Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq
    #1986881 - 10/07/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What are American troops still doing over there? They're not trained to be peace-keepers, yet thats exactly what they're doing! They're just sitting ducks waiting to be shot at or blown up. Article taken from the NY Post.

Quote:

AWOL STATE OF MIND: CALLS FROM SOLDIERS DESPERATE TO LEAVE IRAQ FLOOD HOTLINE
By LEONARD GREENE
October 5, 2003 -- EXCLUSIVE

Morale among some war-weary GIs in Iraq is so low that a growing number of soldiers - including some now home on R&R - are researching the consequences of going AWOL, according to a leading support group.

The GI Rights Hotline, a national soldiers' support service, has logged a 75 percent increase in calls in the last 12 weeks, with more than 100 of those calls from soldiers, or people on their behalf, asking about the penalties associated with going AWOL - "absent without leave" - according to volunteers and staffers who man the service.

Many of the calls have come from soldiers who are among those now on the first wave of 15-day authorized leaves that began almost two weeks ago. Some hotline callers have indicated they may not return, staffers said.

"What would happen if I just don't go back" to Iraq, one soldier asked a worker at a GI support-line center.

"I'm going to shoot myself in the foot," said another, referring to his solution for getting home.

Some soldiers are so desperate that they have called directly from the war zone, contacting the hotline when they can get satellite-phone access or after waiting in line for hours in the desert for a military phone.

So worried is military brass about the prospect of desertion that many soldiers say they have been encouraged to take their leaves in Germany - a stopover - to avoid temptation stateside.

"The military is aware of how low troop morale is," said Teresa Panepinto, program coordinator of The GI Rights Hotline, a service that dates back to the Korean War. "They're concerned these people are going to come home and not go back."

Volunteers throughout the country take live calls and respond to messages left by soldiers who want to know their rights. One call base is in a small office in a building on Lafayette Street in the East Village.

Panepinto said monthly calls to the hotline have risen from 2,000 to 3,500 in the last three months.

She said many soldiers complained about the length of the Iraq campaign, the rough desert conditions and a U.S. death toll that has risen well above 300, including nearly 180 soldiers killed after President Bush's May 1 declaration that major combat operations in Iraq had ended.

Pentagon officials said they had no up-to-date numbers on soldiers who have gone AWOL since the Iraq campaign, but an affidavit that surfaced at a recent court martial for a soldier charged with desertion put the number at more than 50.

Most of those charged were reservists who were activated and did not report, said Steve Collier, a lawyer representing a soldier charged with desertion.

Penalties for going AWOL range from a bad-conduct discharge to a court martial and jail time.

Military officials maintain that morale remains high among soldiers, who are paid more in combat zones, and that authorized leaves are being granted as "an investment in readiness."

Maj. Pete Mitchell, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, said the military code of justice is a significant deterrent to unauthorized absences.

"There is a possibility that somebody would make that decision," Mitchell said. "We're going to extend good faith that people are going to make the right decisions here."

Like the GI Rights Hotline staffers, Manhattan resident Julie Garfield said she would never encourage her nephew, Aaron Garfield, to desert his posting as a reservist in Iraq.

But if he did, she would probably cry tears of joy, she said. Aaron, who has never indicated that going AWOL is an option for him, has been in Baghdad six months.

"If he went AWOL I wouldn't blame him," said his aunt, who has been the significant adult in his life.

"They ripped him away from his life and education. He spent nine months in Bosnia. It's enough already."

In recent e-mails, Aaron says soldier morale is low because reservists are forced to stay while active-duty troops are being allowed to leave, if only for two weeks.

"There is no morale here," he wrote his aunt. "The leadership just doesn't care about us. I don't want anything to do with this mess anymore."

Lt. Gen. James Helmly, chief of the 205,000-mem- ber Army Reserve, warned recently that there could be an exodus of active and reserve forces if the United States fails to get other countries to join the Iraq campaign.

Jos? Alvarez, an Army corporal now on duty in Iraq, has told his wife he will not re-enlist when his obligation ends next year.

He's angry that when his wife, Wendy, suffered a miscarriage recently, his unit refused to grant him an emergency leave.

"I'm definitely getting out," he wrote his wife. "To heck with the Army."

"He hates it and he's not re-enlisting," said Wendy from her home on a military base at Fort Hood, Texas. "He basically has given up."

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewingnutx

Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #1986939 - 10/07/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

100 calls from soldiers in a 12 week period?

Soldiers in all wars, on all sides, have deserted or gone awol. Human nature is unlikely to change any time soon, and soldiers live in shitty conditions.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: wingnutx]
    #1988753 - 10/07/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Can't remember much problem with morale after the Kuwait war tho. Clearly the situation being a complete and utter disaster is having an affect on morale.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: Xlea321]
    #1988768 - 10/07/03 11:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

dream on.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1988798 - 10/07/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like the soldiers disagree with you.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #1989396 - 10/08/03 07:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Complete and utter disaster

Your use of language is colourful but by no means accurate. The harshest word the soldier uses to describe the situation is mess ......

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1989557 - 10/08/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think people dying is a little more than a "mess".

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisiblewingnutx

#1989791 - 10/08/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

By your definition the invasion of Omaha Beach was a disaster.

And yes, there was the same whining from a minority of reservists in the First half of the Gulf War over a decade ago. Some who thought they could just get the benefits without ever having to actually do their job. It always happens and I'm sure it always will.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1989826 - 10/08/03 11:15 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think people dying is a little more than a "mess".

So by your own definition definition a little more than a mess is a complete and utter disaster..... lol

The situation is indeniably volatile but how one can describe it as a disaster is beyond me....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1990114 - 10/08/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thousands of dead civilians, thousands more dead iraqi conscripts, lawlessness, anarchy in the streets, oil pipelines on fire, no water, no power, american soldiers dying every day, terrorists bombing the UN, the UN pulling out for fear of attack. 

I'm sorry but "mess" just don't cut it does it. A mess is your teenage brother not tidying his bedroom  :smirk:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1990504 - 10/08/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

psst, powers back on....status raised back from disaster to 'mess'. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #1991267 - 10/08/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Thousands of dead civilians,

The bodies found in the many mass graves in iraqi were not killed by americans.

Quote:

thousands more dead iraqi conscripts,

It was expected that members of the opposing army would die, this happens in ever war.

Quote:

lawlessness, anarchy in the streets,

Excusing the actually short time directly after the war when iraqi really was an anarchy order has been restored to most parts of the country.

Quote:

oil pipelines on fire,

The Iraqi citizens or jihadis who do this are only making their cause seem more worthless. This situation is under control as after kuwait the american military gained a lot of experence in putting out these fires. And the oil that this wastes would have only been sold secretly to syria or turkey for money which saddam would have just hoarded for himself

Quote:

no water, no power,

There is more power being suppied in iraqi than there was previously. Water is also beign resolved but when terrorist blow up water mains it doesnt help.

Quote:

american soldiers dying every day,

Im not sure of the extact number of the people, but thousands of people die every year from choking on a hotdog. Shit happens and this is a situation which must occur to build a stable iraqi.

Quote:

I'm sorry but "mess" just don't cut it does it. A mess is your teenage brother not tidying his bedroom  :smirk: 

The matters concerning iraqi are currently under control and are getting better every day. It is messy but it is certainly not a disaster.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1991748 - 10/08/03 11:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The matters concerning iraqi are currently under control and are getting better every day

Ok. Thanks for letting us know :rolleyes:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: d33p]
    #1992237 - 10/09/03 02:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Im not sure of the extact number of the people, but thousands of people die every year from choking on a hotdog.

Shhhhhh !!!

Don't tell him that. Now he'll be calling for a ban on "Assault Weiners".

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1992833 - 10/09/03 09:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

But do they Baby? Do "thousands die from choking on hot dogs"? You sure you and dp havn't just pulled that figure out of your nearest orifice?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1992901 - 10/09/03 10:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps they got it from the same orifice you get your melodramatic statements from.....

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1993224 - 10/09/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

How saucy of you stoned...

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1993809 - 10/09/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

st0nedphucker said:
Perhaps they got it from the same orifice you get your melodramatic statements from.....

Funny, yet incredibly accurate.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1993821 - 10/09/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i like how you all atack alex instead of the issues.....weak. I guess this is a touchy spot for you americans... :smirk:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblewingnutx

#1994252 - 10/09/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No, we've been attacking his outlandish statements.

'melodramatic' is not a bad description.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1994317 - 10/09/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks. I'm surprised it was necessary to explain that.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1995717 - 10/09/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm still waiting for evidence to show thousands of people die from hot-dogs.

I've provided evidence of why Iraq can be considered a complete and utter disaster. Where is your evidence about the hot-dogs?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1995720 - 10/09/03 11:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i like how you all atack alex instead of the issues.....weak. I guess this is a touchy spot for you americans...

Very touchy by the sound of it Az..

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1995732 - 10/09/03 11:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's cute how you get all caught up on the mootest of points.

As for the Americans dieing in Iraq I believe the word is "unconcerned".

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1995741 - 10/09/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

And I think it's cute how you make a point about thousands dying from hot-dogs and then go very quiet when I call you on it.

Thousands don't die from choking on hot-dogs do they.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1995747 - 10/09/03 11:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

care to quote me on when I said that?

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1995754 - 10/09/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

From the first page:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1995796 - 10/10/03 12:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nowhere in that quote did I attempt to confirm the facts he presented.

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1996099 - 10/10/03 03:01 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
From the first page:

It was a joke Alpo. Seems humor AND facts are beyond you.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: American Soldiers Desperate to Leave Iraq [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1996573 - 10/10/03 09:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well one things certain luv - making a post on topic rather than tiresome flames is clearly beyond you.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1996915 - 10/10/03 11:38 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

May I direct your attention back to D33p's post he argued your "points" and except for your one sarcastic comment you did nothing to respond.....

Quote:

But do they Baby? Do "thousands die from choking on hot dogs"? You sure you and dp havn't just pulled that figure out of your nearest orifice?

It would seem you were the one that took this thread off topic by demanding Baby Hitler substantiate his joke with statistical information.... some great political insights there Alex keep up the good work :P

--------------------

Edited by st0nedphucker (10/10/03 11:39 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1997698 - 10/10/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Well one things certain luv - making a post on topic rather than tiresome flames is clearly beyond you.

One comment and then I'll let you slide even if you say something as stupid as that again....

how many examples of you drifting off topic and responding with one-liners would you like me to paste here for you?

And I'd rather be off topic than disingenuous.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck