Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinewordreality
Stranger
some thoughts on schizophrenia
    #1163280 - 12/22/02 06:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

schizophrenia is commonly noted by an individual experiencing sensory perception that does not actually exist in the physical world. when one ingests psychadelic drugs he will experience hallucinations of these "unreal" things.
i personally have found that schizophrenia can be induced through certain techniques dealing with awareness of the various functions and aspects of my being. what i am trying to build is a theory about what actually causes these hallucinations, in any one of these cases.

popular psychology claims that the particular psychosis is caused by a disturbance of the "harmony" between the conscious and unconscious mind. anyone with half of a functioning brain can realize through a little thought and observation that the conscious mind is connected with all energy and likewise affected by it. if one also takes time to examine what is known as the unconscious mind, he can easily come to the same conclusion about it. furthermore, it can be seen that the "collective unconscious" is affected and affects the, if i may now use the term, "collective conscious" and vice versa. so, now, how is the harmony between the two disrupted as to cause such "unreal" sesnory perception?

when one ingests psychadelic drugs, it is apparent that the various energy receptors in the brain are altered. i feel that when one is under the influence of these drugs, one is able to recieve and be aware of much more energies of different types and vibrations than one normally would. is this to say that the various visual, auditory, tactile, and other sensations that one experiences on these drugs are existing in the same time and space as those that we would normally percieve when not under the influence, products of the unconscious mind becomming conscious, or something entirely different and unfathomable. regardless of which of these reasons we choose to accept, the hallucinations are still signs of what is known as schizophrenia. if what is happening when one is under the influence of psychadelic drugs is indeed a tapping into, if you will, of the collective unconscious, then it should suffice to say that psychadelic drugs simply disrupt the balance between the conscious and unconscious mind. if what is happening during a psychadelic session is actually the reception of energy that occupies the same space and time, but for some reason is not able to be witnessed when sober, then it simply stands that the mass of men are too unaware to be classified as schizophrenic cases (a pity). but if the sensory perception experienced on psychadelic drugs is something that cannot be explained with logic (imagine that) then there is no use in theorizing any further about where the effects of the drugs originate. not that i care in the first place.

in common cases of schizophrenia, where the subject hasn't been playing around with neat and super-cool occult techniques and practices to achieve the disorder, or hasn't spent the last hour downing nasty mushrooms or research chemicals (or whatever tickles your fancy), which usually comes along with the "paranoia," i would simply say that the individuals ego has somehow caused itself to be aware of certain conscious, that usually remain unconscious (like the piece of lint on the floor) activities to the point where he becomes fanatical about it, drawing in so much energy that the contents of the unconscoius mind start to become conscious, following in suit to the lint and arm movements, as it were. i would gather from this reasoning, which by chance happens to be my own, that when more conscious events are taken in and made aware of, which would otherwise remain unconscious, the actual contents of the unconscious mind start to rise to the surface of consciousness, causing nasty hallucinations of all sorts and shapes and sizes.

as far as awareness techniques go, for inducing hallucinations, i would give the same reasoning.. one starts to become conscious of things that would otherwise remain unconscious, to the point where so much energy is taken in that the unconscious mind starts to intervene with the regular workings, and starts to become conscious itself, possibly to gain more power, and try to balance things out.

these are just theories... i don't have any faith in them at all. they remain just bullshit words to me. i just found my ideas on the subject as a whole to be quite interesting and thought provoking. if anyone has any objections to them or more to add, or any comments, i would love to read.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: wordreality]
    #1163283 - 12/22/02 06:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"Schizophrenia" is just another perceptual vantage point, no more right or wrong than anyone else's.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1163298 - 12/22/02 06:52 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting theories, and very well articulated.

You are an intelligent thinker and writer, as well, worldreality.

I welcome you to S, P & S and hope you stay for the duration! :laugh:

As for your theories... I do not know anywhere near enough about schizophrenia or the conscious and unconscious minds to either add or object to them.  Your post has made me interested, though, so we'll see if I might be able to say a little more on the subject after I do some research!  :grin:

-RebelSteve 

P.S.  I noticed you don't use caps... Any reason? 

Just wondering... I like to wonder a lot I guess.  :smile:

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1163470 - 12/22/02 08:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think there's a misunderstanding with the word "hallucinations". People on psychedelic drugs are aware that what they are seeing isn't real. People with schizophrenia arn't. It's a fundamental difference.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: Xlea321]
    #1163594 - 12/23/02 12:38 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think that's debatable. I'm pretty sure that schizophrenics can be aware that they have schizophrenia and then try to seek help...although the nature of it makes it difficult to believe or accept the help you find. As for what's real and what's not...what is the difference between thinking you hear voices in your head, and *really* hearing voices in your head?

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: Revelation]
    #1163615 - 12/23/02 12:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Administrator

Anonymous

Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: matts]
    #1163754 - 12/23/02 02:56 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

John Nash actually has a website where he talks about it briefly. You can see evidence of something just from viewing it. I love that movie too.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
    #1163840 - 12/23/02 03:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I still think certain people are thrown into a category when diagnosed. In the old days the categories were less and more were bunched into misdiagnosed groups who seem to fit. Today we just have more theories, but I still think there are many, many levels of different mental illnesses or special minds I would say.

There are many of these people that border on sheer genius or artistry. Most know that many of the great poets, artists, etc. had other issues. I think there is a fine line between sanity and genius. Usually a person who has no issues whatsoever (who doesn't) has no creativity. Takes the right ingredients, but sometimes a person may have too much of one ingredient.

I hope I didn't stray too far off from your topic.

Nice post :smile:

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Anonymous

Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: Alien]
    #1163879 - 12/23/02 04:20 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Schizophrenia is a waste basket diagnosis anyways.

I think there used to be 4 different categories.

Hebephrenia
Catatonia
Paranoia
and one other one.

I'll have to do a little research to refresh my memory.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: Revelation]
    #1163898 - 12/23/02 04:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think that's debatable

Certainly. Nothing about schizophrenia is cut and dried.

I'm pretty sure that schizophrenics can be aware that they have schizophrenia and then try to seek help

I had a friend who developed schizophrenia, he wasn't aware of what was happening to him until he was taken into mental care and placed on drugs that decreased his symptoms. He had to be diagnosed, he certainly didn't have the awareness that "I am developing schizophrenia"

what is the difference between thinking you hear voices in your head, and *really* hearing voices in your head?

I suppose it's the difference between reality and fantasy. I see horror films now and again and quite enjoy them but I think the experience of watching a horror film is quite different to being locked in a room with a mass-murderer with a butchers knife and a hard-on.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #1163934 - 12/23/02 04:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

when I was in the hospital they weren't sure what was "wrong" with me, but they came up with possible schizoeffective disorder.  Schizo symptoms, and bypolar symptoms. Basically they didn't know what the hell was wrong with me and so they didn't want to diagnose, to 'throw me into a category' so to speak...  Hallucinations?  Yeah..  mostly auditory, but some visual ..  typical mild acid movement, floor "rolling", etc, but nothing massive like a dmt trip (not that I'd know).  I came to the conclusion that there was excess DMT in my body at the time of my little endevor (sp?) which caused these symptoms, but that was just one theory.. who knows..  all I know now is I don't have to worry about taking that stupid pink pill every day.  Man was that a hassle :smile:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: nubious]
    #1163990 - 12/23/02 05:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Heh... I see the floor rolling all the time. It's all about adjusting your eyes, or should I say eye.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: nubious]
    #1164294 - 12/23/02 06:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Administrator

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: matts]
    #1164595 - 12/23/02 08:19 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

googlesearch:
abram hoffer book _vitamin b-3 and schizophrenia
~
NIACINAMIDE
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1982278 - 10/05/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
People on psychedelic drugs are aware that what they are seeing isn't real. People with schizophrenia arn't.

Really? What about them normal people who take acid, think they have wings, and try to fly out a window only to kill themselves as they crash to the ground? They must have been schizo from the get go right?

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #1982389 - 10/05/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wordreality said:
schizophrenia is commonly noted by an individual experiencing sensory perception that does not actually exist in the physical world.

This is an insufficient description of schizophrenia.
Although psychedelic drugs were once thought to produce a "model psychosis" imitating schizophrenia, this view has been amended.
Psychedelic drugs cause mostly visual hallucinations, and while these are not totally absent in schizophrenia, they are rare. More typical to schizophrenia are auditory hallucinations, mostly in the form of blaming voices.

Second, schizophrenia is not characterized only by hallucinations.
Hallucinations are a type of schizophrenias positive symptoms. Aside from these are the negative symptoms -like apathia and anhedonia.
(Positive and negative here don?t mean good and bad).

Hallucinations are typical only to some forms of schizophrenia, mostly the hebephrenic and paranoid subtypes. Catatonic schizopheria, for example, is characterized by psychomotor catatonia with less or no hallucinations. Other types include simplex, residual, schizoaffective... depending on the classification system used there are 5 to 11 subtypes.

I?m in a hurry now and what I wrote probably makes little sense. I?ll write a better explanation on schizophrenia tomorrow if someone is interested.

Anyway good debate!

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Anonymous

#1982647 - 10/05/03 10:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder. I take dopamine and serotonin inhibitors daily. I would only get audio hallucinations. Most of the time they flow in and out and I don't really pay much attention. The drugs have helped at cutting them down. Right before I started taking the drugs, I was really messed up. The voices would be with me nonstop the whole day and it was really intolerable. I'm only 20 years old but this has helped me grow up a bit.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: ]
    #1982972 - 10/06/03 01:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My grandfather has Schizophrenia, I honestly don't know very much about the illness but here's some theories that I accept as having merit:

1)Schizophrenia is triggered by extreme emotional stress, basically, it's a "flight" reaction when one's life becomes unliveable or one feels it's impossible to escape thier situation.

2)In many people it's a temporary condition in which one goes through intense spiritual upheaval, and if it is undisturbed will often resolve itself in a greater clarity and purpose in life.

3)Somehow the security surrounding the pineal gland (where DMT is likely produced) is compromised (this can happen under extreme stress-intentionally inflicted through spiritual practice or unintentionally, by circumstances), there is an abundance of beta carbolines(MAO inhibitors we make in our brains), or there is a lack of Monoamine Oxidase causing the brain to recieve too much DMT. This could lead to the point where the individual is in a constant low, mid or high level psychedelic experience that doesn't end. This experience, after a while, would easily turn dark, because who'd be able to handle being on DMT constantly, day in day out?

The third one is the most theoretical of all, but I've recently read about it in the book "DMT: the spirit molecule" by Rick Straussman, M.D. He did an extensive research project into DMT in the early to mid 90's, and this book is primarily about that.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: some thoughts on schizophrenia [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #1983157 - 10/06/03 03:52 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hhm.. always nice to see a post make a reappearance after a year's time.. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #1983485 - 10/06/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I was just talking to my mom and she was talking about an article she read about schizophrenia.

The article was talking about how they have found so many similarities (both behavioral and in the brain itself) between people with schizophrenia and people who are considered "gifted" or "genius". They found that people who are genius do not filter out nearly as much sensory information as "normal" people do. This was also the case with people who are schizophrenic.

The theory was that people who become genius are able to "handle" the extra sensory input and this is how they are "smarter" than your average human. The schizophrenic people just can't handle this extra barrage of information, and instead of becoming genius they experience a loss of contact with what we normally consider "reality".

To throw in my own two cents:
I think that the extra sensory input causes (at least in the genius case) the human brain to change to an alternate form of processing, in order to "keep up" with the extra information. This happens at an early age and results in a HIGHLY abstracted form of thought possibly accompanied by a faster pace of thought. I think that in schizophrenia the same thing occurs, but instead of understanding the extra information the person is overwhelmed and experiences hallucinations and other phenomena.

Cause if you look at it, there is a VERY fine line between what is genius and what is insane.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract