Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledoktor_alternate
card-carryingAmateurMycologistsAnonymous member
Loc: vancouver
antimicrobial controls
    #1977343 - 10/03/03 09:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

ok, so most of you out there seem to like 'antibacterial' lysol right?
well: fuck lysol! go simple green antibacterial: its so much better!
lysol has only 3 antibacterial drugs (n-alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (C12, C14, C16)), and it smells like 'mountain fresh' shit.
you also cant use it on acryllic plastics or itl warp that shit to shit!

simple green antibacterial has
- n-octyl-n-decyldimethylammonium chloride
- n,n-dioctyldimethylammonium chloride
- n,n-didecyldimethylammonmium chloride
- n-alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (C12, C14, C16)
and just smells like shit. hahahahahahaha ah ahahaha ahahaha[snort]

which is just a fancy way of saying that simple green has twice the alkyl quaternary ammonia analogues and that means that bacteria are 10^3 times less likely to become resistant to SG than to Lysol. which is good, by the way. antibacterial-resistent bacteria become more and more of a problem every day in placel like hospitals and such. now, you may ask, why do i give a fuck about antibacterially resistant bacteria? well, because bacteria can become resistant to a drug my undergoing a random mutaion that enables them to bypass the weak point that the drug targeted, thus giving them an effective monopoly over the available substrate(yes, that is your rye or brfV jars). also, many bacteria of many a genus can swap resistance plasmids between eachother. thats a bad thing, BTW. by increasing the number of drugs in your employ, you can exponentialize your effectiveness

now, these drugs are classified as 'cationic detergents' and act by 'associating closely with phospholipids' and busting those motherfuckers' butts, which is known as 'bacteriocidal' antibiotics.

remember: if you can see bacteria, there are millions and millions of those bugger there, all multiplying every half haour.

dont rely on SG, though, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to wipe everthing down (dont forget to flame it off). alcohols are lipid solvents and protein denaturants which means that any kind of living cell that they come into contact with will be straight busted open (yes alcoholics, your brain and nerve cells count too, and they happen to be extra-fatty because lipids are great at insulating charge and you dont want all your neurons to leak your messages around, do you? hahaha[snort])

Sodium Hypochorite (bleach) is a good oxidizer, which will oxidize your evil baddies' phospholipid bilayers, or glycogen cell walls and straight kill them niggers up! this is how hydrogen peroxide works too (the vapour is the active form).
as on off topic side-note, using your syringe to drip a few drops of 3%H2O2(aq) into your ears once a week will kill viruses and shit too, so youll NEVER get sick. (well, very arely, anyway. i swear by it.)
you just gotta make sure that the stuff goes way inside (requires some tipping of the head and shaking). it will fizz and tickle, and you should tip it out when its not fizzing quite so much anymore.

iodine tincture can also be used, cuz it will iodinate tyrosine residues.

!Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Iodine-containing compuonds can act as anything from antiseptics to full on sterilants depending on concentration, length of exposeure and route of administration.
(which is why dilute concentrations of H2O2 are applied topically for not-that-long to your ears, but your bins will be wiped wet with IPA)

any additions to this post are more that welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBuddyLight
Stranger
Re: antimicrobial controls [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #2015061 - 10/16/03 05:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Always thought they were bacteriolytic anitbiotics since they attack the phos. lips and in result lyse the cell... bacteriocidal just means the cell dies but does not rupture...

h202 works wonders against some bacteria... but alot of them do have the catalases that break down the h202.. also h202 would only affect enveloped virii as they are the only ones with phos. lips. surrounding their respective nucleocapsids...

as far as the h202 in the ears? I'm a bit skeptical as most infections in the body come from the 4 mucous membranes i.e the conjuctiva, respiratory tract, intestine, and genitals...

So unless you're causing miniscule cuts in your ears...

Re: antimicrobial controls [Re: BuddyLight]
    #2016032 - 10/16/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i assume youre referring to quat' detergents when you say:

Quote:

BuddyLight said:
Always thought they were bacteriolytic anitbiotics since they attack the phos. lips and in result lyse the cell... bacteriocidal just means the cell dies but does not rupture...

well,
Madigan et al. "Brock Biology of Microorganisms, 10th ed." NJ: Pearson Education, Inc., 2003. Table 20.3 and pp704-716
said that cationic detergents 'Interact with phospholipids' as both antiseptics and as sterilants. It never mentioned them as being lytic, so i didnt want to misrepresent the source by saying that they were, so i just said that they were static (though i suppose this could be misrepresentation aswell, and on second thought i suppose i shouldnt have said that either....)
so if you can pull up a reference on that, i will make the neccessary editions.

thx

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2017499 - 10/17/03 10:54 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Dr A -- Lysol is alcohol, so why are you telling people to use alcohol instead of Lysol? It does have a detergent in it, but it's still mostly ethanol.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Re: antimicrobial controls [Re: micro]
    #2018184 - 10/17/03 04:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i was trying to compare it to another kitchen sanitizer "simple green antibacterial" by way of their drug contents, but you make a very good point.

however, i was unable to find that claim on either the lysol website or on the back of my lysol antibacterial kitchen sanitizer bottle...
nor did the SG bottle or website tell me what their carrier fluid was...
so i emailed SG about that, and am currently waiting for a reply.
the fact of the matter IS though, lysol will warp acryllic plastics and SG wont. i figure there must be a difference in the carrier fluid for that to be the case...

======================================================================
the reason iodinating tyrosine residues will work to kill bacteria and that is because the target protein residues will fall out of solution.
bacteriocidal through protein precipitation.

#2018722 - 10/17/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

well, SG replied and told me that their product is an alkaline aqueous-based cleaner, however lysol could provide no satisfactory answer.

if we are then to assume that lysol is alcoholic, and SG is aqueous that would account for the chemical incompatabilities of the two with regard to acryllic plastics.

in light of this i shall retract my prejudices against lysol, as i previously thought that the only difference between lysol and SG was the drug content. my sincerest appoligies.

N

antimicrobial controls mk2 [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #2018750 - 10/17/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

doktor_alternate said:
lysol has only 3 antibacterial drugs (n-alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (C12, C14, C16)), and it smells like 'mountain fresh' shit.
you also cant use it on acryllic plastics or itl warp that shit to shit because of its reputed alcoholic nature!

simple green antibacterial has
- n-octyl-n-decyldimethylammonium chloride
- n,n-dioctyldimethylammonium chloride
- n,n-didecyldimethylammonmium chloride
- n-alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (C12, C14, C16)
and just smells like shit. hahahahahahaha ah ahahaha ahahaha[snort]
however SG is just an alkaline aqueous solution.

which is just a fancy way of saying that simple green has twice the alkyl quaternary ammonia analogues and that means that bacteria are 10^3 times less likely to become resistant to SG than to Lysol. which is good, by the way. antibacterial-resistent bacteria become more and more of a problem every day in placel like hospitals and such. now, you may ask, why do i give a fuck about antibacterially resistant bacteria? well, because bacteria can become resistant to a drug my undergoing a random mutaion that enables them to bypass the weak point that the drug targeted, thus giving them an effective monopoly over the available substrate(yes, that is your rye or brfV jars). also, many bacteria of many a genus can swap resistance plasmids between eachother. thats a bad thing, BTW. by increasing the number of drugs in your employ, you can exponentialize your effectiveness

now, these drugs are classified as 'cationic detergents' and act by 'associating closely with phospholipids' and busting those motherfuckers' butts, which are known as 'bacteriolytic' antibiotics.

dont rely on SG, though, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to wipe everthing down (dont forget to flame it off). alcohols are lipid solvents and protein denaturants which means that any kind of living cell that they come into contact with will be straight busted open (yes alcoholics, your brain and nerve cells count too, and they happen to be extra-fatty because lipids are great at insulating charge and you dont want all your neurons to leak your messages around, do you? hahaha[snort])
lysol got drugs and alcohol together though... so its probably better than SG for some applications...

Sodium Hypochorite (bleach) is a good oxidizer, which will oxidize your evil baddies' phospholipid bilayers, or glycogen cell walls and straight kill them niggers up! this is how hydrogen peroxide works too (the vapour is the active form).

iodine tincture and other iodine-containing products can also be used, cuz they will iodinate tyrosine residues and subsequently precipitate those target protein residues out of solution.

!Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Iodine-containing compuonds can act as anything from antiseptics to full on sterilants depending on concentration, length of exposeure and route of administration.

any additions to this post are more that welcome.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology