Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStunter4Life
Stranger
ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c
    #1973940 - 10/02/03 07:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

basically my friends friend wants to know if he can use regular mouth quart jars for WBS or cracked corn? what are the advantages for widemouth for grains?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: Stunter4Life]
    #1973959 - 10/02/03 07:18 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yes. widemouth jars are a little easier to work with IMO. they shake easier and it's easier to spoon the substrate out. these are minor considerations. if you've already bought tapered mouth jars or can't find anything else, use them. they'll be fine.

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: ]
    #1974109 - 10/02/03 08:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wide mouth quart jars are prone to contam. I have had experience.

Anonymous

Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: THATS iT!]
    #1974133 - 10/02/03 08:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i've never had that problem. what are you doing for filters?

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: ]
    #1974169 - 10/02/03 08:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wide mouth jars aren't really any more prone to contamination than the regualr jars.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: THATS iT!]
    #1975586 - 10/03/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

THATS iT! said:
Wide mouth quart jars are prone to contam. I have had experience.

Wide mouth jars are no more prone to contamination than regular jars. I'd like hear why you think that they are. If you had some type of contamination outbreak with widemouth jars then it most likely has a great deal more to do with your sterilization procedures. I'm not trying to dis you or anything but you are suspecting the wrong culprit.

I've used wide mouth pint jars for BRF even and even with the increased colonization time there were no contams. I've also used regular mouth jars for grains and got contams across the board because I did something wrong.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1975599 - 10/03/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The mouth is larger so more surface area is exposed to O2, with the regular size less surface area is exposed. It does not matter that a lid is on the jar. The same amount of O2 flows under the lid, but with wide mouth, over more exposed area of substrate. I never used filters so that is one of the reasons for my contam. I dont use wide mouth anymore and I never have any problems with contam.

Edited by THATS iT! (10/03/03 09:10 AM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#1975617 - 10/03/03 09:11 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It's just so easy to pop a hole in the lid and shove some polyfil in the hole. Why not use filters?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
    #1976244 - 10/03/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Pop a hole in the lid? You are asking for contam by introducing an object into the growing area. There should allready be a hole in the lid for inoc. Air also comes in from underneath the lid. The wider the cicumference of the lid the more air comes in. I just tape over my inoc. hole with masking tape. The bottom of the tape is sterile because it has only been exposed to air twice. Once at the time the tape was wrapped and twice when you pull it off. Mycelia doesnt need that much air to colonize, just enough that comes in underneath the tape and lid.

Edited by THATS iT! (10/03/03 12:32 PM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#1976681 - 10/03/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You misunderstood what I was talking about. What you want to do is, before you start anything else, drill a hole about 1/4" in the center of your lid and no others. Stuff that hole with ployfil as tight as you can. When you put the lid on after you have put the grain in the jars put it on rubber seal down as if you were canning vegitables. PC as normal, let cool and inoculate through the polyfil by pushing the needle through it.

Done that way, you don't have any openings around the perimeter to intrduce contams and the only hole is filtered.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1977133 - 10/03/03 05:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't even use the lids, just the rings and tyvek.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Re: ok to use non-wide mouth quart jars for WBS and/or cracked c [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1977351 - 10/03/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

good thinking. I will try that. What kind of polyfil do you use and where might I obtain that?

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#1977425 - 10/03/03 08:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Go to the sewing section of Wal-Mart and look for a big plastic bag filled with white fluff. It should say poly-fill on the bag. A $3.00 bag will last forever almost.

--------------------

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
    #1978668 - 10/04/03 09:17 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag