Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Judge delays sentencing in LSD case
    #1989666 - 10/08/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/100703/bre_lsdcase.shtml

Judge delays sentencing in LSD case

By Steve Fry
The Capital-Journal

The sentencing of two men convicted of trafficking in millions of doses of LSD has been postponed until Nov. 6 so a defense witness can determine the amount of controlled substances in the case.

The sentencing of William Leonard Pickard and Clyde Apperson has been scheduled in U.S. District Court for a third time. Pickard and Apperson were to have been sentenced on Oct. 3, but U.S. District Judge Richard Rogers granted a request by Pickard -- which Apperson later joined -- to delay the sentencing.

After an 11-week trial, a federal court jury convicted Pickard and Apperson on March 31 of conspiracy and possession of LSD with intent to distribute more than 10 grams. It was the longest criminal trial in U.S. District Court in Topeka for at least 23 years. The trial started Jan. 13.

The first sentencing date was to be Aug. 8, but was postponed to Oct. 3 and then re-scheduled to Nov. 6.

Each defendant faces a minimum of 10 years in prison and a maximum of life in prison without parole.

In granting the postponement, Rogers said he was concerned whether any continuance was necessary.

"However, in an abundance of caution and to allow the defendants every opportunity to confront the issues facing them at sentencing, the court shall allow an additional 30 days," Rogers wrote in a three-page ruling.

Pickard had requested a 60-day extension, but Rogers approved an extra 30 days, saying an expert witness had been appointed for about two months, and the witness will have had "adequate time to prepare for sentencing."

During the trial, Pickard testified he was in academics and was conducting research with high-level contacts in federal law enforcement circles, the U.S. State Department, Russia and Afghanistan. He told jurors he was en route to destroy an LSD lab on Nov. 6, 2000, when Kansas Highway Patrol troopers stopped his vehicle and a rental truck driven by Apperson. The rental truck was hauling the lab near a converted missile silo in Wamego, where the lab had been stored.

Prosecution evidence painted Pickard as a chemist who gathered the chemicals and cooked millions of doses of LSD and Apperson as the person who set up, took down and moved the LSD lab. The lab operated in Colorado, New Mexico and a converted missile site in Ellsworth County. LSD was shipped to California and Europe, according to evidence.

Apperson didn't testify during the trial.

After the sentence was read on March 31, Apperson, 47, who had been free on bond pending the trial, was taken into custody. Pickard, 57, has been in custody since Nov. 7, 2000.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: motaman]
    #2005570 - 10/13/03 04:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Poor guys.

--------------------

OfflinePsilo707
Entheonaut

Loc: Bay Area, California
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #2030869 - 10/22/03 12:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

A life sentence for helping the world.
Fuck You America.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: Psilo707]
    #2035680 - 10/23/03 12:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psilo707 said:
A life sentence for helping the world.
Fuck You America.

Don't be a dick.

America is all of us who live in the U.S.A.

You mean to say:
"F*** the laws that make LSD-25 an illegal food, forbidding Americans to ingest."

We are the people yet the people have not enough say in the matter. All of us "are the people." Not those who unwittingly despise LSD-25.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: motaman]
    #2035929 - 10/23/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Serves those pieces of shit right, for narcing on so many.

These guys are 1st class rule breakers. Read chinacats posts.

Karma just got them, in the end.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinedastats
Efrum theretarded rabbit
Loc: B.C.
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: Raadt]
    #2038801 - 10/24/03 03:00 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I dunno whut to say here. I'd say too bad some really good lsd never made it to market. If it was good of course. The fact that they were doing it around gov't missle silo's is kinna funny. And as fer the USA, well yes, you are american, but they are slowly taking every right away frum you. If you don't fight back, you will have chips in yer arms, and big brother will kow everything you are doing. Boo controlled society. Pack yer bags and head fer the hills. You will find me there lock, stock with 2 smoking barrels.

Peace all
Jater

--------------------
Peace all.

Jater

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: dastats]
    #2039340 - 10/24/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

> Pack yer bags and head fer the hills.

Already did. I moved out of the US because I couldn't stand living in a police state anymore.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: Seuss]
    #2040893 - 10/24/03 10:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Id like to move away from here, maybe I'll be able to get a decent job once i graduate. I've been thinking a lot latly that I'd like to teach basic computer/internet classes because I feel I could actually make a difference educating in this area.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2041513 - 10/25/03 04:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Is it any better in the Virgin Islands?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Judge delays sentencing in LSD case [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2042196 - 10/25/03 04:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

> Is it any better in the Virgin Islands?

Much. No open container laws, you have to wreck to get a DUI (more or less), drugs are still illegal, but something like 85% of the island smokes cannabis, etc.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #2043116 - 10/26/03 12:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The second one there is a good point?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service