Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Guitar Amp Help
    #19907983 - 04/27/14 03:48 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I have been looking into buying a new amp recently for my electric guitar as the amp I have had so far is a piece of crap and I sold it to just practice out of my speakers. So here is what I am considering:

Vox Valvetronix+

I am leaning towards this one as it is only 350$ for a 120 watt amp that has isn't straight tube but has tube. Another plus is I could buy one for 180$- 500~ in the 20 watt- 150 watt range. So if I don't feel like spending on a more pricey amp I may just try and get the 20 watt and hook it up to a PA system for extra power. Anyways this amp has 33 preset amp modals in it and 99 effects, 11 pedals, and 8 savable custom presets.

This is the other one I am eying:

Fender Mustang III V.2 Guitar Combo Amp, 100 W, 1x12", Black

This mainly interests my because it has usb connection, has 100 presets, and is a fender amp because they are a nice company. But so is Vox... I was hoping someone here who knows more about amps than me could give me some advice, or recommend me some better deals on nicer amps. Thought I looked around for awhile and couldn't better deals.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: musiclover420]
    #19908094 - 04/27/14 04:12 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I like the fender. Pretty cheap too for its functions.

I want to get a Mesa boogie transatlantic 30watt but can't justify spending $1100 on it just yet

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: ManianFH]
    #19908168 - 04/27/14 04:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I like the fender one too. Is there something in particular you didn't like about the Vox one though? Because that is what I am leaning towards. Mainly because I could get one for 180$ that has all the same stuff as the 350$ one. Which has most of the same features the fender has minus usb and a few others. The vox one would give me 33 preset amp models for 180$ compared to 18 for 330$ with just a big wattage difference. Or I could get the 120watter vox for 20$ more...

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Invisibleindocult
Dr
Male User Gallery

#19908928 - 04/27/14 07:22 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

What kind of stuff are you interested in playing ?

InvisibleAbsolem0918
the wise fool
Male

#19909088 - 04/27/14 07:53 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
I have been looking into buying a new amp recently for my electric guitar as the amp I have had so far is a piece of crap and I sold it to just practice out of my speakers. So here is what I am considering:

Vox Valvetronix+

I am leaning towards this one as it is only 350$ for a 120 watt amp that has isn't straight tube but has tube. Another plus is I could buy one for 180$- 500~ in the 20 watt- 150 watt range. So if I don't feel like spending on a more pricey amp I may just try and get the 20 watt and hook it up to a PA system for extra power. Anyways this amp has 33 preset amp modals in it and 99 effects, 11 pedals, and 8 savable custom presets.

This is the other one I am eying:

Fender Mustang III V.2 Guitar Combo Amp, 100 W, 1x12", Black

This mainly interests my because it has usb connection, has 100 presets, and is a fender amp because they are a nice company. But so is Vox... I was hoping someone here who knows more about amps than me could give me some advice, or recommend me some better deals on nicer amps. Thought I looked around for awhile and couldn't better deals.

i have that fender mustang amp. it rocks. got mine alot cheaper though at a local store.

--------------------

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #19909186 - 04/27/14 08:14 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I own a new mustang IV amplifier

I've owned A LOT of amps over the last 12 years and it is hand's down one of the best amps I've owned for the money.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the mustang III you are eying up.

--------------------

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: Absolem0918]
    #19909232 - 04/27/14 08:27 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I was using the Fender Mustang for a while, and still would be if it werent in another state. It IS great for everything it offers. And I thought it sounded awesome.

But recently, I moved to California, and couldnt take it with me, but I took an electric guitar, and was looking for ways to play it. I was familiar with Audio Interfaces because I record a lot of music, and knew I was going to get one eventually, so I figured why not get one to use for my guitar, because I would eventually get one anyways for other microphone duties(I got an Akai EIE I/O from Ebay for 130, it's zero-latency).

OF course I needed some Guitar Amp sims to get some tones, and I looked into the Kuassa Amp Sims. I was familiar with some of their plugs from Computer Music Magazine.

And holy FUCKING SHIT. These fucking plugins sound LIKE TUBES. I'm not kidding, most authentic responses I've EVER dealt with. Like I said, I THOUGHT the mustang sounded good, and it does. But the Kuassa Amps sounds fucking incredible.

So if you have an interface, and a DAW, I HIGHLY recommend the Kuassa Plugins. You can get both the high-gain aim and the nice vintage/rock/blues amp for less than a Mustang, and I can point you in the direction of other great free plugins that are 0 latency that I use as effects pedals.

These amps are truely inspiring, and can give you all the range that the Mustang amp will, but with less amp options, which is perfect because the Mustang was nice, but it got redundant with ALL the models. I would eventually be able to dial in roughly the same tone with nearly any amp. Not the SAME, but a similar/usable tone for the occasion, and that was with 12 goddamn amps. Each Kuassa amp(2) has 3 amp types to chose from, and 2/3 channels that you switch thru with buttons.

Not a spokesperson for them, just and exTREMELY happy customer. Not kidding, I got so goddamn drunk the other night, I had to look behind my computer to make sure someone didnt hide a real amp.

http://www.kuassa.com/products/

OfflineThrill
Regnarts
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Beyond the Grey Sky Flag
Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: Azure Essence]
    #19909501 - 04/27/14 09:31 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe Im just old school, but Im not into modeling amps with presets and effects and all those other things. People get way crazy with effects and shit these days. I just like to plug into a tube amp, dial it in once, and be done with it.

OfflineGreySatyr
Pagan-Psyche
Male

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: Thrill] * 1
    #19909507 - 04/27/14 09:33 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed.

--------------------
...also, go to hell, huh?

InvisibleLySergic D
Drink all day and rock all night
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: GreySatyr]
    #19909560 - 04/27/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Ill tell you something about amps.
Stay away from anything over 50 Watt unless you are playing for 1000+ people. Especially if you are using a tube amp which will be louder than solid state.

Id go with a 20watt completely tube amp. That way, you can still play at small volumes and get the desired overdrive that people seek out when they go tube.
You can also crank it and it will be loud enough to play with a band.

Also depends what sounds you are looking for in a amp AND the styles of music you play.
Mesa is expensive but they are a versatile amp. Buy a Mesa and you will never need to buy another amp for the rest of your life.

--------------------

Broken heart don't feel so bad
You ain't got half of what you thought you had
Rock you baby to and fro
Not too fast and not too slow

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

#19909561 - 04/27/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

My advice would be to not get a digital modeling amp like those and get a real tube amp. That Vox doesn't actually have tunes it's just a marketing gimmick just like Marshalls "valvestate" amps. You can get cheap tube amps. Check out the peavey valveking.

Tube just sounds way better and will be louder too. The solid state amps always over rate the wattage. I had a 30 Watt tube Mesa amp that was easily twice as loud as a 100 Watt digital line 6.

Oh and I say digital sucks unless we're talking about the Fractal audio axe fx 2, that thing is amazing. It costs 2 grand though.

--------------------

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: searching]
    #19909613 - 04/27/14 09:59 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Just another opinion from the elitist tube crazy fans :p

Like I said...ive owned A LOT of guitar amps over the last 12 years.  From a crate blue voodoo 300 full stack to mesa to marshall to peavey and everything in between.

The line 6 spider 4 and the fender mustang 4 can model the "tube sound" pretty damn awesome in my opinion.

I still maintain that the fender mustang is your best bang for your buck OP.

Now if you have a nice large budget...by all means...a large tube amp is the way to go.  But for the price, the fender mustang is an amazing piece of equipment.

--------------------

Offlinemnj
Rad Visuospatial Sketchpad
Male

Loc: Inner Space
Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: Masked]
    #19909689 - 04/27/14 10:19 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I have a lower watt valvetronix. It's great for just playing at home. Not the most pure sounding amp', but great for versatility.

--------------------
LAGM 2024

:sagetrip:

Thank yoU
please come again
FrienD

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: mnj]
    #19909887 - 04/27/14 11:19 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

All the demos I watched sounded pretty nice IMO, and I would love a full tube amp but they are pretty pricey. Like I said the 20watt vox is 180$ The fender one looks nice too but I liked the vox demos I watched better. Also I got a vox multieffect pedal recently that will be here any day so having a versatile vox amp to go with it would be nice. But I was thinking the opposite too, it would be cool to have a nice fender or marshal with a vox pedal.

--------------------

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: Thrill]
    #19911434 - 04/28/14 12:09 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Thrill said:
Maybe Im just old school, but Im not into modeling amps with presets and effects and all those other things. People get way crazy with effects and shit these days. I just like to plug into a tube amp, dial it in once, and be done with it.

I agree 90 percent of my tone is my amp/guitar, but sometimes I need a certain shimmer that only a choruser will bring, or a certain sustain/depth that only a delay gives me, a certain grit only found in fuzz, and a certain presence that only a compressor provides.

You're thinking of people going overboard, which I'm not talking about. Effects should be so subtle you dont notice them, only when they're gone.

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

#19911450 - 04/28/14 12:12 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

And sorry guys, but it's 2014 now, and I assume none of you have heard the Kuassa stuff. Modeling has come too far. Plenty of double blind tests on GearSlutz, KVR, countless blogs and magazines have shown that no one can really tell the difference betwen Solid State and Tube, or even Modeling or Authentic(within reason. Some models DO suck). Chances are you've heard an album in the last year that you loved the tones on that was a Line 6 POD HD or AmpluTube rig.

Universal Audio models some equipment that NULLS with the original hardware units. Even as an elitist, I highly doubt you can tell the difference between top notch models and top notch amps. You'd be one of the first, if it wasnt blind luck.

OfflineGreySatyr
Pagan-Psyche
Male

Loc: North Carolina
    #19911497 - 04/28/14 12:22 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

What's an amp?

:lolsy:

Jk, I play acoustic.

--------------------
...also, go to hell, huh?

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

#19911600 - 04/28/14 12:46 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Sometimes I play the Clamp

InvisiblePretty Lights
 User Gallery

Loc: Up
Re: Guitar Amp Help [Re: LySergic D]
    #19911617 - 04/28/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LySergic D said:
Ill tell you something about amps.
Stay away from anything over 50 Watt unless you are playing for 1000+ people. Especially if you are using a tube amp which will be louder than solid state.

Id go with a 20watt completely tube amp. That way, you can still play at small volumes and get the desired overdrive that people seek out when they go tube.
You can also crank it and it will be loud enough to play with a band.

This is the best advice in the thread. I have a 65w and its LOUD. Choosing brand just depends on the sound you want to produce.

--------------------
Spit barbiturates to make you rub your tits and shit
Have your body moving, shaking hips and throwing fits

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #19911725 - 04/28/14 01:11 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I'd go with the vox for the price you cant beat it. But if you want a tube amp try like hell to find an Orange head but they are like hens teeth and your gonna pay out the ass for tubes. A 200 watt Marshall head can't hold a birthday candle to an Orange.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates