Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMustardMan
Peace Frog
Male User Gallery

Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times
    #6337711 - 12/05/06 06:39 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I've been wondering why spawn colonizes so fast, (about 5 days-week) and jars of substrate (rye/wbs/etc.) take 2-3 weeks to colonize? When I filled two large tubs of coir and mixed in (a low ratio due to limited rye substrate) my substrate, the spawn fully colonized in only about 4 or 5 days... It just confuses me that such a large amount of substrate(spawn) can colonize in 4 or 5 days, while the pint jars of rye substrate took about 20 days.

--------------------
Wild Psilocybe Ovoideocystidiata

Cultivated Cubensis

Edited by MustardMan (12/05/06 06:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: MustardMan] * 1
    #6337983 - 12/05/06 07:39 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You must not have your moisture content right. By the way, grains are the spawn, and coir is the substrate. I get full colonization of quart jars of rye within 7 to 10 days. Most growers seem to make their rye too wet, greatly increasing colonization time.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineStopGo
NothinShakin.....
Male

Loc: A Long Stange Trip
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6338022 - 12/05/06 07:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, my rye jars colonize in the time RR stated 7-10 days. If you simmer try just soaking for 24hrs.

--------------------

Offlinedist0rt
¥(-_-)¥

Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6338050 - 12/05/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You must not have your moisture content right. By the way, grains are the spawn, and coir is the substrate. I get full colonization of quart jars of rye within 7 to 10 days. Most growers seem to make their rye too wet, greatly increasing colonization time.
RR

From LC or spore innoc? I get dime sized spots of myc after 6 days on pints of rye hydrated towards the low end and incubated at 83-85 (Spore Innoc). And with LC it's basically just shave off 3-4 days. I'm still stumped on how people are getting a 10 day full colonization out of rye jars.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: dist0rt] * 2
    #6338113 - 12/05/06 08:12 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

They'll colonize that fast from spores too, but on the upper end, near ten days.

There is no difference in colonization times between pint and quart jars. Remember, quarts get more inoculant.

Another common mistake is shaking the jar right after inoculation. Such should never be done. Allow the spore solution to remain right where you squirt it for a few days until you see solid growth, then give the first and only shake. This should finish up the colonization process in three days. Remember, until the mycelium becomes dikaryotic, it is very slow growing. Don't force the monokaryons to hunt all over the jar for a mate, slowing down your whole operation.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMustardMan
Peace Frog
Male User Gallery

#6338146 - 12/05/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks RR, some valuable info there.

--------------------
Wild Psilocybe Ovoideocystidiata

Cultivated Cubensis

Offlinelolwhut
ahsgfiuahfuope
Male User Gallery

Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: MustardMan]
    #7183487 - 07/16/07 02:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

god damnit couldnt I have found this thread earlier!

Offlineshagg
nottanub
Male

Loc: South
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: lolwhut]
    #7183501 - 07/16/07 02:16 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Do you shake BRF jars also for faster colonization?

--------------------
I like good ratings too ..

OfflineAbyssWP
Stranger
Loc: colorado
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: shagg]
    #7183526 - 07/16/07 02:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

:rofl2:  you dont shake brf, you only shake grains because there are seperate kernels. you shake it to seperate them which you can then pour evenly onto a bulk substrate

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7183548 - 07/16/07 02:32 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:Another common mistake is shaking the jar right after inoculation.

I dont shake LC jars for the same reason, before inoculation I shake em up really well to aerate the liquid. Then I figure it is better to have clumps of spores together in the LC at the start.

I also leave grains purposely dry so I can add large amounts of LC and have really fast colonisation.

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: blackout]
    #7183573 - 07/16/07 02:39 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Grain to grain 2-5days... only shake when first spawned (1qt jar with make upwards of 80 more jars)

LC clone 4-7days... shake right after inoculation

happy trails

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlineflyingfurther
Male
    #20006169 - 05/18/14 03:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

Another common mistake is shaking the jar right after inoculation.  Such should never be done.  Allow the spore solution to remain right where you squirt it for a few days until you see solid growth, then give the first and only shake.  This should finish up the colonization process in three days. Remember, until the mycelium becomes dikaryotic, it is very slow growing.  Don't force the monokaryons to hunt all over the jar for a mate, slowing down your whole operation.
RR

yep i made the mistake of mixing the innoculant around as soon as i pulled the syringe out... and then kept doing it everyday because i was impatient and ignorant. needless to say it took 2 weeks to see growth only after i left them alone for a week.

OfflineShaggDogg
Stranger
Re: Comparing Spawn colonization time to rye/wbs/other jar colonization times [Re: flyingfurther]
    #26737999 - 06/11/20 09:15 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Shitballs.  Shook my first jars after inoculating.  :facepalm.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale