Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAjoc
stranger ...than youthink
Loc: Southampton, UK
Newbie's first find, looking for an identification...
    #1989635 - 10/08/03 09:58 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I found these mushrooms in my garden just now adter my daily check to see if somehow 1000 liberty caps had sprung up in my garden overnight...I saw them morning before school and didnt have time to get it, and nabbed one now and took a few pics. I have no idea what it is (I am pretty certain it isnt active from lurking on these forums but it's still interesting to find out what I've found exactly...first time too :laugh:).

So, they were growing in lawn grass, fairly short, in clusters of about 10 mushrooms...there were two of them, close to eachother.

In my rush to grab one (I think my mum might have been suspicious if she saw me wandering around the garden picking mushrooms...), I think I lost a bit of the stem length (some was probably underground) so i'm going for about 8-10cm. The cap is about 3cm.

The gills, assuming they are the things on the underside of the cap, are hard to describe for me as there is probably a term, but they are just like spokes of a wheel underneath (hopefully the pics might show this). It is partly attached to the cap. They are yellowy white.

The stem is quite thick at the bottom and narrows as it gets to the cap. A nice orangey colour. Solid all the way through from what I can see, although the interior "flesh" is white.

The cap is smooth and rounded, although quite flat (none of the nipple business I have been looking out for on liberty caps...). It is the same colour as the stem, going to a darkish brown at the centre.

Smells a bit musty, hard to describe...

I am not sure about how to bruise a mushroom (hehe NEWBIE) and I have read how to do spore prints but would rather see if this is enough, as I feel I have given quite a bit of info...but if people are unsure I'll see what I can do. I am hoping it will be obvious so I can just know what I found and be able to say "that's XX!!" next time I see it, and begin the recognition/learning process...

I apologise on the slightly blurry/dark nature of my pics...i hope they are adequate. If they are really too poor I still have the mushroom (and there about about 20 more outside) and I can try again...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie's first find, looking for an identification... [Re: Ajoc]
    #1989658 - 10/08/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hard to say really. Its not active, and most likely not edible.

We will need a sporeprint to verify ID!!

A random guess would be an Armillariella species.

OfflineAjoc
Re: Newbie's first find, looking for an identification... [Re: angryshroom]
    #1989683 - 10/08/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, I just set up a spore print (first time so bear with me)...just laid it down on some foil...I'll check back after dinner and let you all know of the colour (or bow my head in shame if nothing happens)...

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1989715 - 10/08/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I am not sure about how to bruise a mushroom

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post1348605

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineAjoc
    #1989774 - 10/08/03 10:56 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks i'll see what I can do...I pinched and scraped it all over (on the stalk...the cap is still spore printing...best to leave it i think?)
but no signs of it anything yet, is it possible that a mishroom doesn't bruise? I have probably just got the wrong end of the stick...

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1989789 - 10/08/03 11:01 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Not all mushrooms bruise.

Also, the sporeprint should take a few hours. Good you're using foil, just incase its white you'll be able to see something.

OfflineAjoc
Re: Newbie's first find, looking for an identification... [Re: angryshroom]
    #1990530 - 10/08/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ok it's been about 4-5 hours and nothing on the spore print...

I am guessing I got it wrong...

I cut off the cap, put it gills down on some foil, put it to one side and left it. Obviously I did something wrong, but what? Or is it possible there are no spores left or something...strikes me as a bit weird.

Anyone else got any idea on this mushroom based on my description and pics?

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1990558 - 10/08/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

wet the top with a Q tip, and place a glass over it,,, let sit over night... then check it in the morning...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineAjoc
Re: Newbie's first find, looking for an identification... [Re: nofind_um]
    #1992841 - 10/09/03 09:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I set it up as you said (not sure what you mean by Q-tip but I moistened the top) this morning and still nothing?

No one else got any ideas on what I found? :frown:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1993274 - 10/09/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Without a spore print you can't be sure.

I agree with angry's guess that you've got a Honey Mushroom (Armillaria mellea or a close relative). But you need a spore print to confirm it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder