Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRulzer
Stranger
Serious humidity prob...need help!
    #1976498 - 10/03/03 01:53 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

A week ago I built my terrarium--a rubbermaid container sitting inside another rubbermaid container with a submersible aquarium heater. For a lid, I cut out the middle piece and put plastic over it, taping it all around. I covered the outside with aluminum foil for lighting purposes. Inside the main terrarium I put in about two inches of Perlite and about 3/4's of water. I have a platform sitting about an inch above the Perlite where my cakes and thermometer/humidity gauge sit. I stabalized the heat at around 82%, and for the past week, the highest the humidity has gone up too was about 85%. During the day I leave two towels draped over the terrarium, so the lid should fit just fine. I've even tried spraying water inside (not on the cakes), but the humidity stays the same--always ranging from 80-85%. I have had several abhorts. When something starts growing, it gets about a 1/2 an inch long and I can see white fuzzy (mycelium?) on the cap, which I read is a sign of low humidity and that I'm on the edge of failure. Then it doesn't grow anymore. I don't know what I am doing wrong so please give me any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: Rulzer]
    #1976518 - 10/03/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

my guess is the humidity is actually ok and pins are just not getting enough fresh air....those guages are usually wrong....it might also be too warm in there....you shouldn't need the heater

OfflineRulzer
Stranger
Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: ]
    #1976522 - 10/03/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

There's plenty of condensation everywhere, and I have to shake the lid once in the morning and once at night to get it out. I fan the terrarium out when I do this. I'll try lowering the temp to the high 70's (?) and see how that works. Any other suggestions are still appreciated.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: ]
    #1976545 - 10/03/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with stupaod. Fuzzy mycelium on the fruits usually means your humidity is very high. Hygrometers are often faulty. I don't even use them anymore. Perlite almost always will give you plenty of humidity. If there is water condensed on the sides of the terrarium then your humidity is probably fine. Newbs usually worry too much about humidity. I feel good air exchange is far more important for healthy fruits than a 99% rh.

What's the temp in your terrarium? Did you mean 82 degrees? If so, that's too warm. Get rid of the heater unless your room is like 68 degrees.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #1976552 - 10/03/03 02:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Where did you read that mycelium on the cap is related to low humidity? I am curious, because mycelium climbing up the stems is usually a sign of _high_ humidity...also if you have condensation everywhere it would seem your humidity is high.
How do your cakes look? Are they dry or shrunken? Does the mycelium on them look hard, maybe a bit brownish?
This usually happens if your humidity is too low.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

OfflineRulzer
Stranger
Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: ummikko]
    #1977236 - 10/03/03 06:29 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My cakes look just like they did after I birthed them. They are starting to look fuzzier than they were, mostly on the tops. I thought it was in the PF Tek that mycelium on the cap is related to low humidity. Anyway, I will try for a temp. of 72-75 degrees and hope that everything turns out okay. I came this for; I don't want to fail now. ;-) Thanks for all the advice and if anyone else has different suggestions, please feel free to let me and everyone else know.

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Rulzer]
    #1977252 - 10/03/03 06:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Offlineummikko

#1977260 - 10/03/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If that doesn?t work, lower the humidity. From your description, its not too low but the opposite. Were all the aborts you had growing from the top of the cakes (where it?s a bit more dry) , or from the bottom? If the cakes are dry mushrooms will grow from the bottom, where there is more water.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Offlinefloridaboi101
Fiddlestix

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: ummikko]
    #1977322 - 10/03/03 07:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ummikko said:
If that doesn?t work, lower the humidity. From your description, its not too low but the opposite. Were all the aborts you had growing from the top of the cakes (where it?s a bit more dry) , or from the bottom? If the cakes are dry mushrooms will grow from the bottom, where there is more water.

i currently have cakes that are growin from top and bottom so this is not a rule of thumb

--------------------
Got weed?

Offlineummikko

Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: floridaboi101]
    #1977357 - 10/03/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I did not mean it to be. Add the words "more likely" in appropriate places. ;-)
Still,
you will probably agree that the variables affecting growth can be different in different parts of the terrarium. Higher humidity near the bottom etc.
And,
that the mushrooms will try to grow where the variables best suit their needs. And that they will not grow in situations where the climate in insuitable for growth.

So,
if you have presented your shrooms with and ideal climate, they will grow from all over the cakes. When the climate is less ideal, however, they will be able to grow only in some parts of the cakes. In other words, top if its too moist in the bottom. Bottom if its too dry in the top.

--------------------

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: Serious humidity prob...need help! [Re: floridaboi101]
    #1977385 - 10/03/03 07:39 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I dont know, humidity might be a problem. Usually perlite keeps humidity near its surface due to the composure of the substance. Humid air stays low, unless you are using a cool mist and perlite is not a cool mist, and I dont think that humidity from perlite can creep over another tub. Mushrooms do not get there moisture from the mycelia. What I think is happening, has happened to me, is the mushroom is not getting enough humidity so it trys to extend surface area by putting out hairs. Like root hairs on the roots of plants. The root extends its surface area to take in as much water as possible. The mushroom is doing the same thing only with the air.

Edited by THATS iT! (10/03/03 07:41 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck