Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
War propaganda
    #1999579 - 10/11/03 06:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I shouldn't really be surprised at this, but, well, check it out for yourself. I found this on a blog, so it hasn't hit any of the major news services yet:

Quote:

Same letter (from different soldiers) praising Army in Iraq pops up across nation

quote [ We entered the country at midnight on March 26; a thousand of my fellow soldiers and I parachuted from 10 jumbo jets (known as C17s) onto a cold, muddy field in Bashur, Northern Iraq. This parachute operation was the U.S. Army's only combat jump of the war and opened up the northern front. ]

This is the letter in question

WASHINGTON ? Letters from hometown soldiers describing their successes rebuilding Iraq have been appearing in newspapers across the country as U.S. public opinion on the mission sours.

And all the letters are the same.

Link to google search in extended

A Gannett News Service search found identical letters from different soldiers with the 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment, also known as ``The Rock,'' in 11 newspapers.

... Six soldiers reached by GNS directly or through their families said they agreed with the letter's thrust. But none of the soldiers said he wrote it, and one said he didn't even sign it. A seventh soldier didn't know about the letter until his father congratulated him for getting it published in the local newspaper in Beckley, W.Va.

Here's the google link, check them out:
http://www.google.com/search?q="We+enter...-8&filter=0

Here are some direct links to newspapers who have published the exact same letter, but signed by different people.

http://www.register-herald.com/articles/2003/09/20/editorial/39letters21.txt
http://www.dailymail.com/news/Opinion/200309105/
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/letters/s_154288.html
http://www.uticaod.com/archive/2003/09/11/opinion/14782.html

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Edited by Edame (10/11/03 11:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: War propaganda [Re: Edame]
    #1999642 - 10/11/03 08:29 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That's fucked up.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1999733 - 10/11/03 10:53 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Found what appears to be the article this story might have originated from:

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20031011/frontpage/121390.shtml

Quote:

LEDYARD KING GANNETT NEWS SERVICE

The Olympian Online

WASHINGTON -- Letters from hometown soldiers describing their successes rebuilding Iraq have been appearing in newspapers across the country as U.S. public opinion on the mission sours.

And all the letters are the same.

A Gannett News Service search found identical letters from different soldiers with the 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment, also known as "The Rock," in 11 newspapers, including Snohomish, Wash.

The Olympian received two identical letters signed by different hometown soldiers: Spc. Joshua Ackler and Spc. Alex Marois, who is now a sergeant. The paper declined to run either because of a policy not to publish form letters.

The five-paragraph letter talks about the soldiers' efforts to re-establish police and fire departments, and build water and sewer plants in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, where the unit is based.

"The quality of life and security for the citizens has been largely restored, and we are a large part of why that has happened," the letter reads.

It describes people waving at passing troops and children running up to shake their hands and say thank you.

It's not clear who wrote the letter or organized sending it to soldiers' hometown papers.

Six soldiers reached by GNS directly or through their families said they agreed with the letter's thrust. But none of the soldiers said he wrote it, and one said he didn't even sign it.

Marois, 23, told his family he signed the letter, said Moya Marois, his stepmother. But she said he was puzzled why it was sent to the newspaper in Olympia. He attended high school in Olympia but no longer considers the city home, she said. Moya Marois and Alex's father, Les, now live near Kooskia, Idaho.

A seventh soldier didn't know about the letter until his father congratulated him for getting it published in the local newspaper in Beckley, W.Va.

"When I told him he wrote such a good letter, he said: 'What letter?' " Timothy Deaconson said Friday, recalling the phone conversation he had with his son, Nick. "This is just not his (writing) style."

He spoke to his son, Pfc. Nick Deaconson, at a hospital where he was recovering from a grenade explosion that left shrapnel in both his legs.

Sgt. Christopher Shelton, who signed a letter that ran in the Snohomish Herald, said Friday that his platoon sergeant had distributed the letter and asked soldiers for the names of their hometown newspapers. Soldiers were asked to sign the letter if they agreed with it, said Shelton, whose shoulder was wounded during an ambush earlier this year.

"Everything it said is dead accurate. We've done a really good job," he said by phone from Italy, where he was preparing to return to Iraq.

Sgt. Todd Oliver, a spokesman for the 173rd Airborne Brigade, which counts the 503rd as one of its units, said he was told a soldier wrote the letter, but he didn't know who. He said the brigade's public affairs unit was not involved.

"When he asked other soldiers in his unit to sign it, they did," Oliver explained in an e-mail response to a GNS inquiry. "Someone, somewhere along the way, took it upon themselves to mail it to the various editors of newspapers across the country."

Lt. Col. Bill MacDonald, a spokesman for the 4th infantry Division that is heading operations in north-central Iraq, said he had not heard about the letter-writing campaign.

Neither had Lt. Cmdr. Nick Balice, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla.

A recent poll suggests that Americans are increasingly skeptical of America's prolonged involvement in Iraq. A USA Today-CNN-Gallup Poll released Sept. 23 found 50 percent believe that the situation in Iraq was worth going to war over, down from 73 percent in April.

The letter talks about the soldiers' mission, saying, "one thousand of my fellow soldiers and I parachuted from ten jumbo jets." It describes Kirkuk as "a hot and dusty city of just over a million people." It tells about the progress they have made.

"The fruits of all our soldiers' efforts are clearly visible in the streets of Kirkuk today. There is very little trash in the streets, many more people in the markets and shops, and children have returned to school," the letter reads. "I am proud of the work we are doing here in Iraq and I hope all of your readers are as well."

Sgt. Shawn Grueser of Poca, W.Va., said he spoke to a military public affairs officer whose name he couldn't remember about his accomplishments in Iraq for what he thought was a news release to be sent to his hometown paper in Charleston, W.Va. But the 2nd Battalion soldier said he did not sign any letter.

Although Grueser said he agrees with the letter's sentiments, he was uncomfortable that a letter with his signature did not contain his own words or spell out his own accomplishments.

"It makes it look like you cheated on a test, and everybody got the same grade," Grueser said by phone from a base in Italy where he had just arrived from Iraq.

Moya Marois said she is proud of her stepson Alex, the former Olympia resident. But she worries that the letter tries to give legitimacy to a war she doesn't think was justified.

"We're going to support our son," she said. But "there are a lot of Americans that are not in support of this war that would like to see them returned home, and think it's going to get worse."

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1999756 - 10/11/03 11:18 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

A truly mindnumbing story. How low is that? But I wont be surprised if this story sinks beneath the surface of the so called liberal mainstream media never to be seen again.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

#1999838 - 10/11/03 12:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with Gazbutt. It's funny how this sort of thing never makes it on the news.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1999926 - 10/11/03 01:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

With 20 attacks a day on US forces on Iraq I guess winning the propaganda war is all-important.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: War propaganda [Re: Xlea321]
    #2000218 - 10/11/03 03:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Is it just me or did moral etiquette just sink to new lows..

Offlinewingnutx
    #2000443 - 10/11/03 05:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's the same kind of urban-myth chainletter that makes the rounds on any number of subject, and lazy reporters take them at face value without bothering to check their facts.

Snopes.com is a good place to find this sort of thing debunked.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: War propaganda [Re: wingnutx]
    #2000535 - 10/11/03 05:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

meaning it never happened and the newspaper is
perpetuating a fable?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinewingnutx
Re: War propaganda [Re: afoaf]
    #2000563 - 10/11/03 05:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Meaning that many papers don't know and may not even care if what they are publishing is accurate, and meaning that crap like this tends to take on a life of it's own via email. Lazy reporters and editors get something like this and don't bother with basic fact-checking.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: War propaganda [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2000576 - 10/11/03 06:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

=[

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlinewingnutx
    #2001360 - 10/12/03 12:42 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: War propaganda [Re: wingnutx]
    #2001888 - 10/12/03 05:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think we'd already guessed that!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion