Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Enviromentalist wackos.
    #1975111 - 10/03/03 06:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Everglades Cleanup Exposes Environmentalists

Friday, October 03, 2003
By Steven Milloy

Don?t tell me that so-called ?environmentalists? are ?for? the environment. The ongoing controversy over the cleanup of the Florida Everglades is further evidence that eco-activists are more interested in uncontested political power and dominating business interests than in workable environmental protection.

The Florida Everglades (search) are experiencing an overgrowth of cattails that crowd out the sawgrass and reduce the habitat for wading birds, alligators and other indigenous species. The cattail growth is fueled in part by run-off from farms and cities that is overly rich in phosphorus, a nutrient essential for plant growth.

By the early 1990s, cattails were overtaking the Everglades at a rate of more than six acres per day.

Thanks to an $8 billion federal-state partnership started in 1994 and implemented by the South Florida Water Management District (search), the rate of cattail growth has been reduced to about two acres per day.

The SFWMD credits innovative ?green? technology (search) for the success. The technology uses algae and microscopic organisms in ?filter marshes? -- 40,000 acres of farmland bordering the northern Everglades -- to clean the phosphorus from the run-off before it flows into the Everglades.

Instead of being pleased, however, the ?environmentalists? are foaming at the mouth.

A 1994 state law set a cleanup deadline of Dec. 31, 2006, for reducing phosphorus (search) levels in water flowing into the Everglades to 10 parts per billion (ppb) -- versus pre-cleanup phosphorus levels of as much as 200 parts per billion.

The 10 ppb standard was arbitrarily selected and perhaps overly stringent. Curtis J. Richardson, director of the Duke University Wetlands Center, told the trade publication Land Letter that 15 ppb might be sufficient for ecological recovery in the system. ?[The 10 ppb level] is a political number. It's not backed by science,? said Richardson.

In any event, eco-friendly filtering marshes were to be constructed to reduce the flow of phosphorus. But no one knew for sure whether they would make the 10 ppb standard attainable.

In knee-jerk fashion, the ?environmentalists? called the 1994 law a sell-out to the sugar industry and claimed it wouldn?t work. They favored their standard expensive, command-and-control crackdown on farming and business interests.

But the filter marshes and new farming techniques employed in a 505,000-acre Everglades agricultural area are working. The SFWMD hopes to have 90 percent of the Everglades with phosphorus levels from 10 ppb to 14 ppb by the 2006 deadline.

Because the 10 ppb standard will not be strictly met by the 2006 deadline, a new state law enacted earlier this year deferred the deadline to 2016. As a practical matter, the last 10 percent of an environmental cleanup operation often is the most challenging.

Though the cleanup is progressing amazingly well, the triviality of the deadline change sent the ?environmentalists? into orbit, even to the point of engaging in harassment and intimidation.

The ?environmentalists? first ran to biased U.S. District Judge William Hoeveler who denounced the deadline extension and moved to place the cleanup under judicial oversight.

Judge Hoeveler was removed from the case last week by another federal judge for telling the press that he doesn?t trust Gov. Jeb Bush, state lawmakers or the SFWMD.

SFWMD board member Mike Collins awoke one April morning to discover his photograph and home phone number plastered on a billboard along U.S. Route 1, one block from his home.

?Polluters love Mike. Save the Bay. Save the Glades. Stop Mike Collins. Call Mike Collins and tell him to stop protecting polluters,? blared the billboard.

The billboard was paid for by The Everglades Trust (search), an eco-activist group.

The ranting against the SFWMD and the sugar industry isn?t limited to local activist groups; it?s a national cause, including groups such as Earthjustice, the Audubon Society, Sierra Club, The Nature Conservancy and the World Wildlife Fund.

The head of Earthjustice has vowed that the growers ?will not get out of this ? they?re going to get a terrible black eye over this -- again.?

A black eye for what?

The Everglades? phosphorus problem is being eliminated with environmentally benign technology that has obviated the need for chemical treatment plants in the Everglades? environs and avoided burdensome costs on the local agriculture industry.

So what if the cleanup is not proceeding according to some arbitrarily rigid timeline and standard demanded by activists with dubious goals?

Is the cleanup about what?s best and achievable for the Everglades or how much political power the ?environmentalists? can wield?

One thing?s for sure. The Everglades controversy is a great showcase for the eco-activists? insincerity and unreasonableness.

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1976421 - 10/03/03 03:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Don?t tell me that so-called ?environmentalists? are ?for? the environment.

Gotta love how you conservatives lump all environmentalists into one category. Are there whacko environmentalists out there? Of course. Do they make up the majority of environmentalists? No.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: silversoul7]
    #1976521 - 10/03/03 04:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Gotta love how you conservatives lump all environmentalists into one category. Are there whacko environmentalists out there? Of course. Do they make up the majority of environmentalists? No.

gotta love how you liberals lump all conservatives into one category. are there lumping conservatives out there? of course. do they make up the majority of conservatives? no.

:tongue:

a little ironic?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: ]
    #1976541 - 10/03/03 04:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

/rimshot/

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1976821 - 10/03/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Don’t tell me that so-called “environmentalists” are “for” the environment.

The "political" environmentalists aren't. I wouldn't trust them.

Quote:

The cattail growth is fueled in part by run-off from farms and cities that is overly rich in phosphorus, a nutrient essential for plant growth.

You think the overgrowth of cattails is the only problem here? No. There are many other problems caused by the huge run off of phosphorus.

Plankton also thrive when there is lots of nitrogen runoff. Enough were the plankton are so thick that it blocks the sun penetrating into the ocean, creating lots of problems for the animals beneath. Plants and other animals which need solar energy to survive die and causes other larger animals to starve.

The environmetal wackos are the ones you should listen to once in a while. Open your mind, and see what they have to say. They are the ones putting their lives on the interest of the environment, and I dont think they do it just for fun.

You "wackos" who think the environment doesn't need help are the ones who really should do some reasearch and take an environmental studies course some day. Equalibrium is the key here.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: ]
    #1976864 - 10/03/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

gotta love how you liberals lump all conservatives into one category. are there lumping conservatives out there? of course. do they make up the majority of conservatives? no.

:tongue:

a little ironic?

touche

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1976975 - 10/03/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

touche

A truly graceful response.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1977499 - 10/03/03 10:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Touche? As that one of them there Freedom words?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: monoamine]
    #1977547 - 10/03/03 11:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

monoamine said:
Touche? As that one of them there Freedom words?

I think he just called him an ass.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: Enviromentalist wackos. [Re: GabbaDj]
    #1977643 - 10/03/03 11:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

no thats Douche

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

General Interest >> Political Discussion