Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineElSeed
Champion OfPlants

Question about Poor Man's Pod
    #1986981 - 10/07/03 03:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking about making a Poor Man's pod and doing BRF cakes
My question is about the medium in the pod

Has anyone ever tried potassium polycrylate/polyacrylamide copolymer which is sold by Schultz as Moisture Plus? Basically it's these crystals that when you add water to them they expand into pieces of gel. Over time the crystals release the water. If you keep adding water they can be used for a long time.

I have perlite and vermiculite but hadn't seen anything written about the crystals. I was thinking about geolite (which i could also use for orchids) but it seems kind of expensive(espicially to ship).

So should i use perlite, vermiculite, or the water crystals?

Also if I use one of those should I still get 2 air stones? I wasn't going to use a humidifier.

One last thing: When doing dunk 'n roll should you just add water to the original jars and put them in the fridge? I read some dunk teks but on magash's pk post he had the jars in the fridge. And when you take them out should you roll them in verm all over or just the sides?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: ElSeed]
    #1987151 - 10/07/03 04:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Offlineshroomstruck

Re: Question about Poor Man's Pod [Re: Tremor1127]
    #1987543 - 10/07/03 07:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My friend adds water with h202 and puts them in the fridge before birthing. After 24 hrs or so he takes them out and rolls them in a tupperware full of sterilized verm and throws em into the pod.
The flushes have been very nice!

He used the same jar to soak several cakes on their 2nd flush on sequential days without worrying about contams.
He would advise to remove all pins before redunking, some may resume growth, but some will rot too.

That moisture plus does sound intersting!
He also uses geolite/hydrotron. It was an excellent investment, though he hasn't had the need to add an air pump yet, so you should consult the man himself on that one!  :smile:

Edited by shroomstruck (10/07/03 07:17 PM)

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: Question about Poor Man's Pod [Re: Tremor1127]
    #1987583 - 10/07/03 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

geolite/hydroton/leca/expanded clay pellets (all the same) is worth it's weight in gold pretty much!!!! i first used perlite, it was cheap (good), raised humidity (good),was messy (bad), hard to tell how much water was the right amount in it(bad) which would make the cakes topple or sink (bad), couldn't put cakes directly on it (bad). so a quick analysis reveals 2 goods and 4 bads.

geolite/hydroton/leca/expanded clay pellets for comparisons sake was expensive (bad), raised humidity (good), was very clean to work with (good), could tell exactly how much water was in it(good) and cakes never topple (good), and you can put the cakes directly on it (good). so it gets FIVE goods and 1 bad. and the bad was only the price. but it also get a bonus for the myceliums reaction to it. it LOVES it!!!!!! it hugs it and sucks water from it, and my mycelium is about to elope with it.

anyway that's my opinion on the matter.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about Poor Man's Pod [Re: ElSeed]
    #1988788 - 10/08/03 01:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, I know a little something about plants.

and a little something about the pods.

The pod

The crystles will hold to much moisture and don?t like to give it up. The are designed to give plants water over a long period of time. Kind of the super verm. The thing is that they don?t like to give up the water and roots have to draw it from them. That is what makes them great for remote outdoor patches.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation