Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Maryland Honey mushrooms question
    #2000038 - 10/11/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i have not found this species before, but i am 99% sure i found it now. i cant post pictures because i dont have my cord with me. do any mellea hunters ever see yellowish colors on gill edges? on the stem above the ring, does it often turn a kind of light burgundy browish color (where the cap adjoins the stipe)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Maryland Honey mushrooms question [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2000141 - 10/11/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

They usually darken as they age.

Here is a list of features you should verify:

Cap surface and stalk yellowish brown to pinkish brown.
Erect dark hairs (not scales) on center of cap surface.
White, cottony to membranous partial veil covering gills of smaller specimens.
Whitish, cottony to membranous ring on stalk of larger specimens.
Growing in clusters on wood or at base of trees or stumps.
White spore print.

That list is from "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" by David Fischer and Alan Bessette. If you're going to hunt edibles, it's one of the very best books out there.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Maryland Honey mushrooms question [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2000205 - 10/11/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks a lot toxic,

the only slight difference i noted was that the tiny hairs on the cap were all over the cap, radially aranged, and only slightly more numerous if it all towards the center. they are also a tiny bit shiny, but are not much darker than the cap, they are yellowish brown.

otherwise they much match three of the descriptions for A. mellea i have found on the internet and other Armillaria species have things that key them out.

yea i would probably get that book if i lived up north up a bit, especially here in maryland and stuff. its really cool out here. when i get home sometimes in the next week, i will post really cool pics because this place is FULL of woodlovers, and there isnt much else right now. it may be a little late, but the temperature during the day are in the 70s and at night in the mid to upper 50's. and i know in poland A. mellea can be found in late november when there are already consistent frosts and the temperature doesnt go above 6-8 C. then, after the first snow falls, the Flammulina come out.

but since im in florida and the nation aubodon field guide i have isnt very great i will not get it. thank you for the suggestion but florida species are really different. i am planning on getting the bolete book of north america sometime soon though.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Maryland Honey mushrooms question [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2000313 - 10/11/03 02:08 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Actually, that book is *not* about the rest of the country. There are several species in the book that can only be found in the southeast corner of the US. Were you perhaps thinking of "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"? That book is admittedly of less use in Florida.

"Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" has over 100 species of edible mushrooms described in a way similar to the list above. It covers most of the wild edible mushrooms that can be easily and safely identified by the novice. If you're starting out trying to learn the edible mushrooms, I think it's the best book (for the US).

I know there are some excellent books on Florida mushrooms. You might try PMing some of the Florida folks. I think GGreatOne234 mentioned some Florida books in a thread awhile back - try a search.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck