Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union
    #19751056 - 03/26/14 04:10 PM (10 years, 5 days ago)

Can you dig it?

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #19751358 - 03/26/14 05:07 PM (10 years, 5 days ago)

It isn't even a court case.  It is an NLRB ruling that will be stayed in short order on appeal to a real court.

I generally loathe unions but when the employer has a monopoly position I support them.

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: zappaisgod]
    #19799434 - 04/05/14 02:01 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Get a load of the fucking scabs sucking the coaches dick, yaaaa Northwestern has a chance of winning the big ten :rolleyes:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-football/story/_/id/10734087/pat-fitzgerald-urges-northwestern-wildcats-players-vote-union

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: elax420]
    #19799634 - 04/05/14 03:03 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Scabs?  Are you well?

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19800851 - 04/05/14 08:02 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry man i will never work a job that has labor unions not up to date on my terminology.

Disingenuous sell outs that go against their own self interest
Whats the term for that?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#19801046 - 04/05/14 08:43 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Do you have any idea what the issue is here?  Any at all?  Bueller?

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19801086 - 04/05/14 08:51 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Ya, but you clearly don’t.

Carry on hannity nothing to see here.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#19802863 - 04/06/14 09:44 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Do you not realize that they could get fucked by this ruling?  And what do scabs have to do with it?  Do you even know what "scab" means?  And I'm not talking about your acne.

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19803890 - 04/06/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Do you not realize that they could get fucked by this ruling?  And what do scabs have to do with it?  Do you even know what "scab" means?  And I'm not talking about your acne.

Its a hell of a lot bigger than just them and this years football results. Its pretty funny they still fall for the rah rah rah shit at that age, isn’t Northwestern supposed to be a really good school? Ya we wanna keep slaving away for the NCAA taking huge risks physically, at little to no gain for ourselves, while they make billions.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#19804572 - 04/06/14 05:31 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Its a hell of a lot bigger than just them and this years football results. Its pretty funny they still fall for the rah rah rah shit at that age, isn’t Northwestern supposed to be a really good school? Ya we wanna keep slaving away for the NCAA taking huge risks physically, at little to no gain for ourselves, while they make billions.

Oh I don't disagree that the NCAA is a plantation but the ramifications of this could be huge.  Since they have been declared employees do they have to pay taxes on the value of their scholarships?  What happens to the other sports that don't generate revenue and what about Title IX?

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19804624 - 04/06/14 05:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It definitely raises questions, but those are important questions that need answering. How Title 9 especially and the 14th amendment tie in will be interesting.

Like you said earlier, its a monopoly and monopolies are inherently inefficient.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #19817541 - 04/09/14 09:53 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not sure how a Northwestern Union could operate. Unions attempt to coerce companies by withdrawing their labor (strikes) or through intentional work slowdowns. They could not be effective unless they organize most of the NCAA teams. Even if they organized the whole Big Ten, it would just marginalize the conference. Union organization is somewhat popular in parts of the country and very unpopular in other parts

I think its just a scare tactic. The NCAA President has already recommended a $2000 stipend per student athlete. This might be coercion to increase that figure. They might also get a pool of money for injured athletes.

Northwestern has been decent in football recently but they were horrible from about 1960 to 1995. They spent far less money than the Public Big 10 schools and probably have much more stringent academic standards for athletes. Northwestern basketball has never made the NCAA tournament. It is as if they have been employing these work stoppages and slowdowns all along.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: Brian Jones]
    #19817759 - 04/09/14 10:41 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think they're looking to get paid.  I think their main thing is that when they get hurt they aren't taken care of by the school that is making bank on their asses.  I don't think it was either legal, justified or smart for this NLRB Beauroweenie to inject himself here and I fully expect it will be tossed.

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: Brian Jones]
    #19823245 - 04/10/14 12:07 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
I'm not sure how a Northwestern Union could operate. Unions attempt to coerce companies by withdrawing their labor (strikes) or through intentional work slowdowns. They could not be effective unless they organize most of the NCAA teams. Even if they organized the whole Big Ten, it would just marginalize the conference. Union organization is somewhat popular in parts of the country and very unpopular in other parts

I think its just a scare tactic. The NCAA President has already recommended a $2000 stipend per student athlete. This might be coercion to increase that figure. They might also get a pool of money for injured athletes.

Northwestern has been decent in football recently but they were horrible from about 1960 to 1995. They spent far less money than the Public Big 10 schools and probably have much more stringent academic standards for athletes. Northwestern basketball has never made the NCAA tournament. It is as if they have been employing these work stoppages and slowdowns all along.

You make some solid points. I think your second idea would be better than unionization anyway
The NCAA just holds too much market power plain and simple, something needs to be done.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #19850235 - 04/15/14 06:00 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10787521/ncaa-legislative-council-approves-expanded-meal-allowance

They passed a measure for unlimited meals and snacks for student athletes

Overall I think it's a good move, I really hope they dont start paying student athletes, I think that is a step in the wrong direction

The only other thing I think they should have is access to medical coverage for any injuries sustained while in college

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #19850456 - 04/15/14 06:33 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I like the stipend everyone is recommending.  5G is solid amount for a D1 athlete that fills 100,000 seat stadiums week in week out. If they want more, they are just getting greedy. Honestly I think it would make the student athlete argument stronger, the kids could save up 20 g for grad school... Not bad at all.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19850479 - 04/15/14 06:38 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

So you want to pay all college athletes? or only football players? or only football and basketball?

This is the problem I have with paying athletes... because you will have to pay some and not others... A lot of college sports dont even generate revenue for the Universities..

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: Northwestern Players Can Become First College Sports Union [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #19850772 - 04/15/14 07:50 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I say keep it to Basketball and Football, but thats when you start getting into tricky legal waters. I don’t have a law degree so i can’t really comment on how that would play out in regards to title 9 and the 14th amendment :shrug:

In other more obscure collegiate sports the “student athlete” is a much more tangible thing, and their first priority is normally their education.

Another reason why i think they should have to pay Basketball and Football, is because they are required to spend a period in college before becoming professional. I don’t know of any other sports that do that.

As far as the olympics go, there are quite a few medalists every year that are currently college students as well. Like that swimmer girl from london, she gets to keep all that advertisement money for using her image.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19850815 - 04/15/14 07:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

No sport requires college, it requires you to be a number of years removed from high school.

and you cant discriminate by paying some athletes and not others

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19850896 - 04/15/14 08:24 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:
No sport requires college, it requires you to be a number of years removed from high school.

and you cant discriminate by paying some athletes and not others

Ya i don’t know if you can or can’t discriminate, neither do you though, and it what be totally dependent on what criteria they use to do the discriminating.

Assuming they have to pay every athlete; The size of the stipend should be dictated by how much revenue the program brings in. Then everybody gets paid if they are profitable, sounds like the real world.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order