Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Loc: space Flag
Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub
    #19888860 - 04/23/14 05:10 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

So i'm in the process of getting ready for my first bulk in a pretty large tub and i wanted to gather some insight on pros/cons from some people with more experience under their belts.

I have 10 quart jars of WBS, 5 inoculated with Golden Teacher and 5 with Penis Envy, and I will be using coir/verm as the sub with a 50/50+ casing. the tub i have prepared is 90 quart with four 1.75" holes on each long side in locations specified roughly according to Frank's monotub tek. i already have the recipes for the sub and casing adjusted a bit to suit my large tub while still maintaining proper moisture ratios and pH levels, so no issues there.

i was too lazy to take the shit out for one pic, use your imagination :kingtard:

but i do have a few questions:
i was originally thinking that i could spawn both varieties of cubes into the same tub, but after having done more research i think i'd rather only spawn one variety to my tub this time, and use the variety that colonizes the grains more slowly as masters to inoculate LC, agar, g2g jars, mini bulk trays, etc. does anyone have other suggestions on this aspect of my bulk attempt to this large of a tub with a somewhat limited number of quart jars?

also, i didn't think of this at all until i had already prepared my tub with holes, but standard large trash bags wont work as a liner for my tubs. what are some other good options for making a liner that will make clean up easy and prevent side/bottom-pinning?

lastly, should i even use a liner at all? i've read some posts about people having much larger yields without a liner because it dramatically increases the substrates surface area without increasing the effort output during harvest much at all. just looking for some first hand experience with this debate because it seems to be an issue of much debate.

thanks for the help, love this site

--------------------
"And on the last day, God purchased RogerRabbit's DVD set, and learned to grow mushrooms. And it was good."
-Shroomesis 4:20

:supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom: :kingtard::supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom:
                                  :poison: MushroomWizard420 :poison:
                                              :shroomin:

The spirit of the forest watches over his children as they grow...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: MushroomWizard420]
    #19888951 - 04/23/14 05:31 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

i will never NOT use a liner again.  every time i omit it i regret it, but i have also seen ppl do really well w/o them :shrug:
painters plastic, sold in rolls at hardware store or target/walmart should work.

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #19888965 - 04/23/14 05:33 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Don't spawn them together. 5 quarts of spawn would not be much for a 90 qt tub. You'd need a pretty low spawn ratio for that to work.

Why the hell would you use your slowest jar for expansion? Use the fastest one. And don't fuck with LC, it's a waste of time.
Using liners doesn't lower your yield though. It just makes all the mushrooms grow on top. Picking side pins is a decent bit more work come harvest time, and they tend to tear up your sub more than fruits cut from the top.

That being said, I don't use liners. It's just one less thing I have to keep buying.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlineshaymisco
Stranger

Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19889305 - 04/23/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:whathesaid: With the exception that I would never not use a liner the little bit of work pays off huge at harvest time.

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: shaymisco]
    #19889981 - 04/23/14 08:51 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I use 105qt tubs and a standard trash bag will work fine, just split it in half.

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: maddchef]
    #19890347 - 04/23/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

maddchef said:
I use 105qt tubs and a standard trash bag will work fine, just split it in half.

There's no such thing as a "standard" trash bag.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
    #19890417 - 04/23/14 10:15 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

liners are a godsend if you plan on doing multiple monotubs,  i HATED spending an hour or two picking side/bottom pins on a 10 tub grow.

if you are only doing 1 or 2 tubs then i guess its no big deal

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: twistedty]
    #19890432 - 04/23/14 10:18 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
liners are a godsend if you plan on doing multiple monotubs,  i HATED spending an hour or two picking side/bottom pins on a 10 tub grow.

I try to do more than that in a batch when I can. It's really not that bad, honestly. I just take another tub, put it inside my mono then flip the whole thing. The sub sits on the bottom outside of the one I used to flip it.

Cut the side pins off with your scissors, flip it back into your FC and get on with it.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#19890465 - 04/23/14 10:24 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Quote:

twistedty said:

I try to do more than that in a batch when I can. It's really not that bad, honestly. I just take another tub, put it inside my mono then flip the whole thing. The sub sits on the bottom outside of the one I used to flip it.

Cut the side pins off with your scissors, flip it back into your FC and get on with it.

ya thats what i did as well, just fell in love with the liners though.  to each his own in this hobby :wink:

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19890620 - 04/23/14 11:01 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Don't spawn them together. 5 quarts of spawn would not be much for a 90 qt tub. You'd need a pretty low spawn ratio for that to work.

Why the hell would you use your slowest jar for expansion? Use the fastest one. And don't fuck with LC, it's a waste of time.
Using liners doesn't lower your yield though. It just makes all the mushrooms grow on top. Picking side pins is a decent bit more work come harvest time, and they tend to tear up your sub more than fruits cut from the top.

That being said, I don't use liners. It's just one less thing I have to keep buying.

obviously it would be more ideal to expand with the jars colonizing faster, but i want to get this bulk spawn going asap. honestly i'm just being impatient because i want to immerse myself in many of the teks used in this hobby, but i'll ignore my impulsivity and do whats best in the long run.

how's this idea sound:
1) five slower colonizers (probably PE)
-use first jar to fully colonize to knock up some agar dishes, one of the large .2 micron filter patch bags i just ordered (never used bags so i want to try a 1 tub attempt with each variety before i try multiple bags/tubs), and LC if i'm lucky
-use other 4 jars for two 13"x6"x2" cake pan mini bulk trays with a simple 50/50 coir/verm sub and 2 quarts of spawn each, colonize 100%, put in SGFC

2) five faster colonizers (probably GT)
-use first jar to reach 100% to knock up agar, a second filter patch bag, and LC
-use second and third jars to reach 100% colonization as masters and G2G to 4 jars each
-save remaining 2 jars until the 8 jars knocked up through G2G are 100% colonized and spawn to bulk tub (10 quart grain jars total)

if this plan seems feasible then at most i will have 3 tubs going at once and they'll be staggered a bit assuming theoretical colonization speed is consistent with the masters used to inoculate the G2G jars. the second and third tubs would definitely be more of a standard monotub size (around 66qt) so i can follow a trusted tek more closely. i'm gonna try it without a liner because if i start with bulk this way and make it work then i'll never feel the need to purchase or mess with liners to begin with. the mini bulk trays are simple enough so i'm not even worrying about them in comparison to my decisions with the tubs

any comments?

--------------------
"And on the last day, God purchased RogerRabbit's DVD set, and learned to grow mushrooms. And it was good."

:supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom: :kingtard::supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom:

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19891398 - 04/24/14 03:37 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

sounds good.  if u are doing three tubs, do at least one with a liner, i bet u will see a difference, and make ur own choice.
id also stretch a qt to six jars, that still only makes u wait like 6 days before 100%.  and with ur GT, u can spawn those extra 2 jars to a tray, like u r with PE, and not need them to get to ten total in the end, u will have 12 if each donor goes to 6 more.

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: blindingleaf]
    #19893532 - 04/24/14 02:49 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
sounds good.  if u are doing three tubs, do at least one with a liner, i bet u will see a difference, and make ur own choice.
id also stretch a qt to six jars, that still only makes u wait like 6 days before 100%.  and with ur GT, u can spawn those extra 2 jars to a tray, like u r with PE, and not need them to get to ten total in the end, u will have 12 if each donor goes to 6 more.

aight that sounds like a solid plan, ill do one of the same size tubs with a liner and 1 without for the purposes of comparison, with all other variables controlled, and compared total dry harvest weights.
and i like the idea of using the last 2 jars for another tray to keep me busy during the colonization period of the G2G jars. if it doesn't slow colonization down much then why not stretch the masters as far as they can comfortably go so i have more grains to spawn with later?

thanks for the suggestions

--------------------

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19893538 - 04/24/14 02:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

1 qt jar to six is pretty standard i think?  1 qt to four, u would have trouble shaking i'd think unless u filled the receivers really low.

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19893548 - 04/24/14 02:52 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
1 qt jar to six is pretty standard i think?  1 qt to four, u would have trouble shaking i'd think unless u filled the receivers really low.

receivers are at like 2/3 so that's something i didn't even consider. it might actually slow down colonization by only G2Ging to 4 if i wasn't able to properly distribute the myc during the shake. very helpful point

--------------------

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#19893757 - 04/24/14 03:31 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

in theory one kernel of colonized grain would do a whole jar.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19893826 - 04/24/14 03:43 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:

boil up some mountain dew!!  its gonna be a loooooooong night

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#19893829 - 04/24/14 03:43 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
Quote:

twistedty said:

boil up some mountain dew!!  its gonna be a loooooooong night

:rofl:

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
    #19893849 - 04/24/14 03:47 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

One very important tip I learned the hard way is do not fill your fucking jars up.

It makes a 15min task turn into an hour and a sore jack off arm.

Make sure when prepping grain to keep in mind if those jars will be receiving g2g, syringe, agar, etc.

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#19893860 - 04/24/14 03:51 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

maddchef said:
One very important tip I learned the hard way is do not fill your fucking jars up.

Make sure when prepping grain to keep in mind if those jars will be receiving g2g, syringe, agar, etc.

:nodofunderstanding:

i did fill my masters up pretty full for a wedge, and about 2/3 on the slaves

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19894324 - 04/24/14 05:16 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

maddchef said:

Lol true story. All my jars right now are at 2/3 except for 2 masters at 3/4.

--------------------

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #19895283 - 04/24/14 08:31 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Going grain to agar is moving backward. LC is a waste of time.

I would take my fastest PE and my fastest GT and G2G each of them out.

Take the rest of the jars and just do a couple normal monotubs. Using 4 quarts of grain instead of 5 isn't gonna hurt.

Once you get fruits, clone one of each to agar then go from there.

You're trying to do shit all kinds of backwards and inefficiently.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

Offlinebongjuice420
Mister Man
 User Gallery

#19895374 - 04/24/14 08:56 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Good Thread! Keep us posted

--------------------
All communications from this Online ID are for a fiction action book. These communications are for research purposes only and there are no intentions on implementing anything pertaining to these communications on or off this website.

GT - Monotub / Time-Lapse
How to store mushrooms long/short-term properly - TEK
Golden Teacher Time-Lapse Mono-Tub

:mxe::sporedrop: :pantytail:  :nicesmile:  :chalkup:  :sexymeow:

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19895381 - 04/24/14 08:57 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Going grain to agar is moving backward. LC is a waste of time.

I would take my fastest PE and my fastest GT and G2G each of them out.

Take the rest of the jars and just do a couple normal monotubs. Using 4 quarts of grain instead of 5 isn't gonna hurt.

Once you get fruits, clone one of each to agar then go from there.

You're trying to do shit all kinds of backwards and inefficiently.

im just still working with the mentality that LC is the easiest way to store a large amount of mycelium to continue the cycle with. You think it's ultimately better overall to just G2G my jars  to prepare a good spawn, then collect prints of PE and GT from fruits showing strong genetics, and use those for agar and G2G, and just ignore LC altogether?

Why shouldn't I make LC with an agar wedge after I have totally isolated genetically potent mycelium to a monoculture for future use? I understand LC is not as reliable, but I can always test the LC on agar before inoculating master grain jars right?

I guess I just don't see why you are so opposed to LC, or if it's just that you're opposed to someone of my experience jumping into LC? If it's the latter please say so, i just want clarity. I won't get butthurt lol.

--------------------

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #19895668 - 04/24/14 09:56 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

LC is just pointless, really. By the time you grow it out and test it you could have done 2-3 generations of jars, wich would end up being a few hundred for me since I do 15-20 jars from each master.

Then every time you use your LC you have to test it again.

It's a big-ass jar to keep in your fridge instead of a slant or 2.

You have to do agar anyway.

There's just no reason for it.

Don't collect prints of the best fruits, take a clone, isolate from there and test each isolate to find the best one. First off, good luck getting PE prints, second the only reason we don't trade cultures is because we can't legally.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19896104 - 04/24/14 11:23 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

aight that makes sense, i'll take a clone off some solid fruits of each and go from there, and i'm definitely gonna make a print of GT and try my best to get one of PE, but i get why it will present challenges.

the only thing i don't necessarily agree with that you said is taking a clone instead of taking prints, because i'd like to get into trading soon, not to mention having a spore print means i can take a break from cultivation whenever and still have spores to start it up again whenever i like.

thanks for another explanation though.

--------------------

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #19896359 - 04/25/14 12:25 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Well you can take prints too, but I would pick your best fruit, clone it then print the rest. You don't wanna use a stem that you've cut the cap off of for a clone.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19896392 - 04/25/14 12:34 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Well you can take prints too, but I would pick your best fruit, clone it then print the rest. You don't wanna use a stem that you've cut the cap off of for a clone.

why is that? does the mycelium within the stem become less active or "die" after you remove the cap?

--------------------

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #19898278 - 04/25/14 12:36 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The stem is hollow, and opening it up like that is a vector where contams might get in. The base where you cut it should be solid so this doesn't happen.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

Offlinebongjuice420
Mister Man
 User Gallery

#19898367 - 04/25/14 12:56 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I was going to experement with LC a while back. But after researching it, although it would be a funny side project hobby, would take longer to get jars spawned then if I had used agar.

I believe you should look at agar. Its simpler, but most importantly it takes less time to knock up jars with agar than it does with LC.

Also, have you decided how you will proceed with your 105qt tub. I just spawned my Golden Teachers to a 27qt monotub plus doing a Golden Teacher G2G in preparation for a 66qt tub.

Check my journal if you got questions about monotubs or golden teachers!

--------------------
All communications from this Online ID are for a fiction action book. These communications are for research purposes only and there are no intentions on implementing anything pertaining to these communications on or off this website.

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: bongjuice420]
    #19898834 - 04/25/14 02:35 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

yea im gonna be using the fastest colonizers of each variety to make more agar dishes and knock up a spawn bag. gonna use 2 next fastest colonizers of only the faster variety to G2G to 6 additional jars each, and then use the last 2 jars to finish colonization of the quicker variety for some mini bulk trays. once the slave jars are finished colonizing i'll be using 8 for spawn in the 90qt tub and the remaining 4 for a 66qt mono.

for the slower colonizing variety, after using the fastest of its jars to make agar and a spawn bag, i'll be using the rest of the jars to set up a smaller monotub, around 66qt.

summary:
1) faster variety
-1 jar for agar and spawn bag, bag to 66qt mono
-2 jars for a mini bulk tray each
-2 jars for G2G x6 each = 12 slaves
    -8 slaves to 90qt mono
    -4 slaves to 66qt mono
2) slower variety
-1 jar for agar and spawn bag, bag to 66qt mono
-4 jars to 66qt mono

total:
-1 90qt monotub with 8qt spawn
-4 66qt monotubs
    -2 with spawn bags
    -2 with 4qt of spawn
-2 mini bulk trays with 1qt of spawn each

this project expanded quite a bit from its original plan, but assuming i continue to prepare the grains properly and practice proper sterile techniques when performing G2G transfers it should continue to go smoothly.

--------------------

Offlinebongjuice420
Mister Man
 User Gallery

#19898913 - 04/25/14 02:49 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Personally, what I'm doing, may help you. And what your doing may help myself. Although, I've researched a ton about this hobby, I'm still a noobie and havent actually had results doing anything. So if a Trusted Cultivator comes in and knocks down what I'm saying... listen to them.

However, depending on how many jars you have. I would spawn them to bulk and leave a master jar to do a G2G with. Then use them to spawn to bulk again. While thats going on, take a good sample from a shroom and throw that in some agar. That should get you setup to have a continual harvest bro. Thats what I'm attempting to do ATM!

--------------------

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Re: Preparation for spawn to a 90qt monotub [Re: bongjuice420]
    #19898980 - 04/25/14 03:02 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bongjuice420 said:
Personally, what I'm doing, may help you. And what your doing may help myself. Although, I've researched a ton about this hobby, I'm still a noobie and havent actually had results doing anything. So if a Trusted Cultivator comes in and knocks down what I'm saying... listen to them.

However, depending on how many jars you have. I would spawn them to bulk and leave a master jar to do a G2G with. Then use them to spawn to bulk again. While thats going on, take a good sample from a shroom and throw that in some agar. That should get you setup to have a continual harvest bro. Thats what I'm attempting to do ATM!

that's basically what i'm going for but i'g getting some agar going asap, and i'm also getting several tubs and trays going so i can learn about different methods and sizes of cultivation teks all at once.

it might not be normal for people to immerse themselves in so many different vectors of cultivation at once but i really like to be able to compare things side by side. i'm a highly visual learner so i think this experience will help with my teks a lot.

i've been following your thread too and i think we're approaching very similar grows in very similar ways so we should definitely continue to exchange progress reports to see what works well and where we each could ahve improved :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale