Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #19846011 - 04/14/14 08:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You're trying to fruit some ass-to-mouth? That's amazing bro!

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #19846013 - 04/14/14 09:00 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Kinda dirty too. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineDr. Sub
Trip Hazard
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #19846432 - 04/14/14 10:17 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Haha I'm using scopes in my geology class today so I did a sneaky spore smear on a slide and grabbed a photo, super ghetto hahaha.

--------------------
:mushroom2: I hunt Shrooms :mushroom2:

OfflineRiparianZoneJunky
hunter/gatherer
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: Dr. Sub]
    #19846541 - 04/14/14 10:44 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Nice find, can't wait to see what these turn out to be.
:ohboyohboyohboy:

--------------------
RZJ's Tea Tek
RZJ's Tradelist

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: Dr. Sub]
    #19847031 - 04/15/14 01:13 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bloodworm said:
Quote:

inski said:
Yes, it is a bit unusual but Fungi do like to travel.
P. aucklandiae always grows from clay soil, never from wood or leaf litter.

not according to the shroomery page...
http://www.shroomery.org/9613/Psilocybe-aucklandii

It's wrong, you will never find P. aucklandiae growing directly from wood or leaf litter, always on clay soils.

Quote:

Dr. Sub said:
So I returned back to the area where I found the interesting specimen yesterday, good news is I tracked down a bunch more, and these ones are much healthier, so I should be able to get some good sporeprints out of them.

Super excited.

In macroscopic form these are very similar to P. aucklandiae but I believe it is not that species.

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
Inski was telling me it is caerulescen like and could possibly be that if I remember correctly?

No, I don't think I said P. aucklandiae was possibly that species, maybe I said it is similar in macroscopic form but in microscopic form it fits better into Section Zapotecorum rather than Sect. Cordisporae due to the elliptic-ovate spores, it is possibly close to P. subcaerulipes or P. kumaenorum, we will see when Alonso gets back to me.

Quote:

Dr. Sub said:
Haha I'm using scopes in my geology class today so I did a sneaky spore smear on a slide and grabbed a photo, super ghetto hahaha.

Well done, now, can you tell me at what magnification the micrograph is at and how many microns each division is in the reticle?

The spores are subrhomboid in face view and subellipsoid in side view which suggests a species in Sect. Cordisporae or possibly Sect. Mexicanae, I'm leaning towards the former and think it is very close to P. subtropicalis, it's a very interesting collection.

--------------------

Edited by inski (04/15/14 01:26 AM)

OfflineDr. Sub
Trip Hazard
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: inski]
    #19847198 - 04/15/14 02:47 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You know I tried to ask the prac demonstrator and he didn't actually know.....

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is at 40X and the FOV was 0.45mm. Don't hold me to it because I truly don't know.

I also emailed the Biological sciences school and asked if I could have access to the microscopy labs to have a closer look. I think that the guys down there would be happy to help me out.

The scopes we are using in class are CPL microscopes for geology and petrology. Ill see if I can track down the standard parameters for magnification that they use, I would imagine that they would all be very much the same, there's really not much point in having different magnifications for scopes that primarily observe thin sections.

Edit: Hold me to it because that is the definitely the magnification and FOV of the scope that I was using :smile:

--------------------

Edited by Dr. Sub (04/15/14 03:01 AM)

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #19847210 - 04/15/14 03:01 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, I would say it is at 400x.
I can say that your mushrooms are not Psilocybe aucklandiae, they are close to P. subtropicalis.

--------------------

OfflineDr. Sub
Trip Hazard
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: inski]
    #19847225 - 04/15/14 03:16 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Wow!

Cheers for all the assistance inski!! You do great work!

So now I am wondering if these are something that has been introduced or whether they have been established for a long time and they have just never been observed before.

I mean I could definitely see how they wouldn't have been found before, they are easy to overlook and I was just lucky that the first one I found was literally right on the side of the walking track.
If I didn't know exactly what I was looking for I would have just passed it by as another LBM on the forest floor.

If the other observation in Sydney turns out to be the same species would this indicate that they are a truly native species?

How long would it generally take for a species of mushroom to colonise a new environment once introduced to the area, these things were quite widespread, they definitely seem like they have been here for a while.

--------------------

InvisibleTimmiTM
 User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #19847461 - 04/15/14 06:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You should try to get a good collection together that includes a range of maturity stages, dry them well, take good notes and lodge them in an herbarium (either SYD or MEL). It's an interesting find and I think it's worth making a formal record that has scientific value.

--------------------
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" ~ John Lennon

Invisibledomesticgnome

Loc: For me to know and you to find...
Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: TimmiT]
    #19847593 - 04/15/14 08:05 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

This thread rocks. Awesome find Dr. Sub, and a great community vibe going here.

I wanna see more microscopy!:dancingbacon:

--------------------

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: WA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: domesticgnome]
    #19847887 - 04/15/14 10:10 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Wow!! Awesome stuff! Look at those Rhomboid spores!!

--------------------
~~~~~~***Psilocybin Mushrooms***~~~~~~
_________A Practical Guide To Psilocybin Mushrooms_________

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: Joust]
    #19848124 - 04/15/14 11:04 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Nice!! P subtropicalis!! That is epic!

Sorry Inski for confusing our conversation, it was section Zapotecorum. :facepalm:

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #19848469 - 04/15/14 12:26 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It's not certainly P. subtropicalis although it is very similar in macroscopic and microscopic form, the spores look to be slightly narrower here, I'd also compare with P. papuana.

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

#19848612 - 04/15/14 12:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well thats even cooler since Ive never even heard of that one!! :eek: Cant wait to google it!

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

#19848646 - 04/15/14 01:05 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Oh my!! The Papua New Guinea Psilocybe!! That is soooo cool !!
There is quite a few species from there that could possibly grow in Australia as well.

My mind is blown, this opens up some doors for you Ozzies!! I can't believe I haven't heard of these species before.

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #19851871 - 04/16/14 01:16 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
Oh my!! The Papua New Guinea Psilocybe!! That is soooo cool !!
There is quite a few species from there that could possibly grow in Australia as well.

My mind is blown, this opens up some doors for you Ozzies!! I can't believe I haven't heard of these species before.

Yes, very cool, the op's find could also be a new species.

--------------------

Offline2Bob
Stranger
Male

Loc: Melbourne
    #19852212 - 04/16/14 03:32 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Fucking Awesome!!!

If it is indeed a new species i guess you get naming rights...

Well done mate... great persistence and good eyes have paid off for you...

--------------------

OfflineDr. Sub
Trip Hazard
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is this?? Unidentified Psilocybe Sp? NSW, Australia. [Re: 2Bob]
    #19852462 - 04/16/14 05:20 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Ok so I got my type collection!!

Returned up to the same general area, hunted a slope on the opposite side of the drainage channel that I found the original specimens... Found quite a few of the little guys!
Searched for at least an hour and found nothing, but then all of a sudden they seemed to just materialise out of nowhere and everything got easier.

I now have ample material to dry as a collection and enough to send away for analysis by the awesome community right here.

Most of these were found in VERY challenging conditions on the side of a more or less vertical exposed clay/soil erosion feature, so I apologise for the shoddy photos haha, it was also very dark in the understory so I'm glad I had my gorilla pod handy, it really pays to be prepared.

I got leeched and bitten by a thousand critters but it was all worth it, heres some Pics.

--------------------

Invisiblebudbud420
UNIVERSAL
Male

Loc: Queensland Flag
    #19852485 - 04/16/14 05:33 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

WOW! very interesting.. have you eaten any?

--------------------

Offlineent
L'estasi dell'oro
 User Gallery

#19852490 - 04/16/14 05:35 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Wow. This is awesome.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds