Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
This sucks
    #1984470 - 10/06/03 07:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've been depressed for about as long as i can remember, but ive never really understood why. Over the past few years ive been on 2 different sets of antidepressants which had only a mild numbing effect and seen 2 shrinks, all of which really didn't help that much.
One minute I can feel happy and then suddenly it just feels as though I plummet and suddenly feel like shit.

I over analyse almost anything that could possibly be analysed which more often than not just ruins things.

I've spoken to my friends on the odd occasion about how I feel but it either seems that they haven't been paying that much attention(or weve got side tracked) or i havent been in the mood to talk about it but have implied im not happy.

I can't really stand this perpetual cycle of feeling good in short bursts then feeling bad again. At the time I first saw the doctors I was diagnosed with anxiety too, that didn't seem like too much of a problem when I was taking medication but know I can feel hideously sick before going to a party or event where there is a fair amount of people I dont know.

It's crossed my mind a few times that I might actually make myself unhappy just so I can think im depressed, but im not really sure how that would work because I dont go on about it and almost always tell my friends im good when really im not

Anyway does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to improve my mood

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleflatline
psycho + logical

Re: This sucks [Re: Oook]
    #1984488 - 10/06/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i can relate to pretty much all the things you've listed ... problemwise and drug/doctor wise.

there are little things you can do to make yourself better that i've tried to incorporate into my everyday life ...
just to list a few:
keep a journal
go for a walk
read a book
take a shower

there's more things you can think of. the most important thing i believe is getting out. me, i sit in my room most of the day unless i have class. so it's refreshing to get out of your room and just walk around ... it always makes me feel better. find a cool spot near where you live that you can go to and just think about life.

i hope that helps ... just try to stay busy so your mind doesn't have time to play tricks on you

OfflineDiZzy
Dont know JackShit
Loc: uk
Re: This sucks [Re: flatline]
    #1984687 - 10/06/03 08:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Get yaself a new hobby ;-) like gardening fine weeds or sumet
then chill on the harvest :-)
x DiZzy x

--------------------
Live & Let Live --- Fairly take & Fairly give :-P

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1984751 - 10/06/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

As the others said, making time to do things you enjoy on a regular basis is a good idea. A book called 'learned optimism' by a famous psychologist Martin Seligman is very good if you are ruminating a lot. Ruminating is one of the worst things for maintaining depression and this book has powerful strategies to stop ruminating and lift your depression. Exercise is good for stress relief. Sometimes it takes a few goes to find the right medication but check this table out. Good luck.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: This sucks [Re: enotake2]
    #1987270 - 10/07/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the responses, im really not keen on going back on medication. I'll have to get hold of a copy of that book enotake2.
I do Kung fu every week which is bloody hard work, normally i feel great after going but sometimes I still feel shit. Im interested in learing Chi Kung because that is meant to be able to sort out almost any problem.

hehe i have no problems just thinking about life, if only i actually did some work.

I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but I used to cut myself when things got me down, but i realised that it was bullshit and just looped back round to feeling bad once the initial rush fades.
The thing is when I feel bad I still imagine being all cut up but have no urge to do it as I know its one of the worst coping mechanisms there is.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1988095 - 10/07/03 10:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That cutting up response is sometimes associated with past abuse. Not always, but if that is the case for you, trauma can be effectively treated with counselling by someone trained in PTSD. Trauma is one of the hardest things for people to get motivated to get counselling for because it is hard to talk about - but talking is what helps so you just have to build up the courage somehow. Also, trauma is associated with depression and anxiety and if trauma is the problem, it may be at the root. Those other things I suggested will still be useful as they are all used in treating trauma too, including the strategies taught in that book. Though talking about traumas is very important. Unless you have blacked out a period of your life in which case digging it up can do more harm that good. Anyway, I don't know if you have had a trauma so just ignore this if you haven't!

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: This sucks [Re: enotake2]
    #1990661 - 10/08/03 06:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Enotake2 fuck no! my parents have lightly smacked me on maybe 2 or 3 occasions in my entire life and that was for being a little bastard.
I can honestly say my parents have not ever abused me in any way shape of form.

I reckon its either my mindset or I just secretly enjoy making myself miserable :S

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being