Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Doin it for the right reasons, wrong reasons or just doin it
    #1989492 - 10/08/03 10:35 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

For the most part im a good person.
I try my best to hold a door any time I can, help someone with a brokedown car, and generally help out any human being possible who I am physically able to help. I cant help them all you know, and sometimes i just dont give a fuck. I am not perfect.

The other day one of the kids on the hockey team i coach's dad said to me "You are a good kid, you know that?" and it felt really awsome.

Then the other day, one girl out of this group of like 5 or so who ive been talking too recently said to me "They dont know what your game is, but i think you are honestly just a good person. I hope so anyways!"

That also felt really good. Im not trying to be nice because I want people to think good things of me, but then again maybe I am? It feels good when people say that to me, and its making me want to be a better person relizing that some people actually appreciate it.

That gives me hope that maybe its effecting more than I know in ways I dont know of. They always say change comes within, and i hope it does. Im trying.

Is treating people nice for the sake of my ego, or to gain friends for my own social and emotional security, or any other reasons other than being completely selfless the same?

I like to think im being humble and selfless when I act nice because I dont expect anything back, but I hope to help change the world into a better place, and that is infact expecting something back.

I like being nice, but it often times throws people for loops. As this one girl said, her friends think im trying to pull something on them, or other people see me as "weird" heHAeHAeHAHehaHEaHehaHEaHehaHeHAHEA

==]]]]]

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Doin it for the right reasons, wrong reasons or just doi [Re: tak]
    #1989498 - 10/08/03 10:40 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

maybe they just think im weird because i talk about 13 moons and stuff. ;]

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Doin it for the right reasons, wrong reasons or just doin it [Re: tak]
    #1989515 - 10/08/03 10:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

so if you are trying to get something back, as you say "making the world a better place". That would be two times in which you tried to help others through just one act. I dont want to set up some kind of point system or anything. But i think its okay that if you help other people for the sake of helping all other people, than you dont have anything to worry about. If you are someone like a rich bastard who donates money to the local charity, yet batters his wife... i dont think that would really be considered a good person. That is just trying to strengthen the image of being a good person so you can act out the "evil" parts of yourself. BUt if you are trying to do good for others, why worry if its your ego or not? If wwhat they say about ego's is true there isnt much you can do about it. "Enlightenment" comes with udnerstanding ones self, and the relationship of the things around you. If you constantly deny yourself a useful purpose, you will only be fighting yourself.... I read this horoscope of mine yesterday, and it said for me to "Confront my shadow". THat makes a lot of sense for me... MAybe all those things i fear from other people, are only the things about myself which i cant come to terms with. Facing my shadow(aka understanding those hidden parts of myself) i will be able to further help others. SO to you Tak... i dont think you have anything to worry about. Just as long as you arent one of those pedophile priests, or stuck up assholes that beat their wives, and are total douche bags, i think you will be All Right bro!

A lot of times being nice to people can sometimes be worse for you than anything, but i think its just a matter of understanding when to give people help, and when to let nature take its course. Some people dont understand at all what its like to caare about other human beings, and if you encounter that, i guess thats where its good to be humble, cause then you know that as time passes you will see that maybe they too will learn to adopt a sense of compassion that you have given them. If your worried about sadism, you have been smoking too much grass! :grin:

--------------------
What?

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Doin it for the right reasons, wrong reasons or just doi [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1989522 - 10/08/03 11:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

=D good shit man. I have a feeling it will all be good. Peace to my S&P brothers and sisters.

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#1989625 - 10/08/03 11:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If more people would try to "be nice" once in awhile, maybe the world actually WOULD be a better place. I strive to give everyone a fair chance in life and try not to judge other people based on hearsay, but I also wonder why I am able to do this (at least the majority of the time) when there are others who can't or won't. Its not "me against you", folks. Help a sister out. :grin:

The phrase "Nice guys finish last" keeps coming to mind...

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Doin it for the right reasons, wrong reasons or just doi [Re: adrug]
    #1989643 - 10/08/03 12:02 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"nice guys finish last" has always come to mind, but I guess it depends on what you are racing for, and where your own personal finish line is.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1989649 - 10/08/03 12:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

root-ninja-tak said:
"nice guys finish last" has always come to mind, but I guess it depends on what you are racing for, and where your own personal finish line is. 

Yep. Exactly. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #1990268 - 10/08/03 03:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

my last trip made me worry about this to the point where i thought i deserved to die. i also try to be extremely nice, smile, whatnot. but sometimes i question whether or not i do it to satisy myself. i want to be selfless when i help others. the way i see it, would you help somebody, if you wouldn't remember it, and nobody saw it, and the person didn't know? I think I would.

Just because somebody thanking you makes you happy, doesn't mean you're a bad person. Anywho, you should be glad your helping others, regardless of your intentions. You're helping others, and that's what matters :-) Given, if you have bad intentions, and in the long wrong, you know you aren't helping them, and it'll come back to kick you in the ass (so i believe), not as karma, but simply as the realization that you manipulated and hurt others... i just don't see that feeling good.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1990420 - 10/08/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think what you are questioning is if your motive is true.  On that point, I think you are probably safe :smile:

Just because we enjoy praise as a human being.. not so much even praise, but acknowledgement..

It doesnt mean that doing deeds worthy of praise has to be anything selfish.  You aren't Bill Gates giving away millions with picture ops and multimillion dollar ad campaigns.  Even if you were being nice to simply attract friends, that wouldnt make you a bad person, unless in the process you werent true to yourself.

It's sad that people are so skeptical nowdays that they cannot accept simple human kindness as it is.

--------------------

Offlinemoogle

#1990776 - 10/08/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Is treating people nice for the sake of my ego, or to gain friends for my own social and emotional security, or any other reasons other than being completely selfless the same?

It's common sense; you are investing 'good vibrations' into people -- the simplest courtesies or acts of kindness require so little effort, yet are capable of engendering so many beneficial relationships and friendships that to act rudely in normal social situations would seem completely absurd. Acts of kindness tend to reciprocate the same, while acts of rudeness tend to return further acts of rudeness -- you reap what you sow. Recently, I've been thoroughly grappling with the concepts of good and evil, and have come up with a few conclusions, some of which may or may not be fundamental truths:

Being 'evil' -- only interested in people as far as you can manipulate them for personal gain, screwing them over as much as you can get away with -- may for the short-term bring greater rewards, but you'll eventually run into a fish bigger than you and get chomped, while lacking fortune in family and friends that you could've earned by not screwing everyone over, such fortune arguably being worth more than any material possession. 'Good' people, to varying degrees, will invest themselves to the benefit of all, without or with little consideration to their own personal gain. To me taking the longer and more fruitful road is wiser, but I could perhaps simply be biased, as it is my own preference.

Societies with a preponderance of 'good' people will direct their energies for each other, outwards in a cumulative fashion, thereby increasing the net-magnitude of their influence (i know i sound weird now), while societies with a preponderance of 'evil' people will direct their energies against each other, trying to profit off each other and eventually achieving negation of these energies, thereby decreasing the ability of the society to impact/influence the world.

This effect is very easily observed by simply watching threads on various internet forums -- see how easily flaming and personal attacks/assaults turn the creative energies of the participants against each other, instead of towards the intellectual discourse that might have otherwise continued.

--------------------
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-- Herbert Spencer

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Doin it for the right reasons, wrong reasons or just doin it [Re: moogle]
    #1991197 - 10/08/03 09:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You may want to ask yourself if you get more enjoyment out of the act of helping or the praise you get from the act.

If you are a good person, then I think you'd know it. Maybe your ego is involved, but if you are a good person inside, what's really wrong with patting yourself on the back once in a while? A friend of mine said this to me when I asked him about the same subject, "hey man don't question a good deed done by a good person." I shut up after that one :smile:

Again though, you may say its your ego for self gain, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you enjoy helping others just for the sake of helping everyone. and if that's the case, don't even question it, go with the flow :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology