Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! * 1
    #19915824 - 04/29/14 08:19 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I love to laugh at people that use that kind of argument to justify smoking or drinking or whatever. Its fun to listen to them make fools of themselves like that. They use that one example out of 1000 to justify doing things that are bad for them.

"You shouldn't smoke you know"
- Yeah well my grampa...!

So you grampa was the 1 in 1000. Do you seriously want to roll the dices with these odds?

Which brings me to the real subject of this thread; Why do people take skewed examples to justify their bad behaviors/habits?

Its as if they pick a role model and hope they are gonna get lucky like him/her.

Isn't it easy to just admit you have a bad habit?

Thoughts?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePretty Lights
 User Gallery

Loc: Up
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal] * 4
    #19915837 - 04/29/14 08:26 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

People think it's a strength to not admit weakness. Little do they know that makes them as weak as possible to not see their own faults.

--------------------
Spit barbiturates to make you rub your tits and shit
Have your body moving, shaking hips and throwing fits

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal]
    #19915849 - 04/29/14 08:29 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The number of smokers that don't die of something smoking related is significant and genetics would play a significant role. The problem is that you're not just a clone of your grampa, so you're not guaranteed to have the same resistances he did.

Offlinedpomalia
Strange
 User Gallery

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal] * 1
    #19915852 - 04/29/14 08:29 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Psychology claims we are all optimistic thinkers no matter how pessimistic you may come off as.
When we hear poor results we are optimistic thinking it won't be us and obviously we pay.
Smoking cigs, unprotected sex, skin cancer, etc.
A test on this was done where people were studied in an electronic brain scanner and asked what the likely hood for them to get cancer Alzheimer's etc
Then after the results were gathered the examiner would play the average Americans that get those diseases on a screen. And asked the same question to see variance of answers.
If the patient said they were 25% likely to get cancer and then told the average is 50% the patients answer wouldn't change showing optimism . But if the patient assumed they were 75% likely to get cancer and the average was 50% they would move their estimated likelyhood closer to 50% showing optimism
This trial was done many times with the same results
Woohoo psychology 101

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Pretty Lights]
    #19915855 - 04/29/14 08:31 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

So you grampa was the 1 in 1000. Do you seriously want to roll the dices with these odds?

I roll the dice every day! This world has become so full of cautious pussies that dont want to break the rules because they feel society wont like them for being rebellious or the want to be rebellious to get society to like them. Bullshit, dont live a little, live A LOT!

Obviously there are people out there with genetics that keep them living longer. If something looks fun to you, go for it. Life is about the adventure not the beginning or the end, since life is cyclical. :trippinbawelz:

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal] * 3
    #19915958 - 04/29/14 09:11 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

It's also really annoying when someone says, "you shouldn't smoke, you know". Why would you ever say that?! Everyone knows that smoking is a terrible idea.

Invisibletrekie
Metal man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Larger cities Flag
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal] * 2
    #19915968 - 04/29/14 09:16 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Not all of us want to live to 95.
Many of us don't have those rich parents whom bought us a house.

I understand why you want to live so long dude. You just want to see Canada win back the cup.how are the mapleleafs doing this year.
:trollhide:

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #19916013 - 04/29/14 09:32 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
It's also really annoying when someone says, "you shouldn't smoke, you know". Why would you ever say that?! Everyone knows that smoking is a terrible idea.

Smoking is weird. Everybody knows they shouldn't smoke, but many people, especially poor people have a skewed perspective about it.

So of them are either fatalist, saying this popular phrase "Well I gotta die from something!". So they justify their smoking that way

Others use cigarettes as a form of entertainment, since its one of the only form of entertainment they can afford.

Some that live in high smoking area/families approach it with the "it's what we do" attitude.

Its fucked up, in places where cigarette marketing isn't banned, tobacco companies aim their ads towards poor people and even lower cigarette prizes in poor neighborhoods.

--------------------

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal]
    #19916020 - 04/29/14 09:36 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I enjoy tobacco because of the buzz, the act of smoking itself, and for me it can be one way to relax after a long day of work.

Guess I'm a major weirdo

Offlinedpomalia
Strange
 User Gallery

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: tealeaf]
    #19916031 - 04/29/14 09:39 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Tobacco will cause u to feel constantly burnt after awhile ime
And by then the buzz is long gone all u feel at that point is relief from nicotine withdrawal. Which does feel good. But its set up to chase the dragon. And nicotine isn't even a good drug

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Patlal] * 2
    #19916064 - 04/29/14 09:47 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I'm thinking you say "you shouldn't smoke you know" to a lot of different people. Why would you do that? Has anyone ever given their cigarette a startled look, snubbed it out, and said, "thanks buddy, I don't know what I was doing"?

Offlinespecialpeopleclub
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Pretty Lights]
    #19916076 - 04/29/14 09:50 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Pretty Lights said:
People think it's a strength to not admit weakness. Little do they know that makes them as weak as possible to not see their own faults.

Also, even with perfect health, can cells even keep reproducing to 122?

I smoke on and off, not habitualy ever. I have pretty much quit(I like the feeling a bit), since the cellular damage it does is pretty much perminant, and cell health is very important overall

Some people can drink alot and be alright, personally, after a day of drinking I have to recover, or I feel sick

--------------------

Offlinejimmyguy
Male

#19916092 - 04/29/14 09:56 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
I love to laugh at people that use that kind of argument to justify smoking or drinking or whatever. Its fun to listen to them make fools of themselves like that. They use that one example out of 1000 to justify doing things that are bad for them.

"You shouldn't smoke you know"
- Yeah well my grampa...!

Which brings me to the real subject of this thread; Why do people take skewed examples to justify their bad behaviors/habits?

Its as if they pick a role model and hope they are gonna get lucky like him/her.

Isn't it easy to just admit you have a bad habit?

Thoughts?

somebodys grandpa lived for 122 years,, while 6 milion people dıes before 70 .... thanks to smoking and drinking.  so why 6 miliion people dont live that long?:shrug: lollish?

--------------------
i love you

Invisiblekoraks
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: specialpeopleclub] * 1
    #19916103 - 04/29/14 10:01 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

specialpeopleclub said:
Quote:

Pretty Lights said:

Also, even with perfect health, can cells even keep reproducing to 122?

At the moment, it's unlikely. Stem cells have by that time become so riddled with genetic modifications that they are virtually incapable of making e.g. new blood cells. The telomeres on cells in people of this age tend to be so incredibly short that it's clear that they aren't capable of dividing much more.

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: trekie]
    #19916300 - 04/29/14 11:00 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trekie said:
Not all of us want to live to 95.
Many of us don't have those rich parents whom bought us a house.

I understand why you want to live so long dude. You just want to see Canada win back the cup.how are the mapleleafs doing this year.
:trollhide:

I would enjoy living to 120.  My friends grandma died at 121 and she smoked as well.  The amount of knowledge one could accumulate is ridiculous.  If you don't have a house and don't want to pay rent, move somewhere warm and forage for food.  If you think life is fair you are bound to die unhappy.

Invisiblevolcomstoner
I'll have just one more xanax
Male User Gallery

Loc: Minnesnowta
    #19919232 - 04/29/14 10:37 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
Ok, I'm thinking you say "you shouldn't smoke you know" to a lot of different people. Why would you do that? Has anyone ever given their cigarette a startled look, snubbed it out, and said, "thanks buddy, I don't know what I was doing"?

:rofl:

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

Burke Dennings said:

Smoking is weird. Everybody knows they shouldn't smoke, but many people, especially poor people have a skewed perspective about it.

So of them are either fatalist, saying this popular phrase "Well I gotta die from something!". So they justify their smoking that way

Others use cigarettes as a form of entertainment, since its one of the only form of entertainment they can afford.

Some that live in high smoking area/families approach it with the "it's what we do" attitude.

Its fucked up, in places where cigarette marketing isn't banned, tobacco companies aim their ads towards poor people and even lower cigarette prizes in poor neighborhoods.

I'm honest about why I smoke. I do it because it makes me look like a motherfucking badass

--------------------

HAIL SATAN

Vas donc jouer dans le traffic

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: volcomstoner]
    #19919233 - 04/29/14 10:37 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

life is only about looking cool.

Invisiblepsychodelia
Not a cop

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: thelanzii]
    #19919240 - 04/29/14 10:39 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah well my nan shot 20 speedballs a day and she lived to be 56!

--------------------
don't be nervous

InvisibleJuicin
Stranger
Male
    #19919242 - 04/29/14 10:40 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I told my doctor there were plenty of centurions* who smoked the other day

He took it well

Edited by Juicin (04/29/14 10:42 PM)

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Juicin]
    #19919249 - 04/29/14 10:42 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Well they also grew up in generations that smoking was something you did for health. So there resistances were probably a lot stronger than the generations after.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

InvisibleJuicin
Stranger
Male
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Enjoywho]
    #19919256 - 04/29/14 10:45 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking more along the lines of Asians smoke different tobacco

Phillip Morris how it's made video

Article about japs not smoking shit commercial tobacco

http://fightantismokertyranny.blogspot.com/2009/06/japanese-smoking-paradox.html

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Juicin]
    #19919404 - 04/29/14 11:22 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

even if you smoke 1 ciggerette a day you triple chances

now say you somehow injure your lung then that's just more smoking related problems down the line

even if you do quite there may be a 20 year half life you have to wait through

people die younger if they don't drink/smoke and it fudges up the statistics

if you drink socially yeah you will live longer then all of the sober people who are sick all the time from stress and dietary problems

InvisibleJuicin
Stranger
Male
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Konyap]
    #19919415 - 04/29/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Oh I was just making a joke to my doctor....

But there is some obvious evidence that if heeded would make smoking tobacco much more like smoking cannabis flower from a health perspective.

Edited by Juicin (04/29/14 11:27 PM)

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: Konyap]
    #19919423 - 04/29/14 11:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

you are touching on many factors as to what constitutes a long life

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: My grampa smoked 3 packs a day, drank a 40 of whisky every day and ate fast food. He died at 122! [Re: thelanzii]
    #19919429 - 04/29/14 11:30 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

dnt cpy pasta mee...

InvisibleCosmic_Flame
THE BREAKFAST EMPRESS
Female User Gallery

Loc: Under The Sea
    #19920373 - 04/30/14 05:15 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Kieth Richards

--------------------
Pull the blinds and change their minds....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom