Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Mother convicted in son's suicide
    #1987065 - 10/07/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Article

A woman was convicted Monday of contributing to the suicide of her 12-year-old son, who hanged himself in his closet with a necktie after being picked on for months at school over his bad breath and body odor.

Judith Scruggs, 52, was found guilty of one count of risk of injury to a minor for creating a filthy home that prosecutors said prevented J. Daniel Scruggs from improving his hygiene. She faces up to 10 years in prison when she is sentenced next month.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Mother convicted in son's suicide [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1987124 - 10/07/03 04:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is a ridiculous (but excellent) example of the "problem of too much law" in the American legal system. If it was in fact her home which impeded her son's hygeine and ability to cope with his situation, then Judith will carry the tragic consequences on her shoulders for the rest of her life. There is certainly no need to hold her legally responsible, or busy the courts in this way.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Mother convicted in son's suicide [Re: Ped]
    #1987149 - 10/07/03 04:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
Re: Mother convicted in son's suicide [Re: Ped]
    #1987152 - 10/07/03 04:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That's pretty much my take on it as well.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1987335 - 10/07/03 05:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If you think that's fucked up, read this one:
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wbur/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=553713
Quote:

Top Court Rejects Baby Death Conviction Appeal
(2003-10-06)

By James Vicini

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court rejected on Monday an appeal by a South Carolina woman convicted of homicide and sentenced to 12 years in prison for causing her baby to be stillborn by using cocaine.

The high court refused to review an appeal by Regina McKnight who challenged the constitutionality of the South Carolina law and argued her sentence amounted to unconstitutional cruel and unusual punishment.

McKnight, a cocaine addict, gave birth in 1999 to a stillborn, 5-pound baby girl. Her pregnancy was estimated to have lasted between 34 and 37 weeks. McKnight's urine sample tested positive for cocaine, and an autopsy of the baby revealed cocaine metabolites.

Prosecutors said McKnight had been responsible for her daughter's death because she used crack cocaine even though she knew it could kill her fetus.

She was convicted under a law her attorney's said was unique to South Carolina which makes it a crime to cause the death of a child under the age of 11 while committing abuse or neglect if the death occurs under circumstances manifesting "an extreme indifference to human life."

A sharply divided South Carolina Supreme Court had upheld her conviction and sentence.

In the appeal, McKnight's lawyers said no other court in the nation had upheld a conviction of a pregnant woman under any general criminal statute on the premise that her conduct caused harm to her fetus. They also argued that the law was too vague and violated due process rights.

The lawyers said the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment does not allow a court to punish a pregnant woman as a murderer based on a finding that her conduct contributed to a stillbirth.

National and South Carolina associations of physicians, nurses, counselors, social workers and public health practitioners supported McKnight's appeal.

They warned the South Carolina law could be applied to pregnant women who suffer a stillbirth if they have smoked cigarettes or worked in a factory with a danger of exposure to hazardous waste.

South Carolina Attorney General Henry McMaster said the appeal should be rejected. "This is not simply a case involving a tragic stillbirth that occurred through no fault of the mother," he said.

While I understand that this was a tragic thing to happen, I think it sets a dangerous precedent. Shall we now investigate all stillbirths and jail any women who drank, or smoked, or excercised etc... while pregnant?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Anonymous

#1987448 - 10/07/03 06:37 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"A woman was convicted Monday of contributing to the suicide of her 12-year-old son, who hanged himself in his closet with a necktie after being picked on for months at school over his bad breath and body odor.

Judith Scruggs, 52, was found guilty of one count of risk of injury to a minor for creating a filthy home that prosecutors said prevented J. Daniel Scruggs from improving his hygiene. She faces up to 10 years in prison when she is sentenced next month. "

that's just ridiculous. i wonder if they're going to lock up the kids that made fun of him too...

what the hell is going on in this country?

...that cocaine one is fucked up too.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion