Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePNutButta
Stranger
Noah's Flood / Biblical Literalism
    #1984169 - 10/06/03 04:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A conversation starter for all you Young Earth Creationists and Biblical Literalists.

Many people believe that most, if not all, of the Old Testament can be mapped quite accuratly onto a timeline based on dates, times, and genelogies in the Bible. People have been doing this for thousands of years, and even the Jewish calander is based off of the Old Testament. The research of some modern Biblical Chronologists are the basis of Young Earth Creationism and is an example of Biblical Literalism.

According to many chronologists, Noah's flood took place in 2304 BC. This date, chronologists feel, is accurate to a matter of days and is supported by the geneologies that came before it (to date the creation at around 4004 BC) and the events of the Old Testament that follows.

This is where my question comes in. The date of 2304 places the flood sometime in the middle of the 5th Egyptian Dynasty. Obviously there is no record in this civilization of that particular flood (as they would have been wiped out). This is also after the building of the great pyramids, which would logically be heavily damaged if not destroyed by such a flood. This may indicate a miscalculation of Eqyptian history, but to be off by thousands of years?

I guess what I am wondering is:

Do you believe in Young Earth Creationism / Biblical Literalism?
    Do you agree with the cronology given?
    How do you balance your beliefs against the records of other civilizations?
    Any other insight you feel like giving

P. Nut Butta

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleadrug

Re: Noah's Flood / Biblical Literalism [Re: PNutButta]
    #1984480 - 10/06/03 07:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I read a theory once about how the flood DID occur, but was not quite as widespread as people believe, i.e. instead of worldwide, centered more around the black sea and surrounding areas. Interesting feature about this on the national geographic website:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/blacksea/ax/frame.html

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Noah's Flood / Biblical Literalism [Re: PNutButta] * 1
    #1984493 - 10/06/03 07:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It's my opinion that anyone who takes the bible as 100% literal fact is just plain ignorant. It is simple fact that the chronology of earth goes back much further than the bible claims, unless you claim science is a wrong. The bible is obviously not the word of god, or at least not the direct word of god I should say. Perhaps God inspired the writing, but I don't think anyone can debate the fact that he didn't physically write it and distribute it to millions of people all over the world. The Bible has also come a long way, and inevitably I'm sure it has been altered quite a bit over the years and through the many translations. I think these facts need to be taken into consideration when attempting to get information from the bible.
What I do find quite interesting though, is the persistence of the great flood story in various forms throughout various cultures around the world. Perhaps this is evidence of a flood so devastating that people around the world passed the story down. Or perhaps it is just a theme that used often in religions to show the power of god, and what he is capable of doing if the population were to disregard the religious teachings. It also shows god's love and mercy for his followers as well, by allowing the pure and faithful "Noah" to survive and somehow re-populate the world. I really don't know which...it could go either way.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
    #1984512 - 10/06/03 07:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

On Bible literalism... you could argue that of you dont take the bible as being literaly speaking then the metaphors you come up with could be opinions and there would be all sorts of interpreatations. So to take it as fact could have beens Gods way, then there would be no argument.

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1986153 - 10/07/03 07:26 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Perhaps the magnitude of the time scale is not standard relative to humans...

For example..  If God were an enormously sized being, then one day relative to God would be like countless centuries relative to humans.

Kinda like 1 human year is something like 5 +/- cat years... 

Well 1 "God day" is like millions of human years.

Then maybe Everything was created in six days...  Relative to God though.

:eyemouth:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Noah's Flood / Biblical Literalism [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1986212 - 10/07/03 08:10 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Deiymiyan said:
Then maybe Everything was created in six days...  Relative to God though. 

Could very well be. It makes a lot of sense to me, that some sort of being that this Universe makes up would experience his world on a scale relative to himself, just like we do...

I don't think though, that the story of creation in the Bible ties in with this, though. It seems that parts of the Bible were just stories that were even older and passed down (Creation, the Flood, etc.), as they are stories that virtually every civilization knew and told. Some of the Bible was meant to be taken literally, other parts were meant to convey a message that could not be written.

I mean, how many times have you tried to describe some experience, maybe something you felt or did on a trip? The only way you could begin to try to get the message across would be some fanciful word play.. heh.

I regard the Bible as having a lot of different meanings on a lot of different levels, sometimes one particular passage holding a lot of different meanings at once. I also regard the Bible as something that isn't some writing in itself. There are a lot of different authors spanning a lot of time. Things written meant something different to the people of that particular time, things have been translated and translated and translated.

On top of all of that, there lays the biggest confusion tatic of all that was utilized by some people that had evil intentions. Or at least, they had good intentions and went about them badly, or something... anyways, I am sure that there were times that some of the Bible was changed.

I mean, let's say you have this Bible, and you are trying to convert a tribe of Germanic "heathens". They would pretty much go along with the ideas of Christianity, except maybe this one passage that strongly contradicts some of their own, already held beliefs. Now, simply changing one word that changes the meaning of that passage would allow these "heathens" a peaceful conversion. Hhmm... are we sure no one didn't change something in a situation like this? :grin:

But yeah. The Bible should definitely be taken entirely literal, or entirely allegorical... it is a collection of writings. Time has had its ill effects on these writings. I am not by any means a fan of organized religion. I would recommend reading the Bible and finding personal meaning in it. I don't follow anyone but myself, but I do recognize that there are a lot of ideas in the Bible that make a lot of sense and should probably be followed (they are usually upheld by all sorts of other sets of beliefs).
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFunguy
Homo SapiensEntheogenous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muffy
Re: Noah's Flood / Biblical Literalism [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1986317 - 10/07/03 09:39 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You know that the Sphinx shows signs of vertical erosion that could have only happened about 10,000 years before the Egyptians even showed up. This is because, supposedly, that about 13,000 years ago Egypt was more like a rain forest than a desert. This is from a book I read called Footprints of the Gods. It's about a guy who is trying to find proof of an ancient, technologically advanced civilization. Also, many people believe that aliens helped to build the Great Pyramid, and other ancient sites around the globe.

--------------------

OTD UNDERDOGS

Is attention your retarded heroin?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Noah's Flood / Biblical Literalism [Re: Funguy]
    #1986628 - 10/07/03 01:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, all of the Sahara was a rainforest, basically all of Africa... now it is basically constantly spreading south, until the whole fucking continent is barren and dry... ?shakes head in shame?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: