill over time from rainwater, but if it wasn't very full I'd fill it before leaving. The idea is to stay as natural as possible, using as little tap water as possible. I'm still not sure about a lot of specifics though, I really wouldn't know what kind of pump to use, or what kind of spigette, or what size of pipes and all that...

--------------------

It will never come true

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2001565 - 10/12/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

why try to water above the plants? rid the pump and just collect roof water in a rain barrel (they sell them on the internet) and attach a waterproof garden timer (battery operated even) to the spout at the bottom of the barrel and then run 1/2" drip line to your garden with drip emitters on the line as you snake the line around the base of your plants. works charms for me.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Outdoor Garden Watering System [Re: TODAY]
    #2001843 - 10/12/03 02:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hmmm...interesting idea. Sounds very workable and maybe cheaper to. I'm not real familiar with the setup of something like that though, think you could be a little more specific in how you set yours up?

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinegtivr6mk4
dankaholic

Loc: earth
    #2002404 - 10/12/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My parents live in the Houston area and have a vegi garden behind the garage. My dad has a timer hooked up to the outdoor faucet with one of those drip hoses snaked around the plants. Home depot has an assortment of drip irrigation stuff so you could focus the water dispersion to each individual plant.... helping to avoid wasted water.

As far as the rain water collection, it sounds cool, and water conservation is good for everyone, but it seems like you'd be setting yourself up to come home to a bunch of dead plants. I would be worried about debris clogging the line, and even a small decrease in the water pressure would have negative effects on drip system.... plants might not get enough water in the aloted feeding time.... plants towards the end of the line might not get any...

I don't have experience with rain water collection however so.....

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Outdoor Garden Watering System [Re: gtivr6mk4]
    #2003849 - 10/12/03 10:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That's a good point, about clogging the pipes, but I was planning on putting some sort of filter in the pipe that goes into the tank, or at least a somewhat fine mesh screen. And as far as the plants at the end of the line not getting any water, in my head I was really planning on setting it up to where hoses ran from the tank to both ends of the pipes over the plants, so that the entire pipe would get equal amounts of water, only in that scenario I suppose the center might not get as much as the ends. The drip system sounds very promicing however, and probably more realistic too. I'll definately have to look into it. Thanks for the input.

Peace and Much Love

--------------------

It will never come true

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom