Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: who thinks next gen games suck? [Re: Shroomism]
    #19938521 - 05/04/14 01:06 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I wouldn't count on that.. PC technology grows by leaps and bounds every week. They are always on the verge of something new. Game developers want to keep up.

thats true is guess digital distribution keeps thing from getting too out of hand but otherwise if people keep waiting for games to go down in price no one may buy the new ones..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #19943283 - 05/05/14 07:19 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

could see next gen consoles helping the pc gaming market though, seems the consoles are taking on x64 architecture, no? games should be easier to port and cleaner than ever....vaguely recall square enix expressing interest in brining FFXV to PC.. that will certainly be a deciding factor in whether i snag a ps 4 or w/e...

is really hard to imagine consoles supporting 4k in the next decade.... the next gen ones seem to be on par w/ midrange GPUs from three years ago..... and even modern midrange gpus would be crushed.....  wonder how long it will take to stuff what's currently a $1k gpu into a console

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineKonyap

Re: who thinks next gen games suck? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #19944006 - 05/05/14 11:57 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

x86

the wii u is the only one still using powerPC like x60 and that's because it gets better use out of the CPU speed

with games being installed though it is only inevitable console and p.c. are going to blend together(outside of mods of course)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: who thinks next gen games suck? [Re: Konyap]
    #19945076 - 05/05/14 04:43 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
x86

the wii u is the only one still using powerPC like x60 and that's because it gets better use out of the CPU speed

with games being installed though it is only inevitable console and p.c. are going to blend together(outside of mods of course)

yes, me saying x64 was just abbreviating x86-64 :shrug: the point being that it is going to be easier to code games for multiplatforms than ever before.... i don't think the fact that more console games install to hdd is really the discerning factor of whether they decide to port to pc :lol:

i think square enix will likely bring their latest and greatest final fantasy to PC, they've done quite well for themselves w/ FF7 & FF8 on Steam of late...

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineKonyap

#19945528 - 05/05/14 06:07 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

it makes a big difference though considering pc's have memory on the graphics and the consoles have it in the RAM

the ps4 is extremely well in that area, completely new and almost as good as a p.c's ddr5

InvisibleLordSenate Happy Birthday!
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
    #19945963 - 05/05/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Whatever.. I love next gen consoles, I love PC.. games.. doesn't matter which form, anyway, anyhow.. bring it.

still tho PC MASTER RACE

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19946042 - 05/05/14 07:42 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
it makes a big difference though considering pc's have memory on the graphics and the consoles have it in the RAM

the ps4 is extremely well in that area, completely new and almost as good as a p.c's ddr5

well, in particular it's because when data is being read off a spinning disc, you're gonna have shitty load times, because the data transfer rate is very low compared to even a rotational hard drive or an SSD.... you could burn an install folder of a PC game and load it up from disc and I'm sure it would have shitty load times too....

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#19946075 - 05/05/14 07:47 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

yeah but not always blu ray read speed has gotten faster the ps3 is 9.8mB/s xbox 14 and wii u 20

anyway wii u has like an all around data streaming of 15gb/s while ps4 is at like 100gb/s lol

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#19948577 - 05/06/14 08:46 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I wouldn't count on that.. PC technology grows by leaps and bounds every week. They are always on the verge of something new. Game developers want to keep up.

I think the future of gaming is not PC but probably something like Occulus Rift. PC is the most "powerful" but people will ALWAYS flock to consoles. For good reason. Current consoles (PS4/XB1) are basically modeled after PCs, but there will always be the advantage of not having to have the right graphics card, the ram requirements, and even then it just might plain not work. There have been many times when I've bought a game, only to find out it won't work on my computer (and I generally do not get refunded for this type of thing). It could conflict with some .dll file and that's it, game doesn't work, hope tech support helps. On the other hand, the main upside of a console is you pop the game in and you play. No compatibility errors, you are paying for a guarantee that this game will work, AND it'll work just as well on your console as your friends. On PC, you have to scale things down and sort of DIY things. I guess it's like comparing pre-sterilized substrate to buying raw materials :P

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: who thinks next gen games suck? [Re: Fractal420]
    #19954919 - 05/07/14 05:01 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I think you are way overblowing compatibility issues. I've been gaming on PCs for 25? years over thousands of games and many different systems. I have only found a handful of games I couldn't get to work, and those were usually cracked games from torrent sites...

If a game won't work on your computer because the PC specs are under the min requirements or you have a hardware/software issue that's your issue not exactly the game's...

99.99% of the time, when I install a game on my PC, it just works. Very rarely do I ever need to do anything special to get a game running.

Yeah it's true PCs take a little more know-how, and consoles are just "plug it in and play". But that's just the cost of having 100x the capabilities. But consoles are not without their issues either. Who remembers the infamous Red ring of death? And something like that happens, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to fix it, you can't just swap out a part or go with a different manufacturer.. you have to hope they fix it. With PC, you have choices. You can go with AMD or Intel, AMD or Nvidia, Seagate or WD or Toshiba or Intel or Samsung. Etc etc. You are not confined to a specific limited hardware setup.

Yeah people will always flock to consoles.. that is the mainstream gaming market after all.. and as consoles get better and PC's get better and smaller we will probably start to see even more crossover between the two. But as it stands currently and has been for some time, PCs are usually around 2-3 years ahead of consoles in terms of technology.

--------------------

Offlinesolomilitia
The offender

#19955172 - 05/07/14 05:51 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i got so pissed at the xbox one that i went back to the
NES,SNES,and even picked up a SEGA gen
so happy i went back to old school games

--------------------

NEVER AGAIN UNPUNISHED http://www.wolf-pac.com/

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19955709 - 05/07/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i think more like a decade ahead... imho you wont be seeing 4k gaming consoles this decade and it is already being done on pc

25 years ago pc gaming was considerably more difficult, remember when you had to manage your conventional and extended memory and fuck with your autoexec.bat and config.sys appropriately, do config exe files for the game to setup your soundblaster, extra downloads for 3dfx usually blahblah...

getting them to work was a hack of sorts in itself....

now you have the specs and proper drivers installed and double click an installer, has never been easier....

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (05/07/14 07:34 PM)

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19955865 - 05/07/14 08:03 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I think a lot of next gen games are good! Sure some suck, but that has always been the case. I haven't seen anything appealing about the current XBOX1/PS4 games yet though. I'm sure SOMETHING will come out and make my oogly eye that shit.

PC gaming is nice and I love that shit to death.......... BUT

Nothing beats fucking laying down in bed with a beer on the night stand, smokin a joint and playing on a console at night in bed on a big ass TV screen. Can't do that on a PC!

OfflineKonyap

Re: who thinks next gen games suck? [Re: Uzziel]
    #19956103 - 05/07/14 08:52 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

ps4 is a hype machine the x1 and ps4 cpu's aren't even that much faster then the shitty wii u's cpu, but they're using the GFx cards more nowadays, the ps4 like i said can take shit tons of data and send it around, while the xbone will have cloud computing to sort of parrellel much better built systems through the internet

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19956188 - 05/07/14 09:10 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Actually that's true.. I do remember back in the day you did have to do some crazy tricks to get some games to work. But related to consoles that was like back in NES days.. back when blowing on the cartridge was a standard T/Sing step :laugh:

nowadays everything has become much more and more streamlined. I 'spose it may be different for us who have been using PCs most of our lives and it's just second nature. But for the past ~10 years or so, getting games to work on PC has been no problem, just the occasional issue like running ancient games on newer OSes/drivers, which can usually be worked around.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19956703 - 05/07/14 10:53 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

heheh, blowing was half the equation for my NES, eventually i had to jam a cartridge sleeve inside the NES to keep the cartridge slightly pressed down to get it to load properly

everything was so ghetto then, did you game when you needed a passthrough cable from your 2d card to your 3d card :lol:

and windows 3.1 was an existential nightmare working out irq conflicts etc, lol

back then they gave you a big ass manual with your operating system, cuz you needed it

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19956712 - 05/07/14 10:54 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

LOL

I remember that shit. Especially for the N64. I always had to blow and jam that shit straight into it. That was always the fix to it... don't know if that was good for the game, but fuck it, it worked! :lol:

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: who thinks next gen games suck? [Re: Uzziel]
    #19956735 - 05/07/14 11:02 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

heh yah i'm actually quite thankful i lived before the era where i could google or ask on forums for the answers to all my electronic predicaments, gave me some sense of problem solving and critical thinking most people i encounter sorely lack

no to mention RTFM skillz :tongue:

i think companies like GoG actually streamline the process for a lot of those ancient games, I've seen virtually all of my favorite ones for sale and I can't fathom them doing it if they didn't load right up

otherwise you can get things like dosbox for the original installers

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (05/07/14 11:10 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19957455 - 05/08/14 04:03 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

LOL I remember those passthrough cables...and yeah Windows 3.1 was a barrel full of fun... let's not speak of the abortion that was ME

Speaking on next gen.....

GTX 880 apparently w/ 8GB of VRAM
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/37518/geforce-gtx-880-engineering-sample-features-8gb-of-ram/index.html

8K gaming here we come..

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19957585 - 05/08/14 05:10 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

And here's what Crysis3 looks like with a hacked 8k resolution....

https://imgur.com/a/SWMPo

Pretty fucking nuts. I can only imagine what future game engines will be able to do.
Apparently he got like 2 FPS max while at that resolution with a top of the line beast machine :lol:
Actual 8K is probably a ways off though..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss, Shroomism, CookieCrumbs
8,573 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.