Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

Loc: in a jar of blue honey
help casing problem
    #1981475 - 10/05/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ok heres my situation. I have two casings that have started pinning about a week ago. None of the pins develope into full sized mushrooms. They get to be about 4 cm tall and maybe 1/3 cm thick. the caps never get wider then the stems and have a very light tint to them instead of the normal healthy dark brownish red that pins usually have. The casings are in a franks mini green house that has a coolmist humidifier running 24/7 in it as well as a fish tank bubbler providing fresh air 24/7 and a couple small trays of geolite for extra humidification. Here is a picture of the setup:
the humidty stays in a range of 80-90 but genreally it remains at 85%. Temperature ranges from 72 degrees F to 78. Light is set at 12/12 and it is diffuse light from an HPS light. One of the casings is of the south american strain and the substrate is 5 quarts of popcorn which is 3 inchs thick with an inch of wet verm on the bottom then 3/4 of an inch of 70/30 coir/verm. here are the pics of that casing:

the other casing is of the GT strain and the substrate is 4 quarts of rye grass seed with a depth of 2 1/2 inches with the same measurments for wet verm and the casing layer. here are the pics:

all of the pins in the pictures have remained about the same for a week only slightly growing taller while not bulking out. its taken 7 days for them to reach the height of 4 cm. wtf am i doing wrong?

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: help casing problem [Re: mushroomspoon]
    #1981586 - 10/05/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

for starters your humidity is a little low.... everything else seems good. HPS are more in the red spectrum and the blue spectrums are suppose to be better for pinning and growth (I'll probably get yelled at for this) but since you seem to be getting alot of pins Iwouldn't worry about the light. Try raising the humidity

Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

Re: help casing problem [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1981816 - 10/05/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ok i kicked my humidity up to 95, anyone else have any suggestions?

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

OfflineUrbanistiC
Hmm....
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa.
    #1982987 - 10/06/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I may have a few suggestions inmy opinion that may help. With the humidity at 95%, thats fine and dandy. How is the moisture content on your casings? And have you tested the pH levels? In the FAQs under casing, there is FAQs about pH... that may be causing stunted growth. My other thought is that the casings are too dry, or there is a contam munching away inside the layers.

You posted quite a while ago, how did they turn out?

--------------------
Keep it ReaL.

Offlinentisitho
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: help casing problem [Re: UrbanistiC]
    #1983362 - 10/06/03 08:24 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My friend had the same problem with his last casings. All conditions in the chamber seemed right on. After a week of extremely slow growth, he went ahead and dunked the casing for 24 hours. One week later, mushroom growth on the casing exploded.

--------------------
How shameful to put a senior citizen in jail for selling handmade artware. Free Tommy Chong!

Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

Re: help casing problem [Re: UrbanistiC]
    #1983450 - 10/06/03 09:26 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

casing layer moisture content is ok, it was a bit too wet before. ph might be whats fucking me. I just moved to a new place and all my problems started when i got settled here. i dont have a ph tester so i think thats next an the agenda of items to purchase. 2 of the other casings i had before sat there for 3 weeks then went green and the other one sat there for a month, had another pin set with much bigger pins, then pooped out on me again but no contam ever showed its head and i ended up just burying it outside.

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

#1983452 - 10/06/03 09:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

24 hours after those pictures the caps on SA casing are getting whiter and the pins are slightly taller.

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

#1984083 - 10/06/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

bump

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1997594 - 10/10/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

This is actually a rather common problem, unfortunately there isn't a common answer as there are several things that can cause it. Without having the time to write the book on the subject, here are some things that could be at play:

1. pH as mentioned above
2. "Hidden" contam
3. chemicals (in substrate, casing, tray, air, or water)
4. moisture content
5. genetically mutated culture
6. Senescent culture due to age (repeated cloning or over-incubated substrate)

Of these, some are easy to rule out, others aren't, especially number 2. #5 is rare, and #6 would be obvious.

I would say that I wouldn't worry about the water as you described in your pm, although I personally think it overboard. I've always used tap water, which only gets heated if it goes into a substrate that gets heated. Although tap water does varry from area to area, and could be a varitety of pH's, contain various chemicals, and if well water can have bacteria. At that, I've never lived anywhere I that the water to be a problem.

Sorry this isn't a clear answer, but does it at least give you some ideas to explore?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck