Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePNWmushman
newguy

Loc: Seattle, WA
Cyan's VS Deadlies
    #1984404 - 10/06/03 06:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm new to this, and am hunting cyans in the northwest. I have a question that I have not found a satisfactory answer to in the fax or guides... I am trying to find a reasonably sure way to tell between deadly galarina species and Cyans besides sporeprint. Generally, pictures of cyans seem more wavy (right?), but I've seen pictures of exceptions of both species that look like each other. In many guides, it seems that they are almost identical considering possible variation among mushshrooms. Also, the spore print color seems kind of qualitative - (brown rust vs brown purplish.) Is the blue brusing, print, and wavyness enough ID to trust one enough to eat? I wondered if there was a list of things I could check so I could be sure I am eating the right thing. By the way- is there a test (chemical or otherwise) that can test for posison in mushrooms (like the metol test for psy.)?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: PNWmushman]
    #1984425 - 10/06/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

There are comparison photos of Galerina species and P. cyanescens and p. stuntzii at my site at:

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species.html

Click on poisonous mushrooms in the intro and it will open the page for you.

There are more than 25oo photos on that site, most of them covering 55 species of psilocybian mushrooms and some look-a-likes

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1984429 - 10/06/03 06:48 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

P.s. P. cyanescens stems are pure white and blue extremely well when damaged and may already have some bluing in them naturally.

They have chocolate brown to purple brown spore deposits and colors.

Galerinas have a rusty orange to cinnamon orange colored stems with a ring on them which is orange or whitish orange. That is their main difference.

mj

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1984975 - 10/06/03 10:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yea if the stain obviously blue youve got the right species (in this context). the spore print should definately vary quite obviously also, from rusty brown/orange to a purplish brown. the left is usually more sharp and FeO colored.

OfflineLCid
Close ToInsanity.
Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1985276 - 10/06/03 11:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

jesus christ find somone who knows what hes doing to take u out hunting or ur seriously risking ur life, cyans a gallerinas grow really clsoe to each other, infact i ussually find a gall patch and then look close  by(within 30 feet) and 40% of the time find cyans.

but for real always make sure u have somone experienced with u on ur first hunt, ull learn what kinda ground they grow off of etc and how to spot them easy, pictures can only do so much when ur talkin about ur life. find somone experienced or take mass photos and post um for a id check

in case u do go picking anyways
(carmelcap-whitestem-brown fril and a purple spore print-75% of all cyans are easily bruised blue)
if the specimen has anything different(watch out for cyan lookalikes with orange stems)then either leave it be or post a pic of the cap, the stem and the cap upside down here and ull prolly get a good id. tho if u finnally come across cyans in real life they dont look much diffrent from each other at all except the cap goes from Carmel brown to greyish white starting after u pick, or in instances of not enough rain etc, the cap could alrdy be the dried color.

g'luck and dont get stupid! its not worth it :smile:

OfflinePNWmushman
newguy

Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: LCid]
    #1986551 - 10/07/03 12:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still a bit nervious, but I've got a list to check off (blue bruising, white (not brown) stems, sporeprint, no ring. I'm hoping to find both, ID them, and familiarize myself with the differences before I eat anything (I have a strong urge to live.). Last time I was walking in a park up here, I saw many guys combing bushes, so I'll try to ask one of them or something. I'll also post my results. Thanks again.

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: PNWmushman]
    #1986573 - 10/07/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

As a fellow NW hunter and also having a well developed self preservation instinct my recommendation would be to use the bluing reaction as your key. I have never found a galerina that bruises blue! The bruising is usualy quick (5-10 min), and (PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong here) the only look alikes to Ps Cyan that also bruise blue are also active (Ps. Byo, Ps. Az).

There are some blue mushrooms and boletes that will turn blue but I'm assuming that you (Mushman) have past the point of mistaking them for the ones in question.

Personally I have not found a Galerina with the "wavey" cap, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. My main key is still spore printing and careful looking at the gills. I get immediately suspicious if the gills are orange-brown instead of darker greyish.

My first recommendation would be to go FIND some galerina's - look at them, pick them spore print them, get good at identfying them. In fact I recommend any mushroom hunter spend time learning the deadly ones before they bother with any others.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: Werecat]
    #1986957 - 10/07/03 03:48 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

By the way Werecat,

Galerina steglicheii is a psilocybian mushroom which does stain blue and was first found and identified from a green house in Germany.
It is a psychoactive galerina with no amatoxins in the mushroom.

figure that one out.

http://mushroomjohn.com/species8.htm

mj

And yes I know there are a few typos onthe page.

updates on the species will be finished by Christmans.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1987017 - 10/07/03 04:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Here is the URL for the photos and notes on poisonous look-a-likes for P. cyanescens, p. stuntzii and the deaddly three Galerina species and the deadly Conocybe filaris.

http://mushroomjohn.com/guidetext4.htm

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #1987142 - 10/07/03 04:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quit trying to find shortcuts to identifying mushrooms. Quit trying to use macroscopic features to tell species apart. Learn to ID to the genus your looking for. Galerinas and Ps. cyanescens are two entirely different genus, worlds apart, learn why, theres no other safe way to go about it!

I just hate seeing people ask "how can I tell the good ones from the deadly ones" and thats all they are interested in knowing. Read up on the Psilocybe genus, learn the key features, read the descriptions. Knowing you have found a Psilocybe is as easy as telling black from white if you've read anything at all. They are that distinct. And then take the time to read up on what you don't want to pick and eat so you can identify those with ease also.

LK,

--------------------

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Cyan's VS Deadlies [Re: Lizard King]
    #1987390 - 10/07/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

In my view it's about as hard as telling a head of cabbage from lettuce. Virtually anyone can tell them apart, but making a mistake won't kill you. In my opinion if you are going to eat a mushroom take the time as Lizard king says to learn about them and understand them.
The casual observer doesn't know a black bird from a starling. Learn the key things to look and they're not too hard to tell apart. Mushrooms are much the same, they just have different features.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification