Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking??
    #1973549 - 10/02/03 05:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Alrighty, im finally going to get DSL hooked up....woowhoo!! :laugh:

Let see if i have this right though.....im hooking up 3 computers to it.....

The company is going to come out and hook the line up to the phone line.....from there i hookup to a router...from the router i go to a hub...from the hub i go to computer 1......from hub to computer 2...and from hub to computer 3.....i will need to install some type of card in each comp...(just a networking card right?)

Now for this to work the comps will have to be properly networked with the hub......is this going to be a pain to do? i have no experience with this part of the computer field......

Also...one comp has win 98...one has win ME,....and one has win xp....:Will this pose any problems?

Any input greatly appreciated........

Also any hardware recommendations?

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoseR
slacker
Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: DazedSol]
    #1974076 - 10/02/03 08:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

you need your dsl modem plugged in first, the router plugged into that, and your computers plugged into the router. set the router up to assign ip's via dhcp (this will probably be default), set your boxes to obtain ip addresses via dhcp, and there you go.

you need 10/100 ethernet cards in all your computers in order to get them on the network.

i recommend any router that does the job. :wink:

--------------------
Look at me! http://myspace.com/asininegenius

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: DoseR]
    #1974491 - 10/02/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You could also buy a switch. Just plug everything into the switch. There's no firewall built in, but its cheaper.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1974561 - 10/02/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

switch's are junk...and you can by a router for around the same price..($65-100)

You'll need a network Card in each computer..Cat5 cable
The modem gets hooked up to your cable rather than your phone line, and you run your modem into the router and from the router to the three computers....

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network2.htm

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: funkymonk]
    #1974631 - 10/02/03 10:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Switches and routers are two different things and are not neccesarily interchangeable. And if he got DSL, it comes over a twisted pair and will look like a phone line. If it is broadband through a cable company it will come in over a coaxial cable. Sounds like it is DSL from the phone company.

Anyway there are a couple of ways to do this. You will need an ethernet card for each PC of course. You should be getting a dsl modem from them. This OC connects to the wall jack where the DSL comes in. If you have a static IP address you will need a router running NAT or use your XP box as the gateway with connection sharing. If you are using PPPOE then you can bypass the router and go straight to a switch or hub (use a cross over cable or set the switch port for x-over). From the switch out to the PC's. Each PC would need to have PPPOE set up on it.

I'm sure a search will reveal a bizzillion write ups on doing this.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1975298 - 10/03/03 06:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> Switches and routers are two different things and are not neccesarily interchangeable.

This is correct.  A router is a layer 3 device while a switch is a layer 2 device.  A layer 3 device looks at the IP portion of the packet and is able to route packets based on that information.  A layer 2 device looks at the MAC address of the packet and is able to route packets based on that information.  (Although it isn't 100% correct, you can think of a switch as a 'router' for your local area network while a router is typically used to connect your local area network to a wide area network or to connect various local area networks.)

> switch's are junk...

You are obviously speaking from ignorance.  Go take a few Cisco classes and get your CCNA and then lets talk.

> I'm sure a search will reveal a bizzillion write ups on doing this.

Yep!  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: Seuss]
    #1975997 - 10/03/03 11:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not really speaking from ignorance, I'm speaking my mind..And in my previous experience's, for my needs setting up a home LAN switchs have been junk..

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #1976330 - 10/03/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>I'm not really speaking from ignorance,

Ill dissagree, those four extra ports they put on home routers, ::gasp:: is a switch! Home routers route packets between the WAN port and the LAN port, sometimes they connect the LAN port to a 4 port switch. Without switches you would simply have routers and ::shudder:: hubs..

In addition to all the good layer info provided above.

Since cisco was brought up im going to go off topic for a second and ask if anyone has ever come accross a cisco IOS emulator? Ive taken the cisco networking courses but never had the money to go take the tests, id like to brush up on the router commands and such.

Edited by windex (10/03/03 01:05 PM)

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#1976483 - 10/03/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies guys :laugh:

Im gonna see what kind of modem/router they give me(im going with SBC i think)....then go from there....

Any pros/cons with wireless? (my roommates want wireless...i think it would be cheaper/easier to just run hardline from basement where the connection will be hooked up) 

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1976584 - 10/03/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> since cisco was brought up im going to go off topic for a second and ask if anyone has ever come accross a cisco IOS emulator?

I have one somewhere... I will try to dig it up this weekend for you and put it on an ftp server. I will PM on Monday if I find it.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: Seuss]
    #1977532 - 10/03/03 09:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Cisco does offer what they call a layer 3 switch but even that is realy a combo router/switch.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1978700 - 10/04/03 09:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

funkymonk said:
switch's are junk...and you can by a router for around the same price..($65-100)

I have a 5 port switch I got for $35. I also have a router that has that switch connected to it. There are certain things that switches are good for. If you have a router you'll have to deal with DMZ and port forwarding if your sharing files or playing games that require certain ports. Furthermore, I've had trouble playing Starcraft on battlenet when I try to join a game that my roommate creates.

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

Re: Getting DSL....hooking up 3 comps.....networking?? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1978812 - 10/04/03 11:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've got a 3com OfficeConnect 16 port switch, i got for free...And maybe I just don't know how to set it up the right way or something

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom