Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetochiro
Stranger
jar status
    #1989499 - 10/08/03 10:41 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I inoc'ed these jars about thirty days ago.. I don't believe I kept them in enough indirect sunlight till recently or perhaps there is too much water in the substrate (gauge on PC is broken... brf appeared a bit too saturated with water after sterilization).

That all aside, these jars seem to be getting there. There was a temperature drop as the seasons are beginning to change around here. since the normal indoor temperature was no longer in between 70-80 degrees I put a painter light on the jars (60 watts) and it keeps them happy at 75-80 degrees.

Unfortunately the flux in temperature they experienced last week has led to pinning. With the cakes in the condition they're in, is it a wise move to birth them soon? when I see the bottom of the cake (included in the photo) it appears to have too much water in the bottom of the cake or something along those lines (also note the presence of un colonized substrate...)

So, my theorizing aside, what's the deal with these things?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: jar status [Re: tochiro]
    #1989511 - 10/08/03 10:52 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see any pools of water.... If you're worried you could always pin invitro.

Next time if you don't want them to pin too soon don't expose them to light until a week or so before you want to pin.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: jar status [Re: micro]
    #1989517 - 10/08/03 10:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with micro. Keep them in the dark until they are ready to start pinning.

--------------------
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

It's always tea-time, and we've no time to wash the things between whiles.

Don't be a fool, this is a war on drugs. Act like. The government sure does!

Offlinetochiro
Stranger
Re: jar status [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #1989563 - 10/08/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I might've mis-read my PF-Tek then... I suppose so. Well, is there anything I can do to try and encourage the mycelium to colonize that substrate on the bottom of the cake? I figured they needed some gas exchange action so I followed... oh I don't remember where it is on the shroomery site somewhere in the FAQ... some advise that suggests turning the jars over for a bit to draw new air in. Should I get rid of the tin foil on the tops of the jars? Also, now that they've been in light for about a week would it be foolish to cover them?

Merci

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#1989604 - 10/08/03 11:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Flipping can't hurt. It's also likely that it's just a different consistancy on the bottom (too moist or clumps of just flour that settled to the bottom) and it's taking longer to colonize that part. You could flip them overnight and then let them colonize for another week and see if anything happens; even if they pin you can still fruit them. They will fruit in vitro, but if you really want to birth them and the bottoms are still fucked up just cut off all of the uncolonized parts.

--
Micro

--------------------

Offlinetochiro
Stranger
    #1989719 - 10/08/03 12:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It has been an entire /month/ though. What should that be telling me about my methods? Too much water? Too low a temperature? etc.

I've got them flipped over and underneath a towel right now... I'm a bit concerned that there are tiny tiny little shroomies on some of 'em and I have to leave them inside the jar. Poor things.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#1989732 - 10/08/03 12:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Lol!  Mushroom abuse :frown:

I've had jars take longer than a month before.  Adding less water usually speeds up colonization, but you may have to dunk them after they colonize to get a good flush any time soon.  They look fine to me, though....  kind of shitty on the bottoms, but this stuff can happen.

I prefer bags because you can shake them (even with brf) and this will make them colonize faster and nothing will settle like that.  Otherwise, maybe just add less water, maybe mix the ingredients better and don't handle the jars as much.  This is all I can really think of.

--
Micro

--------------------

Offlinetochiro
Stranger
    #1989753 - 10/08/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Don't handle the jars as much. Gotcha. I've had to give them a good bit of moving around, but they're settled where they are right now.

I've actually got two of those MycoBags going right now, the pre-filled ones with the self-healing injection site and the air filter. Those things were inoc'ed like twenty days ago and they're still rather lame. there is condensation where the bag has expanded a bit above the substrate, but no visable mycelium still. I feel like something is growing in there, but I can't see it.

Thanks for all the help by the way, it's quite appreciated.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation