Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Dehydrator, Gypsum, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomie McGee
StreetPharmacist
Male

Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum??
    #8270900 - 04/11/08 09:01 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

I was at Home Depot today and I noticed something called "gypsum panels" in the sheetrock section. I asked the guy that worked there and he said that all drywall is pretty much made of gypsum. So I was wondering if you just used crushed up drywall, would it work as good as regular gypsum??

--------------------
I recently came across some Red Cap Vacutainers (GREAT for injection ports or LC) - 10 ml 16x100 mm..... if anyone is interested in trading for some prints or anything actually, PM me

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejinxedsoul
It's all in yourhead.
Male User Gallery

Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: Shroomie McGee]
    #8270911 - 04/11/08 09:04 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

yes

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8270923 - 04/11/08 09:07 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

A lot of people use it.

You need to get rid of the paper in it and make sure you don't buy the stuff treated with fungicides.

In fact a lot of the powdered gypsum you can buy is crushed drywall as you can see by the bits of backing paper you sometimes find in it.

All gypsum is is plaster that has set hard and then ground up (or the natural mineral)

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineShroomie McGee
StreetPharmacist
Male

Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: Nibin]
    #8271015 - 04/11/08 09:25 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

I wonder how you find out if its been treated with fungicides? Unless it says it on the board how would you know?

--------------------
I recently came across some Red Cap Vacutainers (GREAT for injection ports or LC) - 10 ml 16x100 mm..... if anyone is interested in trading for some prints or anything actually, PM me

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8271051 - 04/11/08 09:32 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

It's very simple.

You go to the top of the page. Click on the search button. Put in drywall and fungicide as keywords. :rotfl:

it's there somewhere but I can't be assed to look for you. It has something to do with the colour of the paper

--------------------

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cold places
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: Nibin]
    #8271161 - 04/11/08 09:59 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

You could also ask the staff .. they tend to know these things.

Often times, the addition of a fungicide is marketed by drywall manufacturers as a huge benefit and as such, is boasted in some way or another.

--------------------
-AV-

Offlinemedicine man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: amanitavirosa]
    #8271200 - 04/11/08 10:07 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

It says mold resistant or something to that. It is also more expensive than a regular sheet. They usually carry 3 types. Regular (in a few size thickness') mold resistant and fire retardant.

OfflineMetatron21
Cosmonaut

Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: medicine man]
    #8271581 - 04/11/08 11:25 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Yes. Drywall is made of Gypsum.

My mom's a geologist, and I live in Colorado where there is a town called Gypsum, where they mine it to make dry wall.

Pretty interesting in my opinion, I NEVER knew.:confused:

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #8273006 - 04/12/08 08:12 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Drywall, Wallboard, or sheetrock, as some call it, does not contain any fungicides.

They actually tried to make a board that was mold and mildew resistant, but it didn't work too well. So, they came out with "Green" board which is a moisture resistant variety of sheetrock. It doesn't contain fungicides though.

Yes, you can use sheetrock as your gypsum additive. I wouldn't use the moisture resistant 'green' board panels though.

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (04/12/08 08:18 AM)

OfflineProf. Angstrom
Stranger
Male

Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: doc34]
    #8273110 - 04/12/08 09:52 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I will just chime in and say that everyone here is right on it...but boy is that shit messy, and a pain in the ASS to work with, if you can find garden gypsum do yourself a favor and get that instead. 

I wish I could find a bag of it, drilling out circles and smashing them up with a hammer sucks.  :smile:

--------------------
1st grow complete, boy what a ride!

2nd grow will be the same as the first, only better!

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: Metatron21]
    #8273421 - 04/12/08 12:50 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Metatron21 said:
Yes. Drywall is made of Gypsum.

My mom's a geologist, and I live in Colorado where there is a town called Gypsum, where they mine it to make dry wall.

Pretty interesting in my opinion, I NEVER knew.:confused:

It's actually a pretty simple process. You dehydrate the gypsum mineral to make plaster. Mix the plaster with water which makes it set hard (in the intended shape, drywall in this case)  and turn back into gypsum.

--------------------

InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind...
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: Prof. Angstrom]
    #8273813 - 04/12/08 03:16 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Prof. Angstrom said:
I will just chime in and say that everyone here is right on it...but boy is that shit messy, and a pain in the ASS to work with, if you can find garden gypsum do yourself a favor and get that instead. 

I wish I could find a bag of it, drilling out circles and smashing them up with a hammer sucks.  :smile:

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there. I really like to keep things simple in this hobby, and recently I have started using drywall gypsum in my grain jars.
My method of preparation:
  • get yourself a square foot or two of regular everyday drywall, get two plastic grocery bags (one inside the other). Get a mallet, tennis racquet, maybe a little rug also (tennis racquet for sifting out larger chunks of paper, rug can help create a nice bounce while hammering on concrete outside). I also recommend a face mask, it may get a bit dusty, but its minimal.
  • put the drywall in the bags and hammer away. Its a good lil arm workout. Both bags may get a bit of damage, but since there are two of em, there wont be a mess.
  • Once you feel you've hammered enough and you feel the drywall is powdered enough, sift with the racquet and toss those chunks of paper.

Now you have some gypsum to add where you please. I use it in jars to get non-stick, perfect every time grain.

Using a regular hammer to break drywall up probably blows. Mallet pwnzors. Easy way to cut drywall, a quality work knife cut well into and straight down the backside (paper side) of the drywall(one smooth motion) . It should snap easily.

Offlinekami
newbie grow
Male

Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: Green420Thang]
    #9834467 - 02/20/09 06:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Green420Thang said:
Quote:

Prof. Angstrom said:

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there. I really like to keep things simple in this hobby, and recently I have started using drywall gypsum in my grain jars.
My method of preparation:
  • get yourself a square foot or two of regular everyday drywall, get two plastic grocery bags (one inside the other). Get a mallet, tennis racquet, maybe a little rug also (tennis racquet for sifting out larger chunks of paper, rug can help create a nice bounce while hammering on concrete outside). I also recommend a face mask, it may get a bit dusty, but its minimal.
  • put the drywall in the bags and hammer away. Its a good lil arm workout. Both bags may get a bit of damage, but since there are two of em, there wont be a mess.
  • Once you feel you've hammered enough and you feel the drywall is powdered enough, sift with the racquet and toss those chunks of paper.

Now you have some gypsum to add where you please. I use it in jars to get non-stick, perfect every time grain.

Using a regular hammer to break drywall up probably blows. Mallet pwnzors. Easy way to cut drywall, a quality work knife cut well into and straight down the backside (paper side) of the drywall(one smooth motion) . It should snap easily.

lol dude that is soo ghetto, how much freakin gypsum u use in a month anyway??
i just use a mortar and pessel :smile: now that... that is simplicity
doesnt involve tennis raquets, or rubber mallets or bags or kitchen sinks...

--------------------
My girlfriend used me as a mount!!!! :mad2:

When reading my posts pls refer to my title. A large amount of my knowlege is from this site. I mean to lead no1 a stray

I in no way shape or form partake in any sort of illegal activity, anything i post, say or do in this forum is completley hypothetical and is my way of exercising my right to FREE SPEECH. first amendment biatch

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: kami]
    #9834593 - 02/20/09 06:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Greenboard is usually used in bathrooms and kitchens, areas exposed to moisture.  It is supposed to be more water resistant then normal drywall, and supposedly mold resistant.  Now, if the gypsum is actually treated with fungicides I don't know.  But the fact that green board is usually twice as expensive as normal drywall... you wouldn't wanna by it anyway.

Yes you can break up drywall, thats what I first started doing.  But having to hammer away at the drywall, pick out the paper, pick out the chunks.. etc is way too much work and not worth my time.  You want a nice fine consistency in the gypsum, and the amount of that which you get from hammering away is very little from the effort involved.

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or any small hardware store and go pick up a fat bag of Plaster Of Paris and make sure it doesn't have any additives in it, sometimes they add lime to it.  The stuff has a perfect fine powder consistency.  Thats the only thing I use now.  Besides, buying a big 4x8' sheet, dragging it home and breaking it up is a pain.

For the improvement in overall results with your cultivation, and the time it will save you, going out and buying a big bag of plaster of paris is worth it.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: shroomzey]
    #9834629 - 02/20/09 06:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or any small hardware store and go pick up a fat bag of Plaster Of Paris

If you do that, mix it with water, allow it to set up, and then break it up with a hammer.  It's best not to use it in powder form right out of the bag.  It does the opposite of what you want.

You don't need to get too anal about removing the paper from drywall.  The garden gypsum I get comes from the broken scraps at a drywall plant and is full of paper.  The mycelium eats it right up.  You also don't need to smash it to a fine powder, because as soon as it gets damp in your substrate or casing layer mix, it falls apart.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinevinnyvapor
aspiring mycologist
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: shroomzey]
    #9834666 - 02/20/09 07:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The spacers used to separate the stacked drywall sheets are what I used.  The store will usually just throw them away so you can get them for free.  Yes, I am a cheap bastard.

--------------------
"I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast."

-Ronald Reagan

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9834670 - 02/20/09 07:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If you do that, mix it with water, allow it to set up, and then break it up with a hammer.  It's best not to use it in powder form right out of the bag.  It does the opposite of what you want.

Maybe the method in which I prep my WBS kind of negates that?

I prepare enough WBS for a little over 18 quart jars worth in a bucket, get it thoroughly rinsed, then introduce 170F water to the bucket, and then add in my gypsum @ 10%, stirring well.  That sits for 24 hours, then gets rinsed cleanly, then gets drained for 3-5 hours.  Then loaded and PC'd and I get perfect results now with the grains easily falling apart.  Just like your video with rye.

I was getting the opposite with broken up pieces of drywall, the chunks were too large and didn't really help as well as this fine powder does.  Not to mention that I started going through my spent substrates, breaking them apart and I noticed the medium grade size pieces of gypsum that I had broken up were not getting fully digested by the mycelium.

:shrug:

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Edited by shroomzey (02/20/09 07:08 PM)

Offlineorigin novice
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Ocala, FL Flag
Re: Can you use crushed drywall as gypsum?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19759819 - 03/28/14 02:38 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

love you RR

i looked everywhere for gypsum today. couldnt find any so i got drywall. im going to mash it up in 2 garbage bags 1 piece at a time and siv it with a cooking screen.

resources where i live are nil. i had to trade off coco coir fiber for peat and horse manure with cow manure.

Is peat/cpoo/verm/straw/gypsum still a good casing substrate?
how much more yeild would i get with coir/Hpoo/Wheat straw/gardening gypsum??

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Dehydrator, Gypsum, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation