Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
where to look?? please help
    #1991062 - 10/08/03 08:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

hello, first of all i would like to say that i have read everything that the shroomery has to offer about magic mushroom hunting and i have also gone out and bought two books about mushrooms, one of the two is specifically for finding psychoactive mushrooms.  Everything has been very helpful especially the books. I have been out shroom hunting numerous times now and every time i find a couple of shrooms usually very small and pointless ones. But not once yet have i found one remotely close to what i am looking for (psychoactive mushrooms).  Earlier today me and a friend went out looking and found some small shrooms that turned out to be nothing worth keeping as usual. We found this field, and personally i thought it looked like it had some very good possibilities, but we didn't find anything. (Heres a picture of the field we where looking around in today)

anyways... i live in central ohio, in the capitol city so its a bitch to go out to the country and go hunting, but i still make time for it, i was just asking if anyone could please give me some tips, or even better if you live in the suburbs like me, give me some city tips, but any personal tips on hunting would be greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this, and i hope your shroom hunting luck has and will be better then mine:)

" :mushroom2:"   

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: where to look?? please help [Re: vade]
    #1991202 - 10/08/03 09:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Choose some specific species to hunt for. You can, of course, pick anything you find, but choose one.

Then read up on the habitat they grow in. Now, go look for that habitat.

Don't stop after you look in the first place and don't (or maybe do) find any. Keep looking. Plan to take all day looking (especially if you have to drive a ways to get there).

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: where to look?? please help [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1991310 - 10/08/03 10:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, for example, as you go about your regular life, eventually you will pass a farm with cattle, perhaps you are hoping to find Panaeolus subbaltaetus for example, its probably the best choice for a begginner to focus on mushrooms that grow fairly ubundantly, are easy to ID, and worry about the more powerful ones later.

in this case you would want to know a few pastures and check them time to time after rains, particularly around composted stable shavings with alot of strawand dung. (common)

during warmer humid days 2-3 days after rain, you could check your
suspected habitats, looking close to all the fine details and eventually you become able to predict where and when they will grow, wasting alot of time and picking more.

--------------------

OnlinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
Re: where to look?? please help [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1991334 - 10/08/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

persistance is key
i probly spent about 100 hours or so, shroom hunting, before i found my first patch of active mushies

--------------------

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: where to look?? please help [Re: PeyoteZen]
    #1993767 - 10/09/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This may seem lame but just go to different towns & look for the 'cool' kids. You can always spot the ones who are into shrooming. Ask them where a good shroom field is & they will sometimes oblige. It's alot easier than blindly trapsing off into a strange pasture!

Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
Re: where to look?? please help [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #1995095 - 10/09/03 10:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for all of the tips so far guys, i am going out hunting tomorrow, so well see what i find, if anything;)

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification