Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Incorporation
    #1997191 - 10/10/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I hate corporations.

Corporations are legal entities set up by business owners in order to distance themselves from liability and responsibility. And they have the same effect on employees. They encourage inhuman behavior. They have no place in a capitalist system.

I am a big fan of sole proprietorship. They fit more with the truly capitalist ideal. They have a stake in the satisfaction of their customers. SBO's often cultivate personal relationships with their customers which suit the needs of both parties better than sterile customer-corporate relations.

Real life example? Living in corporate-owned apartments as opposed to living in a rented property owned by an individual.

If you are renting a house from a real life person who owns it, you will have a more intimate and flexible relationship with your landlord than if you were renting from coporate owned properties. If something is broken in the house, you can call the actual PERSON whose RESPONSIBILITY it is to fix that, and make a humanistic appeal for his help. If you're a week late on the rent, a sole proprietor landlord is a lot less likely to stick you with late fees and other stupid shit. If your check comes in at the middle of the month, a sole proprietor will personally work out a payment schedule so both parties know what to expect from the other. You will not get such treatment from a corporate landlord.

As I said earlier, corporations limit liability and personal responsibility of the owners AND operators. If someone in the corporation screws you, its on the corporation, not them. Corporations are rigid systems set up to make money. You cant make an appeal to a corporation on a basic human level.

My corporate landlord freqently likes to remind me that she has little decision in the penalties she enacts on me due to corporate restriction on her autonomy. What a nifty little excuse! If (god forbid) I were to fall behind on my rent a little and get evicted, SHE would put the notice on the door, SHE would file the papers, SHE would oversee police intervention to remove me from the premesis, but yet SHE is not the one doing this. Its the CORPORATION, not HER.

And what a nice excuse for the owners! When asked, "Did you evict this starving student who had just been mugged of his rent money and came down with mono and had to endure countless hardships in the space of a few weeks?" the owner will say "It is corporate policy to evict tennants that dont pay their rent. this is acceptable and logical" Shit, if its a public corporation, most of the owners dont know you from jack. Youre just a statistic in a portfolio to them.

And thats it. No discretion. No autonomy. no circumstancial flexibility or situational ethics. Corporations remove the humanity from business. Remember if a corporation screws you, or treats you inhumanely, Its not the owners' and people who are making money's fault. Its the fault of a fictional legal entity that they created to remove themselves from liability, which is really just a rigid logical system created to generate revenue like collecting wool from sheep. If your corporation does bad business, you sell the stock off before people get wind of it and jet to the Bahamas when the shit hits the fan. If you are an employee of a corporation that does bad business, you look for a new job when the shit hits the fan. There is no personal stake.

A lot of people in this country are still believers in what I like to call the "Sole Proprietorship Mythology". They think that the people who operate the businesses they patronize have a personal stake in the customer's satisfaction. They don't.

As a former corporate employee, I can tell you I didn't give a rats ass if the customer was satisfied. Its not like the corporation I worked for was going to give commission or a raise for superior performance. Promotion is all politics. "The Aristocracy of Pull" as Mrs Rand would describe it. I have no personal stake in the profitability of the business. If my paychecks bounce, I sue. If the company folds, I get another $7 an hour job. My boss is a corporate employee. If my store folds, she gets relocated, not fired. Whatever personal relationship I have with her will not provide me with a humanistic motive to work harder. If I worked for a guy that owned the place I would know him and meet his wife and kids and want to do a good job. But I could give a rats ass about my corporate overling.

Customers come in and want products we dont sell, or services we dont offer. I tell them I cant do shit and they say the business should change. Even if I agree with them I am powerless to change anything at that level because what we sell is a corporate policy issue. That decision is made by someone a million miles away from the employee/customer interaction. I have no operational autonomy.

anyway, dont support corporations with your money!!! Support small business and sole proprietorship, which is in the best interest of customers and entreprenuers alike!!!

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
Re: Incorporation [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1998937 - 10/11/03 12:47 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Couldn't have said it better my own self.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1999097 - 10/11/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I run my own small business and manage to stay partially out of corporate control. Im learning to use the loopholes in my favor. I figure that with the current laws, I dont even have to pay taxes. I can write off everything from my new tv for the office to my morning sugar. I work out of my home and because it's my office, I get to write off portions of bills. It's fantastic and incredibly legal.

Im trying to figure out how to incorporate a movement in response to the "Patriot" act. Whereby people couldnt be held personally responsible because they were acting on the interests of the corporations. Ive got a bunch of legal geeks trying to figure it all out. I figure, at this point, they have created so much excessive legal jargon the loopholes need to be explored fully. Maybe that whole, working within the system to crush the system thing can work.

I think that incorporation is definately the death of the capitalist system. In a capitalist society, the best company succeeds. People are prevented from forming monopolies because they have competition that values the client. I say, let these companies crumble, take back all the money from the board of directors to help pay that shit off. Liquidate their assets, etc. And let someone else rise up from the ashes. Let their be competition, not stagnation.

The current sterile and impersonal nature of business has allowed a devaluation of customer service and the whole concept of satisfaction.

You'll take what you get and you'll like it!

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2000790 - 10/11/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thank you that was great.

Nowdays government LOVES corporations because they're the metaphorical oil keeping friction at a minimum.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion