Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

q regarding PC'in jars
    #1989453 - 10/08/03 10:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Do you cover your jars when you pressure cook them? does the substrate dry out or get to wet if you dont cover the jars? a freind just pc'd 24 jars and didnt cover them, he opened one to see if it was wet, but the verm on top was bone dry. he was thinking the jars might be too dry ?? should he encounter any problems from not covering the jars with foil or tape?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: q regarding PC'in jars [Re: fresh313]
    #1989489 - 10/08/03 10:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, but you didn?t understand what the pressure cooking is for.
I suggest you to reread your teks, there is still much theoretical work to do.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: q regarding PC'in jars [Re: Anno]
    #1990815 - 10/08/03 07:24 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The pressure cooker is to sterilize the jars by heating them using pressure. Since there is water inside the jars, and holes on the top of the jars (for inoculation), would water escape from from substrate therefore changing the PF max fruiting formula. Or would water enter through these holes and change the PF formula.

Invisiblepuggymalone
just looking forlove

#1990896 - 10/08/03 07:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quick one. since the water in the jars should have a slightly lower temperature then the water on the bottom of the pressure cooker, and the water on the bottom is at saturation temperature, the stuff in the jars should not change phase. The jars might condense some steam as it cools, but I am not sure of the magnitude of this effect. When you take the jars out of the PC you are exposing them to outside (uncontrolled) air with contaminants in it. Now with foil over the holes on the lid, it is unlikely that any contaminants will enter the freshly sterilized substrate. But if you did not have the foil covering the holes, the substrate could be subject to contamination.

Good luck, most would say just read the FAQ, and this is probably your best bet. Don't take offence to it, it is just the right of passage. Through trail and error you will learn more then you ever could reading or asking questions. Grab a six pack, do some spring cleaning. Sterilize the shit out of your entire house. Then start experimenting.

Love from the west coast  :cool: ( I got me a bottle of my favorite Riesling::))
puggy

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: q regarding PC'in jars [Re: puggymalone]
    #1991067 - 10/08/03 09:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thanks pug, if you could find the awnser to this question in the FAQ or in the teks id be surprised since i read them about 100 times. also my buddy put a layer of tin foil between the substrate and dry verm, so it would be doubtful if any contams could get into the substrate since there are no holes. at least thats his theory. hes a noob

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #1991387 - 10/08/03 10:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Absolutely put foil on 'em.

BTW, they should be predilled, which is the main reason for covering.  Even if you have a foil barrier below, you don't want the dry verm to become wet verm.  It will act as a wick and not a contam barrier.

Leave them in the PC until you inoculate, and leave the foil on until birthing, only removing it briefly to shoot 'em up.

Works every time!  :wink:

peace and pizza,
Ben

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: q regarding PC'in jars [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #1991405 - 10/08/03 11:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

great, thanks ben! i hope these jars dont contam

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #1991563 - 10/09/03 12:08 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

No problemo, fresh.

Oh, forgot to mention:  don't open your PC'd jars for anything unless in a glovebox or under a flow.

It will take some hit and missand some time, but soon you will be able to eyeball 'em (through the glass) and know they're right moisturewise.

Another idea for future ref is when doing a lot of jars (24 is a lot) just shoot a couple and watch 'em for germination, contams, colonization speed and whatnot if you're not 100% sure they're correct.  The others will keep a long time if the foil's on and they're stored somewhere fairly clean.

If you determine there's a moisture/recipe problem, you can adjust the substrate and just re-sterilize a few until you get it right.

brf/verm doesn't have to be all that exact.  Moisture variations will slow colonization, but almost anything close works in time.  Of course, bone dry and swamp soggy ain't gonna get it.

Faster is definitely better, though, as you want the myc to get the first foothold on the nutes.

Good luck, dood  :mushroom2: :cool:

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation