Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekoraks
More pics (no thrills, no actives, just nice pics)
    #1993066 - 10/09/03 01:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all!

Been kinda busy these days, but just now I found a little time to upload the pictures of my last hunt. Most of the mushrooms have an id attached to them. This is more of a wild guess in most cases, any suggestions are welcome! Hope you enjoy!

psilocybe fascicularis, VERY common here in this season. Impossible to take a walk without stumbling into some. These were growing right in front of my parents' house.

My guess is that these are armillaria mellea. Hard to tell on the mature specimens, younger ones are somewhat easier to id, IMO.

Probably armillaria ostoyae. I find them very visually attractive. BTW, it's very well possible that there's only one species of the armillaria genus in this entire post, but I did find some small differences, that's why I ided them to different species. I could very, very well be wrong :smile:

gymnopilus sapnieus, by lack of a better id. Can anyone confirm if these are actually from the gymnopilus genus?

Some mushrooms from the hygrocybe genus, I suspect. Note the very flexible and tough stem that tends to split vertically, but is virtually unbreakable!

Could this be paxillus involutus? It's my closest guess, anyway...

Some species from the peziza genus. Hard to tell which exact species. These were growing on a stone tile right under one of the windows in my parents' home.

Now for some unidentified specimens:

Found this growing by the driveway when visiting a customer. She looked kinda surprised when I sprinted to the car and came back with my camera :smile:

Perhaps some paxillus? Maybe not? Who knows...

Well, that's it for now. These pictures were actually taken to test if a defect which occured in my 12 year old Canon EOS 1000F was solved. Looks like it, luckily :smile:

Cheers! 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: More pics (no thrills, no actives, just nice pics) [Re: koraks]
    #1993108 - 10/09/03 01:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

awesome pics man! keep up the good finds ;D

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: More pics (no thrills, no actives, just nice pics) [Re: koraks]
    #1993489 - 10/09/03 03:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Not being familiar with Psilocybe fasciculare (note - it can't be fascicularis, because it has to have the same gender as the genus; however, Guzman has the same typo in his index), I looked it up in Guzman's monograph. It's mentioned in the Supplement (pages 92 and 94), and he states that it actually belongs in Naematoloma. Since they seem to have now moved those to Hypholoma, it would seem that the official name should be Hypholoma fasciculare, commonly known as Sulfur Tufts. As you stated, they are noted for having an extremely bitter taste. They are also noted for being very nasty poisonous.

Your next couple of specimens look like Honey Mushrooms to me. The place to go for IDing them to species is this key, which Tom Volk kindly placed on the Internet.

On the next one (the suspected Gymnopilus), is the spore print in the second photo reasonably close to the right color? If so, I am inclined to go with Pholiota, probably one of the species in the complex around Pholiota alnicola. As a group, they are fairly similar to Gymnopilus.

On your suspected Hygrocybes, I would probably go with Collybia. A high percentage of mushrooms with crowded white gills like those are Collybias. I would start with Collybia butyracea as a first guess in the genus.

Your suspected Paxillus involutus certainly looks like one. Do the gills peel easily from the underside of the cap (as the tubes on boletes do)? If so, that's an easy way to help confirm the genus.

Having watched a couple fairly expert people I know IDing some cup fungi recently, you need a microscope to even be sure of the genus with them. Peziza is a reasonable guess, but you need to do some micro work on the spores to verify it (and that's just to get to the genus!).

The last one I would probably start with Pholiota, but Paxillus is possible. The peeling gills would help you decide in the field.

Great photos and specimens! Your camera works pretty good.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblekoraks
Re: More pics (no thrills, no actives, just nice pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1996154 - 10/10/03 05:57 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the replies!

ToxicMan: once more you are willing to take the time and look seriously into my (sometimes badly documented...) finds, thanks!

Good point about the gender of the latin names. I should've known, with six years of latin, but somehow I assumed that the gender rules didn't apply to biological nomenclature. It also sounds very reasonable that fasciculare (indeed, my guide lists it as psilocybe fascicularis, this is G.J. Keizer's Mushroom Encyclopedia I'm talking about, nice pics, some good keys, but very, very incomplete) doesn't belong in the psilocybe genus. Indeed, they taste very bitter, and my guide also lists them as pretty poisonous. What I especially like in this species, btw, is the light green gills (they appear white in the photo above, due to the flash) and the attractive colouration of the caps. They really give the autumn woods an extra sparkle, imo!

If I can find some more specimens of the Honey Mushrooms today (I'm afraid they're moment of glory is over, but who knows?), I'll try to id them to the right genus with Volk's key. Thanks for the link!

The suspected gymnopilus could very well be a pholiota, as the spore colour matches very well. However, I'm pretty sure it isn't pholiota alnicola; the cap colours on my specimens are too dark and 'my' caps are all wavy, lacking the incurved margins which I'd expect to see on alnicola. Morphologically, my specimens resemble pholiota gummosa, but the colours don't match.

The suspected hygrocybes were indeed not more than suspected hygrocybes. Frankly, I didn't have a clue (and still don't have) what they are exactly. Collybia may be a better guess of the genus, but what keeps puzzling me is the upcurved margins on the caps. I've seen this on pics of flammulina sp., but these specimens are most certainly not of that genus. Well, I'll probably never know what they are exactly, but I don't really mind. They were still a nice find, with a striking appearance.

With your backup, ToxicMan, I'm pretty sure the suspected paxillus specimen is indeed paxillus involutus. I looked into that specimen really good, and all the odds point into the direction of this species.

Wrt the cup fungus, never really having paid any attention to these interesting mushrooms, I though at first that it would be pretty easy to pin it down to two or maybe three species. I found that I could only pin it down to two genera (peziza, otidea), and even that is far from sure!

Well, thanks again for the useful input, ToxicMan, and I might just go out and see if I can find something nice later today. I certainly will post any finds!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification