Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Most likely agaricus..?
    #1987374 - 10/07/03 06:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Its been raining nicely here in GA and i went out in my yard and found 2-4 of what I have discovered to be agaricus (smells alot like store bought ones) It has pinkish gills its very white and almost ball shaped (not completely formed just opening up) If it is agaricus any guesses on sub species? (think thats the right wording) Thanks!
Sorry dont have the stem but it was slightly bulbed out near the base.. oh and the scanner kinda squished it lol

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Most likely agaricus..? [Re: Grogan]
    #1987395 - 10/07/03 06:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hard to tell, but it looks like it. Species is nearly impossible to tell from this picture. How big is it - also can't tell from photo, and did it turn yellow on the stem or in the cap after your scanner mushed it? I doubt anyone would go out on a limb to identify it from that information, but it would help narrow it down.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Most likely agaricus..? [Re: Werecat]
    #1987458 - 10/07/03 06:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Agaricus species are very tough to ID sometimes and some can make you sick, so make sure you know what it is if you intend on eating it...

My first guess would be Agaricus campestris, the meadow mushroom, I see them in yards pretty often up here... Got any pics of the top of the cap?

DH

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Most likely agaricus..? [Re: Grogan]
    #1987498 - 10/07/03 07:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If it resembles the ones you buy at teh grocery store, then it's probably an Agaricus.

Take a fresh one, cut it in half vertically, and scrape the inside with your knife edge to bruise it. Color changes from bruising can take up to an hour. Watch for a couple minutes, then check in an hour, and let us know what colors it turns.

Smell the mushroom, especially near the top and bottom of the stem. If you don't get much smell, try crushing the base of the stem with your fingers and sniffing again.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Most likely agaricus..? [Re: spores]
    #1987772 - 10/07/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i can tell you for sure its edible. the only poison agaricus that looks anything like that has much lighter gills in the button stage.
(Agaricus xanthoderma)
it would also stain yellow and have an off taste and smell, certainly nothing you would easily consume.

id also say Agaricus campestris. so common this time of year, the cap is often scaly and grey, sometimes smoother.

Agaricus arvensis (horse agaric) is usually the goal when the aformentioned "yellow stainer" mushroom is mistakingly consumed.

really, only older pecimines of the yellow stainer are a concern, the button stage has white or yellowy gills, not regular agaric pink.

i also find that yellow stainers sap all the surrounding nutrients, leaving running bare spots on lawns

--------------------

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: Most likely agaricus..? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1988523 - 10/07/03 11:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Very cool of you guys. It was prolly about 2-2.5 inches wide the cap that is, the stem is about 1cm or 10 mm across.. No it didn't stain yellow .. thanks

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification