Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

Re: New forum
    #198045 - 11/11/99 12:39 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

What do you mean about 'pile of shit'?

I like the way Off Topic is so varied, containing topics from spirituality, to activist issues, to stories about taking dumps....it makes it a little zany and happy.

------------------
Listen to Captain Jack.
http://www.mp3.com/captainjack99/

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAphex
Co-Webmaster
Re: New forum [Re: Captain Jack]
    #198047 - 11/11/99 07:15 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Ya, the Off-Topic board does need to be segmented into some new forums to reduce some of the traffic. Do you think spirituality/occult one would work best? I believe we've tried something like it before and it kind of flopped. If you think it's best, let me know and we can ahead and add it. Later.

------------------
Aphex
Co-Webmaster of The Shroomery
Aphex@shroomery.org

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#198048 - 11/11/99 07:57 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

My thoughts - as I said above, I like the variety of the OT board. But traffic is an issue. If you leave it at the defaults, it's 3 pages worth of topics over the last 5 days. That's a plethora of information to sort through.

But because of the severe variety, it would be very hard to segment it properly. I must hand it to StrangeDays for his suggestion, that's probably the best possible new one. While going through the board, the only other board idea I got was something like "Culture", where you talk about music, movies, and television, both relevant to tripping and not tripping, so it would take from both Off Topic and Trips Toys and Suggestions (which doesn't really need to be trimmed, however).

Just some ideas, hope I helped.

------------------
Listen to Captain Jack.
http://www.mp3.com/captainjack99/

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

Anonymous

#198049 - 11/11/99 11:50 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Yo muthafukas, I tell you straight up my opinion:

1. Off-Topic is not a pile of shit. Off-Topic makes me smile and laugh. MOE's stories are very entertaining, and the varied threads cover so much.

2. Even with the above, I think it would be neat to have a separate forum for religious/occult/spiritual discussions. I think there'd be enough conversation to warrant a forum, especially since many shroomer's get quite an insight into these areas.

frildo

------------------
I live for crack cocaine.

Anonymous

#198050 - 11/12/99 12:17 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

We had a religion/philosophy forum a long time ago and it didn't get enough posts. But this was well before we had several huge explosions in membership. I'm sure it would work now.

InvisibleSuffer
puter dork
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA
    #198051 - 11/12/99 12:25 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I think a board for spirituality/the occult is a great idea. Trying to read every post in OTD can be alot to take in, and often times, I think that people are saying things that i would like to read and reply to, but they get bogged down because there are so many other posts.

-Suffer-

------------------
"In fact, I would say this particular generation gap might almost be called chemical warfare - the pot-heads versus the booze-heads." Leslie Fielder

--------------------

Anonymous

#198052 - 11/12/99 06:09 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Man i dig off topic discussion the way it is. The threads are always entertaining and I get a kick about the fact that any thing that doesn't match the other forums is fair game there. I agree with Captain Jack. It would only make tiny off shoots not worth while if you guys tried to segment it. The Culture idea is intruigung and if you guys think it will work, I'm all for it. Just as long as we have a forum where asspirates can run freely and Moe can just be Moe.
Peace,
Trip

------------------
Shit! I didn't just say that did I?

Anonymous

#198053 - 11/12/99 06:20 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I'm in love with off topic!

No, it's great but as you're saying it might need to be split up. I'm not sure of the split on spirituality though. Keep off-topic (where in fact spiritual discussions can take place) and make a "humor" or "lifestyle" forum.

In either way, I'm sure it'll be great!

------------------
//Moomin666 -When madness is an art...

Invisibleinbetween
addict
Loc: maps
    #198054 - 11/12/99 09:36 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I too like the off-topic but am never able to wade through all the posts. The spirituality forum might be a good idea but I don't think it would break up the off-topic much as maybe one in fifty post has anything remotely connected to the topic. Captain jacks culture forum makes more sense as it could include spirituality and occult topics, while the off-topic can be what it is (see "what names for tits" thread. Also if there is a separate forum for discussing "serious" or at least more serious topics, it may keep pointless flames out of well intentioned threads.

--------------------
my vocabulary did this to me

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #198055 - 11/12/99 11:27 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

hmmm... i think if we had a humor or life styles forum it would detract from the spontanaity of the origanal off-topic... i will admit, you have to wade through a bunch of sewage at times to get where you want to go, but sometimes the sewage doesnt smell that bad... and in fact can make you laugh out loud. i think we have to go to an occult/spiritual forum, and i actually would frequent that more than off-topic. i have a hard time starting things like that, but when someone else does i find it interesting and opening up my sense of beliefs, making me want to explain how I see things :smile: just go with it.

------------------
"Who is John Galt?"

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineoDin
    #198056 - 11/12/99 01:51 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I like the idea of the spirtuality section. Many of the most spirtual persons are probably the ones annoyed by the SHIT in the off topic section right now. I like shit. If you dont like it, dont read on is a good motto to follow. A religion type section is a good idea. God bless the off topics section.
And thanks for the link here Captain.

Anonymous

#198057 - 11/12/99 02:53 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe...

Off-topic often has banal "cock" posts (like "cock" rock but without sound). I am not talking about Moe's posts here, just the really offensive immature posts. Moe doesnt say the F*** twenty times in a paragraph just to sound cool. There is a difference between using colourful language effectively and just abusing the Fword as some people abuse "like" or "y'know". I think it has improved lately myself.

I think creating a different "humor" or "culture" forum may not be a good idea. Most of the GOOD humor in off-topic derives from familiarity and diversity. Many things are discussed in posts and it adds to the spice when you can go from a serious discussion to a humorous one involving the same people.

A spirituality and philosophy forum may be good - I know I would visit it. May be this could be combined with "trip toys and suggestions".

It can take away from the spiritual mood to come into of-topic wanting to talk about how beautiful your recent trip was and see a bunch of posts full of profanities and small-minded egoism. I repeat though, that it has improved and if you look at the posts (at least right now) the is nothing really offensive.

------------------
The combined symbol for Ernie and Bert.

Anonymous

#198058 - 11/12/99 05:45 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I think that the really childish and immature posts are a hoot!

I do think that a board devoted to spirituality would be a great idea though.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #198059 - 11/13/99 01:13 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Its hard to call this one...Off-Topic has so much traffic that it is almost impossible to catch up if you are gone for 3 or 4 days! But I think that no matter how it is segmented (spirituality, humor, politics, whatever) it would not feel like the same old "Off-Topic" that I have grown to love. Thats just my 2 cents...

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineRainbow
addict
    #198060 - 11/13/99 04:03 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Spiritality forum-Good idea
Off Topic-Amusing but dense.

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #198061 - 11/13/99 06:43 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I reckon that there might be some value in dividing growing and possibly experimental into two parts - i.e growing could be people who have actually grown something as opposed to dumb overheard rumours and their friends, experimental could be suggestions that might work as opposed to ones which were actually tried and worked/failed. It's just that it is starting to annoy me a bit when I see large posters around here who never grew or ate anything with a cap, I hung around here for nearly a year and grew mushrooms a few times before actually registering and posting - it only seemed reasonable to me to do it that way - opinions?

Anonymous

#198062 - 11/13/99 08:09 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm...I think there is some misunderstanding. Nothing is going to happen to the Off-Topic forum!! People seem to be concerned that it will be changed or removed. We're just talking about adding a new forum.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #198063 - 11/14/99 04:16 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Add a new spiritual board. There are almost always several posts daily that I find (I'm sure I miss a lot in the garbage) regarding religion. Most are people saying things like, "why does nobody care about spirituality?". They just don't know that a lot of us do, but posting it in Off-topic seems almost heretical, and general topics should be geared to more general things than specifics of spirituality.
Is there gonna be a vote or something, or will ya'll just take my word for it?

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineBBin
BlueOvertoneStorm

Loc: The Netherlands
    #198064 - 11/14/99 05:44 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

yes, an additional forum dedicated to deep philosophical, theosophical, occult and spiritual discussions would be great. there have been numerous people who have mentioned something like this before, so i think it would work now.

--------------------
Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

OfflineNearEnd
enthusiast
    #198065 - 11/14/99 11:09 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Off topic is great, a good BB need something like that, a spirituality BB would be an increadable asset to the Shroomery, who ever is in charge should add it. Or at least let a vote be cast.

OfflineTweedle
journeyman
    #198066 - 11/15/99 01:02 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I give the spirituality BB 2 thumbs up. I have heard alot of talk on it in the past couple of weeks and think it is a great idea. I know I would frequent it regularly.

------------------
We are the happy trippin tree people!
We all live in the trippin cherry tree.

InvisibleLittle Shroom
Resident Faerie
Female

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #198067 - 11/21/99 12:38 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Off Topic and the people who post there... it's like 1 big family... one that I'd rather not see be split up. I like Off Topic the way it it. Mabye a spirituality boards would be cool, but OTD can never die.

Peace and love,
Little Shroom

------------------
If you can't beat em', arrange to have them beaten..!

If I had ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck